Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Do you prefer rabbits or guinea pigs?

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
Oh haha very true I had a dumb moment thinking rabbits were rodents there for a second :p

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Oh, yes, my son has rats. They DO have a smell. It isn't so bad that I would not want them in the house. But the rats are usually the first cage to get an odor.
I confess that the rats nevertheless have really grown on me. :D

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
That's weird I have 3 rats and they don't smell at all, I wipe down the cage for like 30 seconds every morning with a baby wipe and deep clean every week...hmm

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
We used to have rabbits (& just about everything else!) when I was a child & teenager living on a farm.
Of course there is more knowlege around now than there used to be, with rabbits & guinea pigs being transitioned from traditional outdoor living to indoors. That being so, maintenance has become higher as well, something I have to say many people including my sister don't understand.

Before I got my girls my original intention was to get a rabbit, until I saw these georgeously cute baby piggies!

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are pretty darn cute. And so are rabbits! I love the lionheads and the holland lops :)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My female gp doesn't smell at all. Sometimes if I'm sick, the total clean out cage will stretch to 2 weeks, and no smell. I use wood pellets in her kitchen and fleece flippers the rest of the way. Even when I was using disposable paper pellet bedding, there was no smell. And she doesn't smell at all. Maybe I'm lucky if gps are supposed to have a smell.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
My boys just smell when they scent mark and that's pretty much it.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
That's weird I have 3 rats and they don't smell at all, I wipe down the cage for like 30 seconds every morning with a baby wipe and deep clean every week...hmm

We have 4 girl rats, but it is my 14 year old son who keeps them and cleans the cage.. (perhaps there's a reason for the smell in that description, lol )

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
@Gandalf hahahah. I have had rats for years and I learned quickly that if you do not clean the cage on a regular basis, you are screwed haha. This is why I am now a clean freak with my turtle, rats, and now guinea pig! Lol

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are easier

Rabbits are more like cats. Guinea pigs are more like other small animals. It is more upsetting for me to see a rabbit in a small cage or by itself because they are very smart. Rabbit pee smells caustic. Rabbits need a lot of attention. I had a male rabbit that became territorial and would charge people. It was pretty scary. Guinea pigs are more docile, they only rarely bite (nip). Rabbits get their way, always, unless they go limp/play dead/give up. I shouldn't say that, actually, because there are some breeds that are more mellow.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.