Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Piggie's head got crushed under knee

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
So my guinea was eating grass at the park and I was bouncing up and down on my knee. However on one bounce Piggie, one of my guinea pigs, dive under my knee. My knee was brought down on her skull. She leapt up and ran away squeaking. I need help ASAP why can I do? I can't go to the vet, my mom won't let me spend money on guinea pigs, as she strongly hates rodents. Even if I pay with my own money she won't let me go.

What at can I do?!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you aren't allowed to take them to a vet you shouldn't have them. Find a rescue and surrender them.

Second, why on earth would you be bouncing/jumping with 2 lb animals loose around you?

What is the injured animal doing now?

There aren't any home remedies for a skull fracture. Talk to your mom about getting her to a vet. Otherwise, your option is to wait and see if she improves or dies. Not a terribly humane option.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I wasn't bouncing. I was sitting down and bounced off my heel.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
You know like when you're squatting and you bounce off your heel?

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
You should not be playing with your wee little piggie in that manner, they are small and fragile pets and need to be cared for.
Tell your mum that if you don't consult a vet it could lead to major problems and she (your mum) is letting that small inocent creature suffer. And by letting your piggie suffer it's doing a great deal to that little animals body.

So to be clear, don't play with your piggie again in that manner. It's seriosly dangerous and can result in bad injuires.
And thats what has just happend. Don't let your piggie get hurt agin.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I wasn't playing with her, I was plopping down and bounced off my heel. My knee landed on top of Piggie's head. I feel really bad about it. I felt around her head there were no bumps right after the accident. she was walking around fine right after the accident. Thank you for reading this.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
Ok, You were not playing with her.
But you need to be more careful on where your pig is.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Here's what you said ...
...I was bouncing up and down on my knee. However on one bounce...
"On one bounce ..." indicates more than one, which indicates whether you were 'playing' or not, you were doing this repeatedly whilst a 2-3 pound animal(s) ran near/around you, which resulted in one with her skull under your knee in a potentially VERY dangerous, possibly deadly, situation. Whatever the case, you should be more aware of your pets' fragility and put their safety first and keep it in mind at all times.

If the animal is seemingly alright now, that is a good sign - though this still doesn't answer the question you raised also in your original post ... if your mother won't let you take them to a vet, you need to figure something out, because it's very likely that at some point, even if you manage to resist the urge to engage in very dangerous and irresponsible behavior like that which you mentioned in your original post near and around them, they will need to see a vet for one reason or another - illness, injury, etc. You need to not only have a competent vet in mind, but a way to get your pet(s) to that vet. Work something out with your mom so that you can get them the care they need when they need it (now or in the future) or consider rehoming them or surrendering them. It is not acceptable to have a pet for which you aren't certain you cannot provide medical care when the need inevitably arises.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
i'm not home right now but I will check on her as soon as I get home. Hopefully she is okay. If she is going to have serious changes in her, when can I expect to see them?

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
She's doing fine. I felt around her head and compared it to my other sow and the skull shapes are identical. She is running around eating and drinking like normal. Her eyes are clear and she is not losing weight aside from the normal fluctuations.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear she is okay! Be more careful next time.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for caring! After it happened I almost burst into tears thinking about what I might have did to her.

BonnieJ

Cavy Slave
I showed my 13 year old son this post last night. Not that he acts crazy around the animals but because I think my kids think I am paranoid when I tel them not to do certain things around our animals. I said this is why I am always telling you about being careful and thinking about what could happen if you're not careful.

So thank you for this because at least now my son knows I am not a crazy over protective parent/pet owner. I also saw the look of horror on his face when he read about what happened to your piggie. Lucky for him I would take his pet to the vet immediately if anything ever happened. I hope you can figure out how you will get care for your pig in the future because things could have been much worse .

I am glad your pig is doing well and I hope you have learned something here :)

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I am normally very careful around my girls but that day I was extra energetic because I hadn't been out of the house. I learned that simply bouncing off my heel could seriously hurt a guinea pig and in the future I will take extra precautions to prevent any accidents.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
I can't go to the vet, my mom won't let me spend money on guinea pigs, as she strongly hates rodents. Even if I pay with my own money she won't let me go.

What at can I do?!

Please don't acquire any more pigs if you are not able or allowed to take them to a vet when they are sick or injured. I know you care for your animals and might indeed provide a good home for them while they are healthy. But guinea pigs (or any animal for that matter) don't magically live healthy lives until one day they pass away in their sleep. Eventually they will need medical care to either recover from injury or illness, or to ease suffering.

For the ones you have, please consider re-homing them now if you cannot convince your mom that their lives are valuable enough to take on this responsibility. Once they are sick or injured, it will be too late to re-home.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Great news! After some persuasion my mom agreed that I could take my girls to a vet if I payed with my own money. my dad seems kind of neutral with it but he was the one that told my mom oh the guineas need a bigger cage let's let our daughter get the cage she thinks they've been needing. So we got a Midwest! Hopefully my dad will help me out with the vet situation because as of now I'm walking to the vet by myself.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
That's excellent news. Now is the best time to start saving up for a future visit. Hopefully you'll never need to use the money, but it's great to be prepared. Good luck.

Dashmo

Cavy Slave
I'm glad your piggie is doing well. I'm kind of disappointed that the first response to your post basically ordered you to surrender your animals, but you have to understand that the words "crushed under knee" are likely to elicit emotional responses.

Seems that you and perhaps others have learned a lesson here, and it also sounds like you were able to educate your parents a bit. So in the end, this may end up being a positive thing. I'm sure you're aware that it could have easily gone the other way, so no need to berate you with that. Good luck to you and your pigs.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
you dodged a bullet, glad your girl seems perfectly ok, maybe the grass under her head cushioned the impact of your knee

you didn't mention: at the park do you use an enclosure (several grids depending on how many you have out) and make sure they have shade? and a water source or fresh (wet) veggies?

I don't want to "pile on" but your pets rely completely on you to be as knowledgeable as possible ~ do you check the greens before exposing them? check all the sources you can, the plants growing wild are known as "forages"

sounds like your Dad is a natural ally for you, be careful not to alienate your Mom, she may just need a bit of education to see that Guinea Pigs aren't the usual "rodent", and in time she may gradually come around... that's what happened with MY Mum

If they see you online researching here and at Guinealynx, and plenty of other sources, they will know you are serious about the best care possible, and maybe that will impress them to "give in" a bit more

Find out in advance what the Vet visit will cost. Sadly, they are very expensive even just for a wellness exam. Baseline bloodwork gets recommended, typically doubling the amount. Devoting yourself to Guinea Pigs is an investment in both time & money, maybe your Dad would like to "co-care" with you?

It was brave of you to post this accident here, you obviously love your guineas as you got them a bigger cage, I hope everything works out well for you

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
It's a lawn used without fertilizer but I call it a park, there are trees that provide lots of shade. They eat the grass but we are not out for long when they want to go back in they make sure I know! My mom is definitely warming up to them, she admitted she would not want them dying. I think she doesn't like rodents because she grew up with rats and mice in her house-- as vermin. My mom does feed then veggies sometimes though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.