Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Artista's Bella Rose Medical Thread

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Seems I need to start one for my 11.5 mo girl. ��

3 days ago I saw BR doing a contortion like movement with dragging herself on her belly or a leg dragging. It lasts a couple or so minutes before she becomes completely fine again. It's happened twice on tues, twice yesterday then once so far today. I don't see any small bugs so now I worry that she has some kind of neurological issue. But then I think it would be an issue all the time. So I'm trying to think. I've used a teflon based brand new rice cooker with the stove fan on and kitchen window open a few times. With Mooshy I cooked in an old teflon pan with 0 issues. Other than this, eating and behaviour is unchanged. While she gets stuck in these odd poses/movements, she responds with wheeks when I say her fav veggie lettuce.

Not sure what to do. I don't know what gp seizures look like but she is quiet and not bouncing around. More like slow writhing movements, dragging on belly and contortion like stuff. I don't think the vet can do anything esp because you never know when it will hit. I'm hime 24/7 next to her cage at eye level so I always see what's going on.

Any concerns here? Let her do her thing? Reminds me of the gp cutie at cavy house rescue in a way.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It does sound neurological, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would happen all the time. Not to say that this is her problem, but think about TIA's in people. They can be precursors of a stroke, but they also can come and go for months, and a stroke may never happen.

The only non-neurological explanation I can think of would be an inner ear problem -- vestibular disease, or possibly an inner ear infection.

Artista

Cavy Slave
If you were me on limited low income, what would you do? Just watch her? Thanks

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It would be helpful if you could catch this on video at some point.

It's hard to say what I would do. It sounds like there really isn't much of an outward issue that would be easily diagnosable from a vet visit. It may be useful to have her ears checked for any sign of infection, but personally, it doesn't sound like much of an ear issue to me.

It also doesn't sound like a seizure. I witnessed my old girl having a seizure and it was quite graphic. She was flipped on her side, having jerky movements, with her mouth open at a weird angle. It lasted less than a minute and she was very unresponsive to any touch or sound.

Watching and waiting may be the best course of action. If the episodes become more frequent or longer in duration, then I would think it's best to have her checked out.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yeah I'll try and record it. I thought the same regarding the vet, unless I can get a good recording, how can she tell. Hopefully I'll get a good recording then take her in. She'll be a year around Aug 20. It's going to be hard sleeping now since she doesn't make any noise. I sleep next to her pen too.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Getting a video is a great idea.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Watching and waiting may be the best course of action. If the episodes become more frequent or longer in duration, then I would think it's best to have her checked out.

Totally agree! The problem with trying to diagnose a neurologic issue such as a seizure is that the Vet needs to see it in action. Of course, that's next to impossible unless they happen at predictable times and even then it would be difficult. The next best thing would be to get a video of it......perhaps more than one.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Totally agree! The problem with trying to diagnose a neurologic issue such as a seizure is that the Vet needs to see it in action. Of course, that's next to impossible unless they happen at predictable times and even then it would be difficult. The next best thing would be to get a video of it......perhaps more than one.

She's doing her morning zoomies right now. If I capture it, I'll post to my fb page which is public (it's 90% my gps) and post the link here.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Assuming it's seizures, I assume there's nothing that can be done. I don't know if she'd rather me comfort her with my voice and petting her head or leave her alone.

So �� to see. She's not even 1 y/o. ☹

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I dunno....children sometimes grow out of seizures. I don't know about cavies?

Artista

Cavy Slave
I was on the phone with my dad for an hour. Hung up and saw mild version of what I'm seeing. Seems to be only in the eves, 1 to 3 times a night.

Go to facebook and type in ess enn. It's public. Mild version tonight captured. Imagine falling to a side, dragging bum and feet or foot, twisting more..I hope to get a good shot, not that I hope it continues. Just doesn't seem to want to end. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I still think it's either neurological or inner ear, probably neurological.

I don't know whether an inner ear infection could cause something like that or not. I know it's difficult for you to get to the vet. Is it possible that the vet would look at the video for you and tell you whether you need to bring her in?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, the poor little lady. When Sly had his inner ear infection a couple months ago, he exhibited symptoms very, very much like this. The only difference is his symptoms were constant, and it took hold of him in a very short span of time. As in, at 3pm he seemed fine, just maybe a little slow. At 5pm I was calling the vet in a panic.

This just comes and goes for her? And around the same times each day? I agree it may be neurological. I also wonder if there may not be something producing a sound that only she can hear, and is highly disorienting being emitted around the same time each day. Just a thought, I'm almost guaranteed wrong.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Go to facebook and type in ess enn.

I watched your video two or three times and I don't think you can rule out a stroke or TIA's just yet. At least in this video, she constantly turns to her right when she moves about the area which makes me even more suspicious of a neurologic problem. But, then an issue affecting only one ear could cause the same behaviors. If she were mine, I would want to get her promptly and properly diagnosed and treated.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I watched your video two or three times and I don't think you can rule out a stroke or TIA's just yet. At least in this video, she constantly turns to her right when she moves about the area which makes me even more suspicious of a neurologic problem. But, then an issue affecting only one ear could cause the same behaviors. If she were mine, I would want to get her promptly and properly diagnosed and treated.

Her vet is booked to the17th. I can send the video for her to see. If she needs to go in before the 17th it's an emergency charge.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Oh, the poor little lady. When Sly had his inner ear infection a couple months ago, he exhibited symptoms very, very much like this. The only difference is his symptoms were constant, and it took hold of him in a very short span of time. As in, at 3pm he seemed fine, just maybe a little slow. At 5pm I was calling the vet in a panic.

This just comes and goes for her? And around the same times each day? I agree it may be neurological. I also wonder if there may not be something producing a sound that only she can hear, and is highly disorienting being emitted around the same time each day. Just a thought, I'm almost guaranteed wrong.
I can't say for sure if it's only in the pms. I take naps and then there's in middle of the night.

Also she has fallen to her left that I didn't capture with her leg like frozen in the air.

Hopefully she gets time to see it today. It'll go to tues since she's off sun an mon.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Forgot to say too that she's done the army belly crawl before too.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I really, really hope it's something that is easily cured, or at least very treatable. She doesn't deserve this, and neither do you.

Sending you both all our positive thoughts and energy.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I really, really hope it's something that is easily cured, or at least very treatable. She doesn't deserve this, and neither do you.

Sending you both all our positive thoughts and energy.

Me too. I hope there's no pain during this. I have no clue how seizures feel like if it's this. Does her head ache? :(

Artista

Cavy Slave
I called her vet who only works till noon on sats and is off on sun and mons. Gave her all the details on her. Didn't think she'd have time to get back

Re: Bella Rose, seizure? Tia? Ear infection?

Wildwood Veterinary Hospital

ToShonta

Jul 7 at 1:00 PM

Hi Shonta,

Poor little Bella Rose! From the video and the intermittent nature of the clinical signs, I would be more inclined to think seizure than tia or inner ear infections. I would definitely bring her in for an exam though. It is still possible that she could have one of the other problems.

It looks like we don't actually have any open appointment slots this week, but that we could try to get her in at 3 on Tuesday 7/10 or at 11 am on Wednesday 7/11. Please call the hospital on Monday to let us know if either of these times will work for you.

If you are able to get more videos to bring to the appointment, that could be helpful. I agree that she is unlikely to have any episodes during the exam. Hopefully you have a hard time getting more videos though due to lack of episodes at home as well!

Have a good weekend,

Diana Welsh, DVM

So I'll choose wed at 11. Actually with the nightmare traffic here, it's a decent time. 45 min drive in slow moving traffic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.