Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Who else is a grammar/proper English freak?

elfje

Cavy Slave
English isn't my first language and sometimes I struggle in posting messages.
I can't stand reading posts in text language since most abbreviations I just don't get.
Mis-spelling....well I am no where near perfect in that so who am I to blame anyone.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say I'm a proper English freak (Mine isn't the greatest) but it does annoy me a bit when people talk in text speak or don't put in an effort. One thing that annoys me even more though is when people will type up walls of text without any lines of space. (Makes it SO hard to read) Or when people set their text color to something horribly bright or the text size so small you have to lean forward to read it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
The same holds true with spoken language, too. I had a boss I liked and respected a lot who spoke professionally at work but when he'd talk to a friend or family member on the phone, his speech patterns would change to some sort of Ebonics. It was sort of funny because it sounded like a completely different language. The company I currently work for has strict written guidelines we use to make computer notes, as well. Professional language is very important in the work place.

IQ tests score for verbal and non verbal. People can be somewhat even in their scores or at both ends of the spectrum in either direction on each. That's probably the difference between someone who writes novels and a computer whiz.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I can understand both points of view in this thread honestly. As an English language and literature student (previously), I have to admit I find things like not bothering to differentiate between 'too' and 'to' annoying. I don't object at all if it's someone with dyslexia, or speaking English as a foreign language, because they're completely valid reasons to not be able to differentiate, and I'm sure there are plenty of other valid reasons such as perhaps having a mental disability. I only object when it's people who have had the opportunity to learn, and then continued to make the same errors.

However, I have a condition which causes cognitive dysfunction, so I will occasionally make the very same mistakes that annoy me when others do it. It's a progressive condition, so I'm only going to get worse and start doing it more. It's why I'm trying to make less snap judgements about people (and their spelling/grammar!)

To speak in chat/text speak on a forum that specifically requests you don't, and to have truly poor posting etiquette (no breaks, full stops or commas etc) when you know there are people who may have dyslexia, or not have English as their first language and would have trouble reading your posts, is just inconsiderate in my opinion. But only if they're capable of typing coherently and then choose not to.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
To speak in chat/text speak on a forum that specifically requests you don't, and to have truly poor posting etiquette (no breaks, full stops or commas etc) when you know there are people who may have dyslexia, or not have English as their first language and would have trouble reading your posts, is just inconsiderate in my opinion. But only if they're capable of typing coherently and then choose not to.

I agree wholeheartedly, Princess_Piggy. :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I would be one of those people who messes up, often. But, it's often because of this silly iPad! Sometimes I even type the right letters but it doesn't even catch it! But it seems to know how to enforce spell check without me telling it to!

This is one of the few frustrations of typing on a touchscreen or iPad. :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Oh well, I guess! ;)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist and @Guineapigpro, I was texting earlier and my phone auto corrected 'hug' to 'juvenile'. I was trying to text my mum a hug, and it came out like I was insulting her!

So, I think we all know that if we see a word that has no business being in a particular sentence any way you spin it, auto correct has struck again! lol

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I just don't see the point of text-talk these days; it was innovated at a time when cellphones didn't have full keyboards, but almost every phone now has a full qwerty keyboard, so there's really no reason for all the abbreviations anymore.

Last edited:

Artista

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say I'm a proper English freak (Mine isn't the greatest) but it does annoy me a bit when people talk in text speak or don't put in an effort. One thing that annoys me even more though is when people will type up walls of text without any lines of space. (Makes it SO hard to read) Or when people set their text color to something horribly bright or the text size so small you have to lean forward to read it.

If something is that tough to read, I skip it. No effort usually means you aren't missing anything..

claudinehere

Cavy Slave
Oh, I hate it when people won't use proper spelling and grammar, be it in writing or in speech. I mean, my English is not perfect since it's not my first language but I really try to use proper spelling and grammar all the time. I also don't see the need for chat speak since a lot of people can now type well, gone are the days of text messaging when you had to shorten all your words to make it easier to type.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit particular about my own grammer (not anybody elses) and get really bothered when I post and then realise that I've made a spelling error. When I first joined the forum I actually had my spelling corrected by someone who was trying to insult me! And it was one of my first posts too. I don't really understand most of the text language so when my friends text me I never fully understand what they are saying. The only one that I know very well is lol. LOL!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Oops my LOL turned into a smiley face!

KCPiggies

Cavy Gazer
I've used correct grammar on the Internet since I was 11 or 12 years old. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.