Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My guinea pig refuses to eat veggies, what do I do?

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Hi guys! I've recently gotten a baby guinea pig from a rescue. They said that he's never had veggies, I was fine with that because I thought I was going to be able to get him to eat veggies, but I guess I was wrong. I've been trying to get him to eat vegetables since he came home but every time he takes a sniff I runs away. All he eats is pellets right now and I am worried that he might not get enough vitamin c. Do you guys have any suggestions to how I can get him to eat veggies? Thanks!

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
I’ve taken guinea pigs that never had veggies before. Rather they ate them or not I put veggies in the cage. When they though I wasn’t looking they would investigate the veggies, lol. Eventually they began eating them but not if I was watching. It took probably 2 weeks. Still wouldn’t eat them in front of me for a few months.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello what pellets are you feeding?

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
I’ve taken guinea pigs that never had veggies before. Rather they ate them or not I put veggies in the cage. When they though I wasn’t looking they would investigate the veggies, lol. Eventually they began eating them but not if I was watching. It took probably 2 weeks. Still wouldn’t eat them in front of me for a few months.

My girls were the same.

At first they wouldn't touch them for nothing. I seriously think they didn't have any before I got them. We tried all sorts of different veggies and still nothing for awhile, but eventually they started investigating and now they love them. Still won't take from our hands yet, but it's a work in progress :)

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Hello what pellets are you feeding?

I am feeding him Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Guinea Pig Food and Kaytee Fiesta Gourmet Variety Diet Guinea Pig Food.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I am feeding him Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Guinea Pig Food and Kaytee Fiesta Gourmet Variety Diet Guinea Pig Food.

Both of those pellets are not good, but the Fiesta Gourmet is especially bad with the seeds so you should stop feeding it immediately. Are you able to get Oxbow by chance?

High quality pellets, such as Oxbow, are formulated with Vit. C so even if you piggy doesn't eat veggies he will get everything he needs with the pellets. Make sure you are also feeding unlimited hay 24/7. You can order big boxes online for much cheaper then you can buy at the petstore.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Both of those pellets are not good, but the Fiesta Gourmet is especially bad with the seeds so you should stop feeding it immediately. Are you able to get Oxbow by chance?

High quality pellets, such as Oxbow, are formulated with Vit. C so even if you piggy doesn't eat veggies he will get everything he needs with the pellets. Make sure you are also feeding unlimited hay 24/7. You can order big boxes online for much cheaper then you can buy at the petstore.

Thank you, I will stop feeding them to him, and I will try to buy some Oxbow pellets. Thanks a lot for the advice.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I have a pig that I rescued from a not-so-good pig owner. She was all by herself for 2 years, never given veggies, rarely given hay, and given bad quality pellets. I've had her for 2 months now and I've switched her to a good quality pellet (Small Pet Select) and she now has an unlimited amount of hay, which she loves! She is with 2 other girl pigs who LIVE for veggies, but the new piggy still won't eat them. She won't eat veggies, fruit, treats, nothing except pellets and hay. She actually runs away from them.

I'm still working with her to try and get her to eat veggies, but I wanted to let you know you weren't alone! Best of luck!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I will stop feeding them to him, and I will try to buy some Oxbow pellets. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Happy to help! It would make it soo much easier if petstores would just sell the proper food/cages but until then you just have to navigate your way to the good stuff.

Once your piggy is eating the pellets then you can try chopping up the veggies really small like another member posted. Oh you mentioned baby piggy, if your piggy is under 6 months make sure you are feeding alfalfa too. Good luck!

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
I have a pig that I rescued from a not-so-good pig owner. She was all by herself for 2 years, never given veggies, rarely given hay, and given bad quality pellets. I've had her for 2 months now and I've switched her to a good quality pellet (Small Pet Select) and she now has an unlimited amount of hay, which she loves! She is with 2 other girl pigs who LIVE for veggies, but the new piggy still won't eat them. She won't eat veggies, fruit, treats, nothing except pellets and hay. She actually runs away from them.

I'm still working with her to try and get her to eat veggies, but I wanted to let you know you weren't alone! Best of luck!

Awww! Thanks! I'm glad that I'm not alone!

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Happy to help! It would make it soo much easier if petstores would just sell the proper food/cages but until then you just have to navigate your way to the good stuff.

Once your piggy is eating the pellets then you can try chopping up the veggies really small like another member posted. Oh you mentioned baby piggy, if your piggy is under 6 months make sure you are feeding alfalfa too. Good luck!

Thanks, again for all the guinealove!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.