Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Alternatives to Drippy Bottles?

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
We've tried different bottles. I've researched reviews of bottles available on Amazon. We can't find a drip bottle that doesn't tend to leak. Our last bottle flooded the little cage our newly adopted piggies were in (before I built them a new cage) and we woke up to our poor babies in a swamp of their own filth. I was so mad! I have an idea to put a funnel through the floor under the water bottles to drip into a bucket or bowl under the cage, but I'd like to know if there is some alternatives to leaky bottles.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Which water bottles have you tried? I have a Kaytee glass one with small a plastic/gel ring inside. I noticed if it isn’t setting properly it will drip. Also, anytime after I put the water bottle back I tap little ball multiple times. Before I did this it would leak a lot but now it’s pretty rare. I put two fleece pads underneath the water bottles so if it does leak it doesn’t soak the cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, make sure the washer in the lid is properly seated.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The alternative to a leaky bottle is to find one that doesn't leak! Let me explain. I too have tried all types/brands of water bottles and it didn't matter how much I paid for it, whether it was plastic or glass, or how highly one of our Forum members recommended it. I still encountered leaky bottles.

You know what I use? A plain old generic plastic bottle from Petco. Most pet stores (especially if they sell fish) will have a sink nearby. With an employee's permission (and oftentimes their help), I try out any prospective new bottles BEFORE I buy them. I fill the bottles right there at the sink and if they dribble at all, no purchase. If they are satisfactory, then I buy them, often two at a time so that I have a backup.

If the store is reluctant to permit you to use the sink, then take a large bottle of water with you when you go to shop for bottles. The instant that you exit the store with your purchase, fill the bottle with water and test it out right then and there. If it leaks, walk right back into the store and exchange it. I once did this right outside the front door in full view of the store personnel.......and entering customers. I think everyone got my point. There is nothing that I hate more than having to drive all the way back to the pet store for a leaky $15 water bottle.

To add to @wheekermommy's comments, be very sure that the ring/seal inside is seated well and tap the ball to start the flow. I sometimes simultaneously tap the ball plus lightly squeeze the bottle. Works for me.

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
As long as it's a water bottle we have to use, I'm installing the funnel though the floor. I will not risk my piggies ever suffering that again. The bottle in question worked for several days and then just stopped working one night. I just wish there was something better.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
As long as it's a water bottle we have to use, I'm installing the funnel though the floor. I will not risk my piggies ever suffering that again. The bottle in question worked for several days and then just stopped working one night. I just wish there was something better.

Why do you seem unwilling to consider the suggestions that several of us have given you? :( I suspect that installing a funnel through the floor is going to cause more problems that it solves.

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
Why do you seem unwilling to consider the suggestions that several of us have given you? :( I suspect that installing a funnel through the floor is going to cause more problems that it solves.

Which suggestion do you think I am unwilling to consider? The suggestions have been to check the gasket and tap the ball (I have in every single bottle), to find a water bottle that doesn't drip (I have spent over $80 on water bottles and all of them have dripped to some extent), use the Kaytee bottle (you mean the brand of water bottles with the worst reviews on Amazon? I think I'll pass), and try a generic bottle from Petco (tried those as well as ones from Tractor Supply). Every single suggestion is to use a water bottle. I'm not sure what you think I'm unwilling to try.

ETA: I've also tried both sippy style and ball style bottles. Both drip.

Last edited:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The only alternative to a water bottle would be a water bowl. Be warned that they get dirty very fast, you will have to change it multiple times a day and you need a large heavy bowl, otherwise they will tip it and you will have water everywhere again.

Not really sure what is going on with your water bottles. I have had guinea pigs for years and have had many different water bottles and have never had these ongoing leaking issues. Every now and then one will drip a little, but not enough to really make anything wet. I have a little fleece water bottle pads under them, just in case. My favorite bottles I have are the cheap plastic lixit ones. They seems to work really well and I rarely have an issue. With any of the plastic bottles, give them a little squeeze while screwing the lid on to create a bit of a vacuum to hopefully prevent leaking.

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
Most of them don't leak enough to flood the cage, but that one suffered a catastrophic failure. I just don't feel like I can trust water bottles in general without some sort of backup plan in place in case another fails.

My idea is to cut straw-hole style slits in the coroplast floor and put a flask funnel through it. The flask funnels I want are small and are taller than they are wide, which would aid in keeping bedding out of the funnel (of course, we would check and clean it regularly). Placed directly under the bottle, all drips and any water from failure would fall through the funnel to a container under the cage. This would keep the bedding dry even in the same sort of failure we experienced previously.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Why not just put fleece pads underneath? Way less work than your very creative funnel system. I double with one small one on top of a large one. One time I didn't properly put the lid on and the whole bottle leaked out on the potty pads. None of the other fleece was wet. Even if you have wood or paper shavings for the rest of the bedding, I think you could still use the fleece pads just for under the water bottles.

Another thought, how tight are you securing the bottle to the cage?

spy9doc solution of going to the store to test them out is a great one!

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
I may do the pads. With the new cage, we have a separate tray for their dining area and if it did flood, they still have dry sections of cage, so they wouldn't be forced so wade in it.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How about this idea?
a7f7fdfc52985a43d1f6b489ce5eb6fd.jpg

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I put fleece pads under my water bottles and I think it works well! I change out the pads every night if they're wet.

HollyG

Cavy Slave
What about putting something like a washcloth under the bottle and replacing it when it is too wet?
I have found some water bottles to be drippy as well. One solution I found that works well is using 2 of the metal clip things to keep the bottle at a certain angle where it won?t drip and is more secure against the cage.
Hope this helps!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I use the "Choco Nose No-Drip Small Animal Water Bottle" from Chewy.com at $7.99 and have only experienced a few instances of several drops dripping. Because I stay at my dad's place to help him most of the week, my piggies have two cages and I have 4 of these bottles. I put a brick underneath it to absorb in case of any water leakage, but really have no issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.