Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

soft guinea poop and the hiccups

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
Is their poop supposed to be smooshy or hard because in the morning it is soft and later in the day its hard what food does this. What do you do when they get the hiccups. Let them drink water like us I am not sure.

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the poops, but can you describe the "hiccups"? I'm not sure guinea pigs get hiccups, you might need to take your pig to the vet.

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
It was like he was vibrating then it stopped but he started running and it went away so I think he is ok. The poop is just sort of wet not his normal poop thought water could be a problem or lettuce.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Stop feeding veggies until his poop goes back to normal, just let him eat his hay. Then slowly introduce them again & watch the amount, try to keep it around a cup in total spread out in in 2-3 feedings. Occasional hiccups are fine, nothing you can do about it.

What veggies do you feed on a daily basis?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Softer poop - that squishes down if they step in it - is typically not a problem. It should still be well formed or shaped. If it seems like the poop is too soft, or is ever runny, then definitely be more aggressive in diet change, as @HannibalLecter suggested & described.

If the poop is just a typical cycle of softer in the morning, harder later in the day, I probably would not worry much at all. You could perhaps look at what time you are giving veggies (is it all at night and therefore lots of water?) and spread that out a bit into a few different times. Or perhaps he's getting pellets at night and that is causing him to drink a lot of water with it. Either way, a more consistent diet throughout the day should give him more consistent poop.

Hiccups are nothing to worry about. They will pass. Don't give water as your piggie could choke or pull some into the lungs. I have one piggie (and it's only the one) that seems to get hiccups on a pretty regular basis. She looks a bit shocked when it's happening, then goes back to running around when it's over. No harm done :)

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't stop veggies until it is loose poo. What it sounds like to me is fresh poo- not soft. Fresh poo has a shiny, wet look while older poo is hard...

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
It's just too soft you know but I thought it was fresh poop as well I really give him lettuce and carrots in his diet. He won't eat some ogre stuff for some reason oh and celery he will eat. It wasnt like this when i first got him that is why I am asking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.