Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Adding a neutered male?

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Hello everybody. I have had Anna and Elsa for two years now. That is their age, since I adopted them at 2 months old each approx. Now the rescue I volunteer at asked me if I would take a neutered male that has been surrendered alone and is in desperate need of a home. I would love to adopt him, but I don't want to risk the already bonded pair. Do neutered males do well with females? Is this a good mix? I would introduce them slowly, go through the whole process anyway, to be on the safe side. Looking for advice here, what would you do?
Thanks!!!

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add that the size of their cage is 2,30 cms x 64 cms. He would join them their. During the day they have an outdoor hutch of 1,20 cms x 1,20 cms. Would that be enouph for 3?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A neutered male with two females would be fine. Definitely follow the guidelines for introductions, but there's obviously no way to know for sure what will happen until you try it. One neutered male with two females will work fine, but NOT two males with one female. That's a recipe for war.

How long has it been since his neutering?

And just as an afterthought, thank you for being willing to give this little man a loving home.

You may also want to enlarge their cage by one grid or so. 230 wide would be ok, but expanding the 64cm side would work well.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your quick reply. How about making it square? It would then be 1,20 sq m. I can do that. Do you think it'd be ok? Plus they spend the day outside (weather permitting). I asked the rescue and he was neutered 4 months ago. Is that enough? I am more than willing to help him, but I am a little nervous for my girls... don't want to break the harmony between them.
Thank you!!!
Mary.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The recommended time to keep a neutered boar separate from females is one month, to allow for healing and any residual sperm to die off. You're well past that.

There will always be a little tension when you want to introduce a new friend to an existing pair, or herd. I obviously have no idea if everything will be all right, but I see no reason for it not to be.

The more space you can give them, the better. Pigs LOVE to have room to run around in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Something seems off to me about those measurements, but I may not be understanding the system.

Is 2,34 centimeters two hundred thirty four centimeters?

A cage 1.2 meters on each side is plenty big enough for three pigs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@bpatters Yes, 234 centimetres is roughly 7.5 feet. So she seems to have roughly a 2 x 7 cage.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Yes, it is 120 x 120 cms on each side.
Thank you!!!
I have already told the rescue I am adopting him! He'll be home next Friday. My females are Anna and Elsa, I'm in two minds as to call him Sven or Olaf, to go on with the Frozen theme.
Thank you!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it is 120 x 120 cms on each side.
Thank you!!!
I have already told the rescue I am adopting him! He'll be home next Friday. My females are Anna and Elsa, I'm in two minds as to call him Sven or Olaf, to go on with the Frozen theme.
Thank you!

Oh, I do love that. Sven or Olaf would be perfect.

Please let us know how things go. We love happy updates here :D

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Of course! I'll keep you posted!
Thank you!!!!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
a 2.3 metre by 0.64 is 1.47 square metres, the recommended size for three guinea pigs is 1.2 square metres. However even though your existing cage has a larger square meterage than the planned 1.2 by 1.2 metre cage it does help to have a wider/squarer space rather than a longer/rectangular one.

Just keep in mind you need to be able to reach all corners of the cage to clean, that is the main reason why most people tend to go for longer but narrower rectangle cages rather than big square cages.

Best of luck with your new addition, I'm sure you can't wait to bring him home.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
a 2.3 metre by 0.64 is 1.47 square metres, the recommended size for three guinea pigs is 1.2 square metres. However even though your existing cage has a larger square meterage than the planned 1.2 by 1.2 metre cage it does help to have a wider/squarer space rather than a longer/rectangular one.

Just keep in mind you need to be able to reach all corners of the cage to clean, that is the main reason why most people tend to go for longer but narrower rectangle cages rather than big square cages.

Best of luck with your new addition, I'm sure you can't wait to bring him home.

Yes! Than you. I made all the changes yesterday. The square cage is more difficult to clean, I noticed this morning, but they have more room for zoomies! Hope it works!

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters! I'll study it and follow the guidelines!
Hope it works out fine for the three of them
BTW, his name will be Kristoff...
Thank You!!!

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Well, I have read the whole document and watched some videos on youtube, to make sure I identify the behaviours described. I have a few doubts, though. The article described the intro between two pigs. Since mine will be three, 1-should I place all three of them together on neutral area or go one by one?
2-Let's say after an hour everything is going fine, I can then move them to the cage. I watch them there for another hour. If everything is ok, can I already leave them in their cage together at night? Or should I place the newcomer in a different cage near the ladies?
Thanks again!!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Introduce all three at the same time.

Do this when you have several hours to observe. This is not likely to be a one hour and done scenario. Remember that teeth chattering, mounting, chasing and crying are NOT a reason to separate. The only reason you should be separating is if one of them draws blood. Do be ready to intervene if this happens, and make sure your hands are protected if you have to.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The last time I introduced three pigs, it took 11 hours before I was comfortable leaving them and going to bed. I didn't put them in the cage until six hours had gone by. Don't do this when you're rushed for time!

Introduce them all at once, and don't remove one of them unless there's all-out war. Nipping doesn't count. And leave them together.

When you put them in the new cage, I'd leave all hideys out and just hang a few fleece forests so they're not always in each other's sight, but they can easily get away from each other if they need to. Be sure to have multiple piles of food, hay, pellet bowls, and water bottles in the new cage. You can always consolidate after they're getting along well.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Ok! That's what I thought! An hour sounded too short a time! Now, if I cannot be watching them 11 hours (which I assume might be long) maybe I can put him in a separate temporary cage until I can go on with the process? Or will that be going one step backwards?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ok! That's what I thought! An hour sounded too short a time! Now, if I cannot be watching them 11 hours (which I assume might be long) maybe I can put him in a separate temporary cage until I can go on with the process? Or will that be going one step backwards?

You'll be going backwards. Once you put them together, leave them together unless war breaks out.

SunnyPigs

Cavy Slave
Good luck with the introduction!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.