Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Durian's med thread

peanny77

Cavy Slave
My three guinea pigs Peanut,Chocolate and Jackfruit have lived together for 7 months.I was told they’re all girls.So recently I went to the countryside for 9 days,my relative took care of the pigs.After returning home,I noticed that Peanut and Chocolate’s tummies are bigger than usual and Jackfruit’s was the same size as before.I thought that Jackfruit wasn’t eating and there is a problem with her so I picked her up to check on her.Then,I saw that her privates were different from the others and discovered Jackfruit was a boy :((

I am really afraid that the girls are pregnant bc of their big tums.They seems to eat normally but they lie down a lot too.I tried to feel the fetuses in their wombs but I can’t feel anything.Jackfruit was separated immediately after I discovered his boy parts (he will be neutered soon).I think Chocolate can take it because she is 8 months old,but Peanut is 2 YEARS OLD!!!I know about the pregnancy complications and costs.She is healthy right now.Is there anything I can do to help her?She is just the sweetest thing ever...

P/s:I’m a minor and a fairly new guinea pig owner so I can’t go anywhere too far away from home and pay expensive vet bills (my parents can).I can’t get a job.

Attachments

53FDFE11-A529-48CC-B27E-8EF6BD5BB16E.jpg 64EA9043-E26B-49EB-A451-F0226F4D7E36.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Re: My 2 years old guinea pig is probably pregnant!

Older sows can still successfully birth for the first time, if they have several smaller pups the chances are good, if they have one or two bigger pups they are much more likely to get stuck. There isn't much you can do other then possibly having an x-ray done later in the pregnancy to see how many pups there are, and having an emergency vet and regular guinea pig savvy vet in case of complications at any time of the day.

Have you considered the option of waiting for the pups to be born and seeing if there are any male pups before going ahead with the neuter? If having two separate cages, and possibly keeping a male pup if there is one to be cage mates with the dad is something your parents would be on board with. It would save an expensive surgery, but it would increase the ongoing upkeep costs by having an extra guinea pig.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Older sows can still successfully birth for the first time, if they have several smaller pups the chances are good, if they have one or two bigger pups they are much more likely to get stuck. There isn't much you can do other then possibly having an x-ray done later in the pregnancy to see how many pups there are, and having an emergency vet and regular guinea pig savvy vet in case of complications at any time of the day.

Have you considered the option of waiting for the pups to be born and seeing if there are any male pups before going ahead with the neuter? If having two separate cages, and possibly keeping a male pup if there is one to be cage mates with the dad is something your parents would be on board with. It would save an expensive surgery, but it would increase the ongoing upkeep costs by having an extra guinea pig.

Thank you for helping me.I am not sure if they’re just fat or pregnant.Both of them are pretty small pigs,so are there any possible complications if the sow is really small.I can’t feel any fetuses so if they are pregnant,they’re in the early stage of pregnancy,right?I know I’m asking a lot but this is my first time dealing with this problem.I think I won’t have an x-ray now,because it won’t show anything until the bones mineralize.I would add more calcium and vit c in their diet if they were really pregnant.And weigh them weekly too.

I have considered that option,but my house is too small for one more piggy cage,and next year will be a very busy school year so I don’t think I have the time to clean their fleece.Jackfruit is also very dominant and I’m afraid that he will attack the pup.Neutering and spaying in my country isn’t as expensive as you think,only $13.00 to $34.66 for a cat!It should be cheaper for a guinea pig.

I still hope Peanut and Chocolate aren’t pregnant...They always chase Jackfruit off when he tries to mount them.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Looks like I posted this thread in the wrong forum.I’m a new user.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I moved it.

Soecara

Cavy Slave

Neutering and spaying in my country isn’t as expensive as you think,only $13.00 to $34.66 for a cat!It should be cheaper for a guinea pig.

You might be thinking along the wrong lines when it comes to the cost of neutering a guinea pig. The surgery is more complicated (guinea pigs have an open inguinal canal which most other animals don't), it needs a specialized vet (exotic vet typically) with experience in guinea pig neuters, and they need a different anesthetic for guinea pigs. For these reasons it usually costs significantly more to neuter a guinea pig then a cat or dog. For example where I live it costs around $150 to neuter a cat or small dog, but to neuter a guinea pig would cost around $400.

It still may be the right choice to have him neutered if another cage is not an option, just be aware that you really need to find a vet and get an estimate on the price from them to see how much it will actually cost.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

The surgery is more complicated (guinea pigs have an open inguinal canal which most other animals don't), it needs a specialized vet (exotic vet typically) with experience in guinea pig neuters, and they need a different anesthetic for guinea pigs. For these reasons it usually costs significantly more to neuter a guinea pig then a cat or dog.

I didn’t know about that,I thought all they need to do is remove the testicles?I will call the vet and ask them about the neutering cost.

There is another problem,the cavy savvy vet’s is too far away from my home so only my parents can take my pigs there.If there are complications while giving birth,we won’t be able to take them there on time.Maybe if I see it coming,I will take them to the vet’s and let them give birth there?

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Ok so this is an update on my sows.I think their tums has gone significantly bigger.They still consume the same amount of food and water and are still very active.Peanut(tricolor) has a bit of hair loss,is there any problems about it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

If you haven't separated the male, do so immediately. Sows can get pregnant immediately after giving birth. Back-to-back pregnancies are very hard on sows and the second litter of pups, and the death rate is high. If he's in the cage and she gives birth when you're not there, she'll be pregnant again.

Hair loss can be caused by poor diet, parasites, or fungus.

Where on her body is she losing hair? Is it all over, or just in patches? If in patches, do they have any particular shape?

What exactly is her diet like? What kind of pellets, and how many? What veggies, and how much of each?

peanny77

Cavy Slave

If you haven't separated the male, do so immediately. Sows can get pregnant immediately after giving birth. Back-to-back pregnancies are very hard on sows and the second litter of pups, and the death rate is high. If he's in the cage and she gives birth when you're not there, she'll be pregnant again.

Hair loss can be caused by poor diet, parasites, or fungus.

Where on her body is she losing hair? Is it all over, or just in patches? If in patches, do they have any particular shape?

What exactly is her diet like? What kind of pellets, and how many? What veggies, and how much of each?

Jackfruit was separated immediately after I saw his male privates.Peanut only has a small patch on her side.The patch is oval shaped.
I am feeding my sows alfafa hay and alfafa based pellets (to give them extra calcium).Their veggies are:carrots,green leaf lettuce,water spinach(I live in Southeast Asia),corn husks and corn silk,parsley(I stopped feeding this to them) and sometimes guava.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I cannot believe my eyes!Chocolate gave birth to three healthy babies yesterday.She had no complications and the babies are tiny.I hope this is the case for Peanut as well.So they got pregnant much sooner than I thought and Peanut is going to give birth this week.I have to take her to the vet asap,because she is 2 yo and needs intervention with the pups.
Do I have to syringe feed the pups or the mom?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Neither. Feed them all good quality pellets, hay and veggies, and they'll eat on their own.

Make sure they're in a large cage. The pups can have their ears nibbled if they're crowded.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I took Peanut to the vet today.The vet confirmed there aren’t any dead pups in her belly.I didn’t ask for an ultrasound because she is gonna give birth soon so it’s harmful to hold her upside down.The vet also told me if I take her there to give birth,she would be really stressed because of the sounds and smell of the other animals;so it’s best to let her give birth at home.I have the vet’s phone number.Please tell me how to intervene with the pups if she has any complications,because the vet’s is far away from home and we can’t take her there on time.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

A miracle happened to Peanut.She has successfully given birth to three healthy baby boys.I am so relieved,I couldn’t believe a 2 year old guinea pig could give birth without any complications.I’ve just went downstairs to check on her and saw three more little critters.Now Chocolate and Peanut is living in the same enclosure with their pups.
However,Chocolate is nursing her pups well,but Peanut runs away from her pups almost every time they try to nurse on her.This is probably because she is a first time mother and is scared of her pups.How can I make her nusre her pups? Poor Chocolate,almost all of the pups are snuggling under her.Both of them takes care of each other’s pups;and some of the pups are eating on their own.Peanut is completely OK now.It’s time to baby-proof the cage.
I will never let this happen again.I know how to sex guinea pigs now.

Attachments

701A6713-1CA7-4AE9-83A4-5C80B8AAC524.jpg BCFC2337-D3C9-48EF-9B05-479CCA06F00E.jpg 42BEF767-1512-491B-94BB-051F516EFDEF.jpg

Thunder

Cavy Slave

I can’t help you with that because I don’t know anything about guinea pig pregnancy. I just wanted to say they are so cute. They are tiny compared to their mothers.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Oh no...I thought everything is done when Peanut gives births succsessfully.
But no...One of Chocolate’s pups is weak.The other pups stepped on him and injured his leg.He can’t walk properly,so he can’t even nurse on his mom!It’s in the middle of the night in Southeast Asia now,so I can’t do much except syringe feeding the pup with mashed up alfafa pellets and hold Chocolate so he could nurse on her.I don’t think there is much hope for him..He’s almost lying on his side now.I’m doing my very best to save him.

Soecara

Cavy Slave

I'm sorry for the pup from Chocolate. However from the sounds of it I think there is more going on with it then just an injured leg.

I'm glad Peanut had a safe delivery, I'm glad she had multiple as that means they would have been smaller which gave her the best shot possible at a safe unaided delivery. I wouldn't be too concerned with Peanuts dislike of her pups, and the pups instead going to Chocolate to nurse. It is pretty common for sows who birth within a close period of time to "share" the pups, and often that "sharing" is quite uneven. Also keep in mind Peanut would not have her milk in yet which may also be playing a factor in her not wanting to nurse pups just yet.

I once had 2 sows who birthed days apart (adopted from the same previous home together). One sow had 2 pups first, then the second sow had 3 pups. All 5 pups initially suckled from the mum who gave birth first as the other sow seemed to hate them all and would chase them away. After a few days the second sow would only let one pup suckle from her (and it was one of the 2 from the other mother!), and that is the way it stayed until the pups weaned.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Peanut has her milk now and is nursing all of the pups (except for the weak pup from Chocolate).Her pups are even bigger than Chocolate’s 3 day old pups.And about that weak pup,he can’t even get up and is lying on the floor very lifelessly (not on his side).Chocolate doesn’t reject him (she licks him when he’s near).When he is nursing on her and she runs away (to eat),he doesn’t follow her like other pups do.The 5 others are all healthy and active.
I don’t think he could survive...I have nothing here to syringe feed him and dad is not home.Even if he were here,he would refuse to order Critical care for him.The others are stepping on him again...I even put him and Chocolate alone in one cage,but he still doesn’t nurse on her.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Also,the other pups are also stepped on,but they get up right away and acts just fine.Like the biggest pup from Chocolate.He runs loops around the cage and gets accidentally stepped on by the sows and other pups but he is still healthy and strong.
This weak pup,if he only has an injuried leg,then he should be more alert than that...He is very lethargic and all he can do now is scream whenever he is stepped on.

Attachments

4AC2A50E-F5A7-47C3-9D28-FC084DD0A3E1.jpg F4CC6CBA-0848-45A8-AAE0-E3E768BAB0D0.jpg 85C25C1E-325B-4362-9317-72EAA64B899A.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.