Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty My guinea Pig got her period?

Excited

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs were sitting on this blue and white towel and then I noticed Honey was peeing. After she peed she walked away and I noticed that she had a pee stain on the white part of the towel with a little red dot in the middle? I am really worried. Is she on her period or is their something wrong with her?

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I don't think they bleed when in heat like dogs do. She needs to see a vet ASAP.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs do not bleed. I have 3 intact girls and none of them have ever bled, she needs to go to a vet.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It is likely a UTI or other bladder issue. They do not bleed like dogs or people during menstration. She needs to see a vet.

Excited

Cavy Slave
I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Is she alright to stay with my other pig? Is this a very serious thing? She seems fine, she is still a very happy pig!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It could be quite serious, yes. Vet is the best thing right now. She can stay with your other pig.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
I hope she will be alright. :)

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I hope Honey is okay. :love: Please keep us updated on what the vet says.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Bleeding is definitely not normal. Could be a UTI, as everyone else has mentioned. Other than taking her to a vet, you should also try to cut down on high-calcium foods. Romaine lettuce and alfalfa hay/pellets are commonly fed to adult guinea pigs, but all the calcium can lead to stones.
They do not bleed like dogs or people during menstration.
I did not know dogs did that. Learn something new every day, I guess!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Other than taking her to a vet, you should also try to cut down on high-calcium foods. Romaine lettuce and alfalfa hay/pellets are commonly fed to adult guinea pigs, but all the calcium can lead to stones.
Romaine is not higher in calcium than other lettuces. Some folks report having sludge issues when feeding it, but there's no known reason for that. Also, it's not likely that the calcium in hay or veggies cause stones, although they may contribute to them if a pig is prone to them in the first place. If it's really a concern, the best first step would be to avoid pellets with calcium carbonate or limestone in them.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs were sitting on this blue and white towel and then I noticed Honey was peeing. After she peed she walked away and I noticed that she had a pee stain on the white part of the towel with a little red dot in the middle? I am really worried. Is she on her period or is their something wrong with her?

Vet like next week.
They should probably do an Xray to exclude stones, urine culture to see the bacteria, can be a UTI (urinary tract infection). Is there anything else you have noticed? Like higher water intake, squeaking a little when peeing, less active, act weird etc? Note them down and have them when you go to the vet - make sure it is an exotic pet vet..

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Hoping for an update on this poor piggy.

Excited

Cavy Slave
Sorry for me being so late on an update guys!

So a day or two after I posted this I took her to the vet they took a urine sample from the tabe and saw no blood in it. They thought I was a little crazy but I asked them to send it into the lab. And after a lot of phone calls and waiting I was really mad that it was taking so long for them to tell me the results. So they next day I wake up and go spot clean her cage and her little bed from PetSmart is covered in bloood! I take her and the bed to the vet and demand that the vet come out here (yeah I know i'm crazy but I called a million times and the vet never called me back over the course of a week and a half) I finally got the vet to tell me that they didn't know what was really wrong with her but the best thing to do would be to give her some pills that I already had (they were the right kind). She recommended I go for an x ray but to have her on the pills for 10 days to see if she gets better.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
What's the medication called?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
My pig started randomly spotting blood and after weeks of medications and tests (with no conclusive results) I opted for an exploratory spay. We had a good feeling that the blood was coming from her uterus. Turned out she had ovarian cysts.

Hopefully it's nothing serious with your girl, and that the medications help. You should probably be giving her a probiotic with her antibiotic so her tummy doesn't get too upset. Hopefully we get an update soon.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Medications aren't usually given to guinea pigs in pill form. What is the name of the medication you are giving?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.