Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues C&C Cage Demonstration

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
Hey, all! I have a question (I apologize if it's not in the right part of the forum).

For almost the past year, I've been interested in owning my own guinea pigs. I still live at home and so need my parents' approval before getting piggies. However, my mom has been rather hesitant to let me get a pair because she's concerned about the odor. Over twenty years ago, my family briefly owned guinea pigs, but we got rid of them within a week because of the smell (we had them in a glass aquarium that was way too small and on cheap bedding). Ever since that time, she's been concerned about guinea pig odor because she doesn't want my basement apartment to smell like animals, especially since smells tend to linger down here. I've done research on the issue and shown her the cage and bedding I'd like to use (a C&C cage from Guinea Pig Cages and guinea pig fleece bedding). She's almost convinced, but she wants to see one of these cage set-ups for herself before she makes the final decision.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to show this off to her. I live in the Atlanta area, and the only guinea pig rescue in the state does not house the pigs (the rescue does not have a physical location, so the pigs are all in various foster homes). Another rescue in South Carolina does not seem to use C&C cages or fleece, and Asheville and Knoxville are out of my driving range.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can demonstrate this setup in person? They're greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Why not contact the rescue and ask if you could setup appointment with foster homes. I'm sure they'll be willing to help.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Would showing your mom a picture/video of C&C cages not suffice? There's a massive thread on this site where hundreds of people have posted their cage setups. It's a lot easier to visualize the cages when they're in a person's house with fleece and guinea pigs in it.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: C&C Cage Demonstration

Would showing your mom a picture/video of C&C cages not suffice? There's a massive thread on this site where hundreds of people have posted their cage setups. It's a lot easier to visualize the cages when they're in a person's house with fleece and guinea pigs in it.
I think her mom wants to know if the cage smells. Hard to tell from pictures and videos.

joyknights

Cavy Slave
It would help if you show a video or a picture on what to expect. It is hard to visualize it without an image to rely on. Also, google and this community surely have an answer on how to keep your house clean even with guinea pigs.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Re: C&C Cage Demonstration

@lissie - I must have misread, I thought she already convinced her mom of the smell and just wanted to visualize the setup :)

@thistlewriter - For smell, hay can be a very strong presence. I've gotten used to the smell, but whenever I have guests over they totally notice the smell and often comment on it. It's not a bad smell, but it is a smell. Also boars can be very stinky. Whenever I do a cage clean my boars spray and it smells rank for an hour or so.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hate to throw cold water on your plan, but wood pellets control odor FAR better than fleece and padding. I got 10 months of use out of two bags of horse stall bedding (about $8 each), and NEVER had any odor whatsoever.

And the pellets were still good, and I could have gotten more use out of them. But I had to move the cage, and it was too heavy to move with the pellets in it.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
I hate to throw cold water on your plan, but wood pellets control odor FAR better than fleece and padding. I got 10 months of use out of two bags of horse stall bedding (about $8 each), and NEVER had any odor whatsoever.

And the pellets were still good, and I could have gotten more use out of them. But I had to move the cage, and it was too heavy to move with the pellets in it.

Based on the recommendation of the nearest guinea pig rescue, I'm planning on doing the following: modifying a cat box and turning it into a kitchen, using wood pellets for the bedding. They seem to use this method with their C&C cages and fleece bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.