Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals two girls or boy and girl?

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
We got what we thought were two femail guinea pigs a little over a week ago. We just saw one of them mount the other. Could one of these actually be a boy? We got them from a rescue so I trusted what we were told. Collage 2015-07-01 00_20_03.jpg

Fay

Cavy Slave
They both look like female to me but it's hard to tell from the picture so I'm not a 100% certain, if you could post some clearer pictures that would help. I will say that mounting is normal dominance behavior, including between females. The dominant female might try to mount the submissive female which is perfectly normal.

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
20150701_004226.jpg

This is Patches

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
20150701_004253.jpg

This is Cuddles

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
20150701_005703.jpg

Another of Patches

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
Oh and these close ups are posting sideways for some reason

Soecara

Cavy Slave
They both appear female. Perhaps the one doing the mounting is in heat?

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
Could be, patches has been very vocal the last day or two

Oreocookies123

Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the forums!☺It is perfectly normal for your cavies to mount each other when you first introduce them. It is a display of dominance, to show the other cavy who is in charge. It lasts usually a couple weeks, but if it turns physical and the cavies start biting, you should separate them. This display of dominance happens with both sexes, it is just nature in action. Hope this helps!����

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
What about when they have been together for a long time. Its my understanding that these two have been together for over a year.

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
My girls get humpy when they are in heat :) Fiona is the worst offender. They are just being hormonal. The most we do to help them through is make sure there are enough hidies and escape routes for whoever is not in heat and give them extra exercise. We do extra trick training. Even though, while in heat, they have less focus and are more distractable, the training does help them settle. After they are both out of heat, they are the best of friends again.

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
Trick training?

My girls get humpy when they are in heat :) Fiona is the worst offender. They are just being hormonal. The most we do to help them through is make sure there are enough hidies and escape routes for whoever is not in heat and give them extra exercise. We do extra trick training. Even though, while in heat, they have less focus and are more distractable, the training does help them settle. After they are both out of heat, they are the best of friends again.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Both females.

How old are they? Excessive hormonal behavior can be a sign of ovarian cysts.

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Trick training?

Yeah! Trick training provides great mental stimulation and that can help the girls settle down a bit. Last night, Fiona was actually in heat like really bad, haha. I had work until ten and my boyfriend hadn't let them out at all for floortime because he's been playing the video game he got last month or so. So, when I came home, Fiona was being a real punk to Toora! Fi kept humping and chasing her around. I played with them one at a time first and then put them out on the floor together and Fi was still Miss Humpy, but it was a LOT less intense than it was before because her mind and body were more satisfied. I know that Toora's heat is up next! It's always Fi first, and then Toora-Loora's. Lol. It's pretty regular.

It really does sound like your girlie was in heat :)

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
Yeah! Trick training provides great mental stimulation and that can help the girls settle down a bit. Last night, Fiona was actually in heat like really bad, haha. I had work until ten and my boyfriend hadn't let them out at all for floortime because he's been playing the video game he got last month or so. So, when I came home, Fiona was being a real punk to Toora! Fi kept humping and chasing her around. I played with them one at a time first and then put them out on the floor together and Fi was still Miss Humpy, but it was a LOT less intense than it was before because her mind and body were more satisfied. I know that Toora's heat is up next! It's always Fi first, and then Toora-Loora's. Lol. It's pretty regular.

It really does sound like your girlie was in heat :)

Thanks, we are new to guinea pigs so I have lots of questions. Lol

Fay

Cavy Slave
Thanks, we are new to guinea pigs so I have lots of questions. Lol

Then you've come to the right place :) I learned so much from these forums. Best place to start is by reading the Guinea Lynx care and medical guides:

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

Aside from that, read all the sticky posts in these forums, check the main tab at the top for cage size recommendations (most pet store cages are too small). I especially recommend printing out this vegetable/fruit chart because it makes it so much easier to figure out what vegetables to feed and how often/much:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

If you have any more questions you can use the search function on the forums which should answer most questions but if not don't be afraid to ask, everyone's happy to help out. Oh and this blog also has some great information on introductions and guinea pig behavior. You can click on the tags on the right side to find more articles:

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

robinmosborne

Cavy Slave
I've looked at the fruits and veggies list and I am wondering if you can freeze some of the fruits to help them last longer and then just let them thaw out before giving them to the piggies.

Then you've come to the right place :) I learned so much from these forums. Best place to start is by reading the Guinea Lynx care and medical guides:

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

Aside from that, read all the sticky posts in these forums, check the main tab at the top for cage size recommendations (most pet store cages are too small). I especially recommend printing out this vegetable/fruit chart because it makes it so much easier to figure out what vegetables to feed and how often/much:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

If you have any more questions you can use the search function on the forums which should answer most questions but if not don't be afraid to ask, everyone's happy to help out. Oh and this blog also has some great information on introductions and guinea pig behavior. You can click on the tags on the right side to find more articles:

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.