Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

We have babies!!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
BTW, they are very cute. Is it possible to just take pieces of cardboard and put it between the grid and coroplast to baby proof the cage?

Leah00

Cavy Slave
Yeah. It's not even the age thing because if I trusted the parents to be responsible and I knew that they piggy was just going to be his pet in name only, I really wouldn't mind.
The thing is... That family is crazy. I won't even go into detail but they are a mess. They have several pets and none of them are well taken care of. They get reported to animal control frequently for not taking care of the many dogs, cats, and horses that they own.
And my MIL actually thought I'd say yes?????

I know that I won't be able to control how they are taken care of once they leave me but there's no way in hell that I'm going to knowingly give them to a bad home.

piggiejinx

Cavy Slave
They are super cute! :) Congrats!

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Babies are adorable :) I turned down a few very close friends as well. They are great people and great parents. Just didn't think they had time to care for the pigs. Most people don't realize how much time is needed to properly care for these guys.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm already feeling so stress about this and they are not even a day old. I got excited and put pictures on facebook and showed them off today at work and now I'm being bombarded with "I want one!". I'm thinking some people will cool off and change their minds but I still have more people interested than babies.

Of course I still really just want to keep them. :(

But here are some NEW pictures!!

This one is my favorite! From a quick little glance I'm thinking it's a boy (which sucks). He seems to be the little runt and was the first one I saw sitting in the food dish.
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg
photo 5.jpg

So with the quick little glance I did this morning... It looks like the first two are boys (My favorite and the black and white one) and the last one (brown and white with big black spot) is a girl. That's just a guestimate though. I'll check again in a few days.

melynda

Cavy Slave
All three are tortoiseshell and white short hairs (And one of which is crested). A self is a solid coloured pig.

TSWs are black, red, and white. Those little guys are yellow.
Adorable, but not TSWs.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yeah. It's not even the age thing because if I trusted the parents to be responsible and I knew that they piggy was just going to be his pet in name only, I really wouldn't mind.
The thing is... That family is crazy. I won't even go into detail but they are a mess. They have several pets and none of them are well taken care of. They get reported to animal control frequently for not taking care of the many dogs, cats, and horses that they own.
And my MIL actually thought I'd say yes?????

I know that I won't be able to control how they are taken care of once they leave me but there's no way in hell that I'm going to knowingly give them to a bad home.

I have a neighbor like that they have 9 cats running around. They had 4 dogs now they got another which makes 5. They have the screened in porch and that where the dogs live. They barely get taken for walks its nasty. And they do all their business on that porch. And if one of the dogs gets loose it goes a wall because it can't release it's energy. But their small dogs get taken for walks but not very often. They also had a pony that died poor thing went blind and her hoofs needed trimming bad. But their daughter was like I'm not getting rid of her I'm gonna have her till the day she dies sad thing is she's in her 20's. We've tried reporting them but my grandmother doesn't want to make waves. Even though my dad went behind her back a couple times but animal control did absolutely nothing because mainly they would never answer the door.

Edit: the one dog Bella is a pit normally that wouldn't bother me but one day she got out and practically attached my grandmother. And she yelled for the husband Bob but he was to drunk to hear. Oh yes Bob is a drinker we've seen him drink at 5 in the morning. Him and Rhonda are married but only on paper. He drinks his money away and she spends it on junk, furniture, and clothes. Sorry I'm rambling now.

Last edited:

Leah00

Cavy Slave
Baby proofing and reintroducing

So last night I freaked out and moved Daisy and her babies into a smaller extra cage that I had on hand (luckily).
I'm very shamed to admit that I did not take the babyproofing seriously. I thought that the coroplast was high enough that the babies wouldn't be able to reach the grids. I thought I could wait until they were born and then babyproof it if I thought it needed it. I did not expect the babies to be as athletic as they are.... Excuses, excuses.

Anyway, I had a horrible terrifying moment last night. Babyproofing is no joke and I have completely learned my lesson. Luckily no one was hurt but it could have been much worse.

So since last night, mom and babies have been in a different cage and Lulu is still in the C & C.

I was thinking that I could put cardboard up between the grids and coroplast today and move the family back in. Would that cause problems? They've only been out for a day. I'm worried about Lulu hurting the babies. Last night when all the craziness was going on, Lulu was running around and right over the little ones. Daisy has been keeping the babies in a plastic hut and Lulu kept running in there with them and it didn't seem safe.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Re: Baby proofing and reintroducing

I have Tinkerbell (who is now 2 months old and a crazy woman :) ) in with Periwinkle and her babies. Tinkerbell has been great with them. She is actually enjoying them from what I can see. She seems to be very happy pop corning with them and racing around the cage.

Pico911

Cavy Slave
thanks I get my breeds mixed up

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
LOL..they are so funny looking with the way you held them up. Huge heads and tiny bodies.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! They are sooo adorable! Makes me want some baby piggies!

huhney

Cavy Slave
Cute little piggies :) I'm also having a hard time sexing my babies as well it's so hard at this age

melynda

Cavy Slave
Yeah, at that age until you see a dingy-dingy it's really hard to know for certain.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
I tried to take pictures of their "downstairs" but they kick their little back legs every single time the camera focuses.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
TSWs are black, red, and white. Those little guys are yellow.
Adorable, but not TSWs.

Nope, they are certainly TSW's. The black and white genes can be modified by a recessive dilute gene which can soften colours, often turning orange to cream. But they are still TSW's.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Interesting. I was told my boy wasn't a tortoiseshell because he is more cream than red.
That's why I said that.
Is the same true for them as TSWs?
Learn something new every day!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Interesting. I was told my boy wasn't a tortoiseshell because he is more cream than red.
That's why I said that.
Is the same true for them as TSWs?
Learn something new every day!
He very well could be, as I have a tortoiseshell (She doesn't have a recessive gene though, she has the classic tortoiseshell colours) I did a lot of research into the breed.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Well thank you for correcting me. :) I'm off to do some reading myself!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.