Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts My piggie has ovarian cysts!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
The vet was talking about Lupron. Is that the same med that other people have used? What is the other one?

As I mentioned in my post I've used Lupron and HCG. Lupron was cheaper than the HCG, but I don't remember the exact price. I would have to dig through my bills to find it.

ETA: We considered both successful because symptoms stopped/never appeared.

ETAA: Neither of the cysts were very large. Can you post a picture of the cysts xray? But, my pig was 3.5 years when she went through her spay surgery and she came out of it fine. They had to remove a 1lb tumor from her uterus, and pretty much everyone thought she was going to die. She bounced back really well, and it was over a year later when her other health problems got her.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The vet said some people choose not to have the surgery and just leave it alone. Has anyone here done that? It is expensive, and she is already 3 1/2 yrs old. It is hard to decide what to do. I asked about medications instead. He said her cyst is so big they probably won't work, and the meds are even more expensive than the surgery.

3 1/2 is not old for a pig and they still have a long life ahead. Surgery is a must because the cyst can rapture. Vet told us that most of the surgeries are successful unless there is some other health issue he was not aware of. My pig is 2 years and her surgery was success. It was pricey but she is part of our family so we did not think twice about it.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I ask out of curiosity. How much is pricey?

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
I ask out of curiosity. How much is pricey?

In New York City around 300 plus consultation x ray and ultrasound add another 150 plus 4 different types of medicine dont know the exact price but my husband said he spend close to 1000 all together.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I had to ask because pricey is subjective. That's around what I was thinking. :)

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I had to ask because pricey is subjective. That's around what I was thinking. :)

Yes, pricey but don't break the bank. Plus we have a great vet and everything went well:)

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
I think our other piggie may have ovarian cysts too. She actually has more of the typical symptoms of aggressiveness and thinning hair. I have wondered for a while whether her abdomen feels too full. Now that I know about pig (broken link removed) 's cysts, I think for sure that pig (broken link removed) has lumpiness in her abdomen. She is eating well though, unlike pig (broken link removed) , so I didn't think to do anything about it.

I made an appointment for pig (broken link removed) to have an evaluation and maybe x-ray. If BOTH pigs have ovarian cysts, then it might make more sense to buy the lupron and treat them both. Spaying both pigs would be close to $1500, I think, and seems too weird and complicated. Pig (broken link removed) is 4.5 years old.

Looba_2002

Cavy Gazer
Me and my Guinea pigs

Hi I'm Naece I am 12 and I have 1 dog lolly, 2 cats missy and fuzzy and my 2 guinea pigs Leonard and Sheldon

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.