Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Where to purchase Piggy potty pads

LydiaM

Cavy Slave
Getting fed up with using paper bedding in the piggies litter box. I think that the Potty pads will be cheaper in the long run. Can any anyone tell me where I should buy them from? I got my C and C cage from guineapigcages and I am using the kitchen area they offer for sale. I just don't want to purchase the potty pads and realize they aren't a good fit.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Have you tried wood pellets in their litter box? They seem to hold up better and are cheaper then paper bedding. We got ours at Tractor Supply, it's the Equine Bedding pellets.

Nilda

Cavy Slave
I've bought my potty pads on etsy. Lots of sellers to choose from.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
@AnnikasMommy, are the equine bedding pellets that you use from TSC the store brand one...large greenish colored bag? That's the only one that my TSC offers. I purchased a bag a couple of weeks ago but it had such a strong, odd smell to it.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
@3littlepigz They are the equine store brand. I gave them the sniff test before I purchased them and bought three bags. Maybe like with pine shavings some are stronger then others? I also take them out of the plastic and put them in a hamper, maybe this releases some of the odors?

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Thank you! How long do you let them "air out"? a couple of hours? A day? I just purchased wood burning stove pellets that I found out of sheer luck and was wondering if the wood burning stove pellets and the animal bedding pellets are different at all when it comes to absorbing the urine. Was wondering if there really is no difference in the level of absorption or if the animal bedding ones tend to absorb better. Might you know? Or anyone else?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! How long do you let them "air out"? a couple of hours? A day? I just purchased wood burning stove pellets that I found out of sheer luck and was wondering if the wood burning stove pellets and the animal bedding pellets are different at all when it comes to absorbing the urine. Was wondering if there really is no difference in the level of absorption or if the animal bedding ones tend to absorb better. Might you know? Or anyone else?

I use the same brand as AnnikasMommy, I've notice some bags hardly have the smell and others have a very strong smell. What I do, when I am about to replace my pellets I usually cut open the bag for about a week to air out.

I've never experience a difference between wood pellets for stoves vs horse stall bedding. I'd like to think they are the same but branded differently.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
I use the same brand as AnnikasMommy, I've notice some bags hardly have the smell and others have a very strong smell. What I do, when I am about to replace my pellets I usually cut open the bag for about a week to air out.

I've never experience a difference between wood pellets for stoves vs horse stall bedding. I'd like to think they are the same but branded differently.

Thanks CavieGuy! Are these the ones you use? (broken link removed) ?

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Thanks CavieGuy! Are these the ones you use? (broken link removed) ?

Yes those are the ones. I don't use the whole bag at a time, I use a 32oz cup and just fill their potty area with a layer of the pellets. When I use what is in the hamper I dump a new bag into it and probably about 2-3 days later I start using it. Being in FL we don't have fuel pellets from what I have seen when looking around so I just bought these.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave

@CavieGuy do you put the whole bag into the bottom of your cage and then cover with fleece? I've been trying to get an idea of how people do their pellets as I'm still learning the ins and outs of this.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Oh YAY!!! Great to know! I guess I just got an "off" bag. Since the stove pellets are a seasonal thing, I was concerned about losing my supply but TSC always carry that equine bedding so I'll always have a supply! The equine one doesn't say "kiln dried". I never tried to check with the manufacturer - employees at the store had NO clue. I don't need to worry about that with the TSC equine pellets?

I cover my entire cage with the pellets and then fleece so I was about to go back to TSC to load up on as many stove pellets as possible to make sure I don't run out but now, no need! Whew!

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
@CavieGuy do you put the whole bag into the bottom of your cage and then cover with fleece? I've been trying to get an idea of how people do their pellets as I'm still learning the ins and outs of this.

Depending on the size of your cage, I use 2 40 lb bags for my cage and then I cover with the fleece.

Oh YAY!!! Great to know! I guess I just got an "off" bag. Since the stove pellets are a seasonal thing, I was concerned about losing my supply but TSC always carry that equine bedding so I'll always have a supply! The equine one doesn't say "kiln dried". I never tried to check with the manufacturer - employees at the store had NO clue. I don't need to worry about that with the TSC equine pellets?

I cover my entire cage with the pellets and then fleece so I was about to go back to TSC to load up on as many stove pellets as possible to make sure I don't run out but now, no need! Whew!

Those are the ones, I asked my local TSC (1 hour away) and got it confirmed by the GM.

Here is an old video I made cleaning my cage after 8 weeks of the same wood pellets. You still want to change your fleece once a week and reshuffle the wood pellets after they are wet.

[video]https://youtu.be/kgRcu9QkR2s[/video]

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Thanks for sharing that! I'm wondering if I'm not adding enough pellets. I used one 40 lb bag for a 2x5 with a 1x2 kitchen off the side...so technically it's a 2x6 C&C. I know that using pellets is louder than using something else. They walk or scurry and I can hear the pellets moving around on the coroplast. Maybe the pellets are packed enough because I only put one bag in there? At the beginning of your video your piggies were walking around and there was no "noise" underfoot. Guessing it's because it was more saw dust than pellets, right?? When you put in your new pellets, is it pretty loud and is there a lot of movement of the pellets?

Should I add more than just one bag?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for sharing that! I'm wondering if I'm not adding enough pellets. I used one 40 lb bag for a 2x5 with a 1x2 kitchen off the side...so technically it's a 2x6 C&C. I know that using pellets is louder than using something else. They walk or scurry and I can hear the pellets moving around on the coroplast. Maybe the pellets are packed enough because I only put one bag in there? At the beginning of your video your piggies were walking around and there was no "noise" underfoot. Guessing it's because it was more saw dust than pellets, right?? When you put in your new pellets, is it pretty loud and is there a lot of movement of the pellets?

Should I add more than just one bag?

Usually the first couple of days you can hear the girls walking in the cage, but I think after the wood pellets settle the noise lessens. You can try 1 1/2 bag see if that helps. I know someone suggested for a 2x4 CC 1 bag is good, but a 2x6 should be 2 bags. My cage is now 2x7 1/2 with 2 bags.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Are there any any good pellet alternatives to the TSC brand? The closest Tractor Supply store is over 2 hours away from us (the joys of living in a small town..), and our car doesn't exactly get the best mileage.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Are there any any good pellet alternatives to the TSC brand? The closest Tractor Supply store is over 2 hours away from us (the joys of living in a small town..), and our car doesn't exactly get the best mileage.

If you have a local Feed Store ask if they have horse stall wood pellets and ask for the brand, if it is hardwood or softwood, kiln dried, etc...

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Wow, as it turns out, one of the feed stores in our area sells Tractor Supply pellets. And for only $5 for a 40lb bag! I feel silly for not even considering calling around first.. I just assumed that the pellets were a brand-name sold by that store only.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.