Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay in eye...TWICE...salvageable?

springerrr

Cavy Slave
TWICE over the past six weeks my daughter discovered Napoleon's right eye looked a little hazy and discovered straw in his eye. The straw had not penetrated the eye, and she removed it immediately. After the first episode, his eye seemed much improved but then this happened again yesterday. Please see picture which was take 12 hours after the second episode (left eye also pictured for comparison). Why is this happening?? Does the eye appear salvageable?

Attachments

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.33.31 AM.jpg

miniver

Cavy Slave
One of my girls is prone to eye injuries and crusties. I have to check her every morning and every night to make sure they are clear and hay free. I can also tell if there is a problem if she's blinking her eyes alot. In fact, I just pulled a peice out this morning. You would think she would learn after the first few times. She's very pretty but not too bight.
I hope Napoleon is okay.

springerrr

Cavy Slave
Does her eye turn foggy as Napoleon's has?

One of my girls is prone to eye injuries and crusties. I have to check her every morning and every night to make sure they are clear and hay free. I can also tell if there is a problem if she's blinking her eyes alot. In fact, I just pulled a peice out this morning. You would think she would learn after the first few times. She's very pretty but not too bight.
I hope Napoleon is okay.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Not yet, thankfully. It looks like your piggy has more than a simple hay poke. I think you should take him to a vet, but I don't know alot about this stuff. Here's the link to the sight many of us seem to be using for medical advice.

https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#signs

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I say he needs to see the vet. I had a piggy named Ellie who crawled through her hay and shoved her entire head right in. One day she started acting REALLY strange, took her out of the cage and saw that something was really wrong with her eye. We took her to the vet the second they opened in the morning. They ended up having to put her under to get at a piece of hay seed that was a good two inches long that had gotten behind her eye.

My point? Just because you caught two of them before they got behind the eye doesn't mean that another piece didn't. That eye looks super painful and I would take him in to the vet asap.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Yikes... Is the hay you buy really dry or hard? Or does your pig just shove its whole head in the hayrack or something?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Eye injuries are very painful. He needs antibiotic drops, which only a vet can prescribe, and possibly something for pain.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would take him to the vet as soon as possible, eye injuries are painful. (My pig, Adi, poked herself in the eye with hay last year, and it looked exactly like that. I took her in to the vet and she just had to take some antibiotics and eye drops for a few weeks, and now her eye is back to normal).

Keep us posted!

springerrr

Cavy Slave
I grabbed some eye triple-antibiotic we had around the house. I'm not sure if it was the medicine or just time (he looked a lot better just 12 hours after the first application), but you can see he looks much better!!

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 9.06.18 AM.jpg

TWICE over the past six weeks my daughter discovered Napoleon's right eye looked a little hazy and discovered straw in his eye. The straw had not penetrated the eye, and she removed it immediately. After the first episode, his eye seemed much improved but then this happened again yesterday. Please see picture which was take 12 hours after the second episode (left eye also pictured for comparison). Why is this happening?? Does the eye appear salvageable?

miniver

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear that Napoleon's doing much better. Hopefully he's learned his lesson...but probably not. Hay tastes better when you dive right in! Keep those eye drops handy.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Eye injuries should be treated with a special ophthalmic antibiotic cream. Triple is fine to use for everywhere else, but the eyes should have special ointment applied to them. Keep an eye on him in case it causes any irritation.

After a hay poke, or just a little hay in the corner of the eye, I like to do a saline flush of the eye. I use a syringe so as it goes in the direction it should (toward the nose), but if you don't have a syringe (one without a needle, FYI), you can just soak a wash cloth in it and wipe toward the nose, not toward the ears, which ensures anything you move around or dislodge gets pushed further out instead of further in.

springerrr

Cavy Slave
No, no this was ophthalmologic ointment..no worries!
Thank you for the advice!

Eye injuries should be treated with a special ophthalmic antibiotic cream. Triple is fine to use for everywhere else, but the eyes should have special ointment applied to them. Keep an eye on him in case it causes any irritation.

After a hay poke, or just a little hay in the corner of the eye, I like to do a saline flush of the eye. I use a syringe so as it goes in the direction it should (toward the nose), but if you don't have a syringe (one without a needle, FYI), you can just soak a wash cloth in it and wipe toward the nose, not toward the ears, which ensures anything you move around or dislodge gets pushed further out instead of further in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.