Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior I don?t think my guinea pigs like me anymore

Cakegirl554

Cavy Slave
So yesterday for the first time I took my guinea pigs out for floor time. Also needed ideas for floor time thx. So I took them out they just hid the whole time. I had everything there. So when I put them back in the cage hey both seemed fine. But today when I went to feed them they barely came up to me. Did I loose their trust plz help

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Don't forget - guinea pigs are prey animals and get scared very easily. You probably didn't lose their trust at all. Sometimes when I feed my boars, especially at times they are not used to, they aren't that excitable. When I wake them up from a nap they are also a little slower when coming to get their food. Just be patient and they'll eventually warm up to you : ).

I actually don't do floor time that often, just 1 or 2 times a week, so I don't have much advice for that! I just let them walk around the kitchen and explore! Make sure there are some places for them to hide.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Unless you start with floor time when your cavies are young, they may never really like it. My boys tend to just freeze in place or find the nearest warm, dark place to hide and stay there. They will literally freeze in place when I put them out on the floor. One of the benefits of having a large cage is that your piggies can exercise and play on their own schedule rather than when it is convenient for you to have floor time.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I've always provided plenty of places to hide during floortime and scattered vegetables around the area so that the pigs get a chance to forage. Gives them a reason to look forward to coming out, too. :) But it's true that many pigs may not ever especially like floortime. Of the four pigs I've owned, only the two I raised from pups every really got excited about it. The two young boys who I fostered for a short while kind of got into it, too. Like @spy9doc said, I think it works best to start them when they're young.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Are your piggies still hiding during floor time? Has anything changed in the room? When we installed new window blinds Lacey totally freaked the first few times I closed them. The same thing happened when we started using the ceiling fan. This happened when she was in her playpen which is up off the floor. Now she decided she doesn’t want to be taken out of her cage so she sits in the corner and tries to bite when I reach for her. Once I pick her up she is okay, and she doesn’t try to bite when picked up in her playpen. Who knows how their little minds work.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are your piggies still hiding during floor time? Has anything changed in the room? When we installed new window blinds Lacey totally freaked the first few times I closed them. The same thing happened when we started using the ceiling fan. This happened when she was in her playpen which is up off the floor. Now she decided she doesn?t want to be taken out of her cage so she sits in the corner and tries to bite when I reach for her. Once I pick her up she is okay, and she doesn?t try to bite when picked up in her playpen. Who knows how their little minds work.

I'd almost guarantee you that the ceiling fan reminds her of a circling hawk or eagle.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That’s what I thought too. Something large circling above the room. It’s amazing how fast they adapt, though. Once she saw it a couple times it was no big deal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.