Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Veggies veggies veggies and fruit!!

stillme

Cavy Slave
Dandelion greens are not good daily. They are like kale, high in calcium. Red or green lettuce is the best. Romaine in some pigs causes calcium secretion/stones so I stay away from it just in case mine is one of them. Also where is the vitamin C? Most of us give green bell pepper to take care of this that they cannot produce on their own and need us to give them daily.

Fed romaine for 5 years, no problem. And It is one or the other (Romaine mainly), I go back and forth between dandelion and lettuce.
Orange is vitamin C last time I checked. Not sure how that didn't get across :/

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Orange is too acidic to be fed daily as well as too high in sugar.

Rayen

Cavy Slave
I feed daily:

Red/Green leaf lettuce (I buy one kind at a time, usually whichever looks the best at the grocery store)
Green/Yellow/Orange/Red bell pepper(mostly green/yellow)
Cucumber (1-2 1/4 inch slices, or 2-3 slices of the pickle-sized ones)

Then I give broccoli, or spinach, or kale 1-2 times a week. Cilantro 3-4 times a week if I have it (I usually do, but the grocery stores seem to be iffy around here). One (or half of one) grape tomato 3-4 times a week. Roughly half of a baby carrot 2-3 times a week. A small slice of apple, or a couple of blueberries, or a small piece of orange (or anything I happen to be eating at the time) 1-2 times a week.

stillme

Cavy Slave
Orange is too acidic to be fed daily as well as too high in sugar.

If you had read my original post, I feed once a week/fortnight (a quarter orange only). I am building the number of veggies I feed.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Vitamin c needs to be given every day. Thats why bell peppers are recommended due to low acid and low sugar.

5GPsandcounting

Cavy Slave
Yay lots of ideas and variety for my piggies now!!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Vitamin c needs to be given every day. Thats why bell peppers are recommended due to low acid and low sugar.

Yep, specifically green peppers as red are high in sugar.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Fed romaine for 5 years, no problem. And It is one or the other (Romaine mainly), I go back and forth between dandelion and lettuce.
Orange is vitamin C last time I checked. Not sure how that didn't get across :/

Lettuce should be daily. That and green peppers are considered the best things to give daily.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Their typical daily veggies: Romaine lettuce, green beans, red peppers
and then I sometimes offer : cucumber, carrot, corn/husks/silk, parsley, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce

Usually it's more like whatever looks good at the store and/or what's on sale and then I buy what i'd offer for the week. I feed my full grown piggy a cup a day, mostly lettuce and then my two new younger piggies get a cup worth to share.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Oh I forgot herbs! They enjoy dill and basil!

I haven't seen a piggie list that includes herbs. I did find this from another site "Many fresh herbs such as cilantro, chives, thyme, basil and parsley are high in Vitamin C"
I just haven't found whether these are all ok for piggies.

I grow lots of basil for my rabbits. I'm glad to hear basil is good for piggies too!

Don't have piggies yet, but was wondering if these herbs might serve as alternatives to green peppers. Peppers seem to be awfully expensive most of the year. I'll have to research more, but wondered if anyone had ready resources on these herbs.

Just checked the list on this forum (as opposed to happypigs or whatever that site was). This forum does have info on all these herbs except for the chives. Rabbits, I know, are not supposed to have anything in the onion family. Is that true for guinea pigs too?

Last edited:

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen a piggie list that includes herbs. I did find this from another site "Many fresh herbs such as cilantro, chives, thyme, basil and parsley are high in Vitamin C"
I just haven't found whether these are all ok for piggies.

Cilantro, parsley and basil are all on my shopping list and were rec'd by my rescue.

My girls had cilantro and parsley in their salad today and gobbled it up fast.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Just checked the list on this forum (as opposed to happypigs or whatever that site was). This forum does have info on all these herbs except for the chives. Rabbits, I know, are not supposed to have anything in the onion family. Is that true for guinea pigs too?

To my understanding chives are okay in moderation, and only the green tops.
I avoid them just to be safe though haha

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.