Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds What does all the squealing mean?

nioaka

Cavy Gazer
I go to pet me pigs and they squeal a *bunch*, aha. They squeal a lot in general, but I'm just wondering if it's usually a good thing or squealing a lot is a bad thing.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It means they're guinea pigs. If you mean a specific kind of squealing noise, you could upload a video. My guess is that they're begging for treats, though, since they especially do it when you go near them.

Some pigs are just naturally more talkative than others. None of their bad noises can really be described as squealing except for when they squeal in pain, which obviously isn't what's happening here. One of my pigs "narrates" everything that happens to her, and will wheek (beg-squealing) for literally any object I am holding, even if it's one of her sisters, or like, a pair of pants I'm putting on. She just loves to yell. Nothing wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
It means they're guinea pigs. If you mean a specific kind of squealing noise, you could upload a video. My guess is that they're begging for treats, though, since they especially do it when you go near them.

Some pigs are just naturally more talkative than others. None of their bad noises can really be described as squealing except for when they squeal in pain, which obviously isn't what's happening here. One of my pigs "narrates" everything that happens to her, and will wheek (beg-squealing) for literally any object I am holding, even if it's one of her sisters, or like, a pair of pants I'm putting on. She just loves to yell. Nothing wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes me feel better too. I have regularly rumblestrutting, squeaking, squealing piggies, even when nobody is near their cage, and they are a 1 yr old bonded pair we got recently.
@nioaka - one of my pigs squeals more than the other one when we go to pet them, but, as we only got them a month ago, they are still getting used to us so often get a bit scared. One is getting comfortable with morning scritches, the other is still a squealer and hider. I just keep going with both of them, hand-feeding, petting, talking to them throughout the day, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.