Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Not eating pellets, try this.....

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
20150608_075935.jpg

Okay, so my two piggies rarely ate their pellets. Seems like it took weeks for them to finish off what I put in their bowls. The other day, I was doing my morning sweep of the fleece, and I propped there bowls on an angle in the cage so I can sweep around them. I forgot to put them flat on the cage floor. Boy, do they like the bowls that way. Almost daily they, once they walk past the bowls, they will grab a pellet and munch on it. I am thinking it is easier for them to access the pellets.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
My pigs are similar! They love their pellets but everytime I put pellets in a food bowl, it becomes their life's mission to tip the bowl over and peck at the ground like chickens. I think I will be switching to a small plate soon instead of a bowl.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
My piggies spread everything into a mess if I gave them a plate, so I just got Beco Bowls, which I'm going to try once their KMS pellets arrive Friday. They kind of have a more rounded design so it's a little easier to access, and if you get them on the Guinea Pig Market you can even get ones that are almost flat but still have a little lip to minimize mess. Right now I have a living world bowl, but it is hard to clean because it's got a weird design and so with the new pellets we'll change it up and see how it goes.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I think they can't dig them out from the sides of the bowl. It's not like they can use their hands if they can't grasp them with their teeth. I never thought about it but it may be a little like bobbing for apples.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
We had luck with (broken link removed) cat food bowl. It's pretty shallow and they can't tip it over. And there are no sharp corners inside for pellets to get stuck in. We just took off the rubber rim around the bottom because one of my pigs liked to chew pieces of it off.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I will have to try that @mamaduck71! My pigs always dump their food dish and eat it off the ground! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.