Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Feeling so FRUSTRATED by fleece bedding

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I have invested A LOT of my time and some money into making fleece bedding with two layers of uhaul padding underneath. I haven't sewn them together but that wouldn't matter in regards to this current issue.
The uhaul pads have been washed at least 3x. I changed the piggie bedding on Wednesday evening. This morning, as I was doing the "every morning poop and hay clean" I realized that my uhaul pads had soaked through to the bottom in a few places. I was hoping to make it until at least tomorrow before changing the bedding, otherwise it feels like I should just get carefresh again, it feels like more work to have the fleece!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I should add we have a 2X4 C&C cage with a 1X2 loft - which sees a lot of use- for 2 recently rehomed adult females.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can tell you that I have 3 boars, all on fleece and they have been for years. Sly is on his own, with "access" to the kids. The "kids" are a pair of 10 month old boars, who are already full grown and then some.

I change their fleece bedding every 72 hours. That's about the max I've gotten for 2 pigs. Sly doesn't necessarily need it every 72 hours, but he spends enough time in his pigloo chilling that it soaks through in that one spot, and no matter where I put his pigloo, he relocates it to that same damn spot.

Sly also has his own 2x4, with an attached 2x3 pen and the kids have the same, 2x4 with a 2x3 pen.

As far as costs go, fleece may be more work, but in the long run FAR less costly. I was going through 2-3 bags of Carefresh a month, at roughly $30 a bag where I live.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're peeing a lot in one or two spots, you could make some extra pads to put there.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I should add we have a 2X4 C&C cage with a 1X2 loft - which sees a lot of use- for 2 recently rehomed adult females.

Do you have a Cavy Cafe or kitchen area underneath the loft or are you using straight, 100% fleece?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Using straight fleece right now. I'm looking for the right size pan to fit under the loft now to make a kitchen area, but they really pee and poop everywhere. Mostly making the kitchen area to help with hay control as much as anything else. Many of their highly concentrated pee areas seem to be in places where they are out in view.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Shieme

Cavy Slave
So you have to change fleece out ever few days? What's the difference between fleece and towels? How often do you need to chance uhaul pads (I have moving blankets which I hope are the same thing).

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Changing uhaul pads (moving pads) every 3 days MAX. What do you mean the difference between fleece and towels? Towels would get soaked and stinky right quick on top.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You change the uhaul pads with the fleece. If you wash the fleece once a week then you'll be washing the uhaul once a week, assuming the two are connected to make a liner.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Yes, correct. I was responding to Shieme. And they get washed 2-3x per week, I have 2 sets right now.

@CavyTV - mine aren't sewn together, I am not crafty and need to have a friend with a sewing machine help me, but for now I have fleece, 2 uhaul pads, and mostly fleece on the bottom just to protect the uhaul pads. Soon I will sew them together. I would love to be able to afford to buy nice, well-made liners, but between the piggies, their first cage, investing in the large C&C with loft and stand, and all the other piggie costs have set us back close to $400 this month.

And then our older dog came down with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which was brutal, not so costly at the vet, but costly feeding the dogs separate things, especially when one them eats expensive raw and the other now needs special "stomach-friendly" cooked meals!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Hmmm.... my towels, I use beach towels, don't stay soak till the 2nd day. But I use layers. I'm scared of URI. Thanks on the moving pads washing. I thought I did a mistake in getting them.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello I agree with what others said cavvy kitchen is your friend. If you have extra coroplast you can make your own. I would make it at least 1x2 grids so there is plenty of space for both of your boys to use it in the same time. Then just dump in your carefresh and a large pile of hay, most of the potty should be done in it. Also do you use potty pads? I have one under each water bottle, one under each fleece forest, in each tunnel and any hidey. I also put two in a corner they always seem to use. Granted I do have females but I only have to wash my main fleece liner once a week. I do switch out the potty pads every two to three days depending on how well it is used. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.