Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Is My Guinea Pig Injured? Crusty Nose! *Picture*

Jamie

Cavy Slave
I just noticed today that one of my Guinea pigs' nose is kinda flaky and crusty and I don't know if this is some kind of skin infection or if my other Guinea pig may have bit his nose. If anyone can tell by the picture what could be wrong with him and what I should do about it please let me know! Thank you

Attachments

image.jpg
The picture's too small to tell. It could be a bite, it could be a fungus. Can you post a close-up?

The picture's too small to tell. It could be a bite, it could be a fungus. Can you post a close-up?

Yeah sorry I'm using my phone so it looks bigger to me. I cropped it so I hope this is better:

Attachments

image.jpeg
Yeah sorry I'm using my phone so it looks bigger to me. I cropped it so I hope this is better:

Is there any hair loss at all?

Yes there is

I'm not really qualified to go and say you need to get this and that, but it looks like the beginning or ringworm. You might want to isolate him in a different cage, take him to the vet and see if they can put him on antibiotics until it's all healed up.

Okay thank you for your suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it!

@SpootyBooty, you're new to this. Please don't give medical advice unless you're positive that it's correct.

@Jamie, if it's a fungus, antibiotics will make it worse, not help it. It does look like a fungus, but it's not ringworm -- ringworm makes a ring, hence the name. When you're not sure whether the problem is a fungus or a bacterial infection, you always start with the antifungal first. If it doesn't start to help in a few days, then you switch to an antibacterial.

You can read https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for more information. But you can go to any pharmacy and get a tube of Lotrimin, Nystatin, or Monistat. Use a q-tip and apply it sparingly, rubbing it in well. Do this twice a day for 4-5 days, watching carefully to see if the area stops growing in size. If it does, keep applying it for several days after it looks like it's all cleared up. It takes quite a while to clear up a fungal infection.

If it's not improving after 4-5 days, or if it's getting worse, then stop with the antifungal medication and get a tube of triple antibiotic. Apply to same way as the antifungal, but be SURE to rub it in well. You don't want to get it in his mouth. And you don't want him to be able to get it on his paws when he's cleaning himself and then lick his paws.

Last edited:
If it's ringworm that's a fungus and an antibiotic will only make it worse. Please take a look at this, ringworm can be treated with an over the counter anti-fungal cream like Monistat or Lotrimin: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Thank you so much! This will really help me!

@SpootyBooty, you're new to this. Please don't give medical advice unless you're positive that it's correct.

@Jamie, if it's a fungus, antibiotics will make it worse, not help it. It does look like a fungus, but it's not ringworm -- ringworm makes a ring, hence the name. When you're not sure whether the problem is a fungus or a bacterial infection, you always start with the antifungal first. If it doesn't start to help in a few days, then you switch to an antibacterial.

You can read https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for more information. But you can go to any pharmacy and get a tube of Lotrimin, Nystatin, or Monistat. Use a q-tip and apply it sparingly, rubbing it in well. Do this twice a day for 4-5 days, watching carefully to see if the area stops growing in size. If it does, keep applying it for several days after it looks like it's all cleared up. It takes quite a while to clear up a fungal infection.

If it's not improving after 4-5 days, or if it's getting worse, then stop with the antifungal medication and get a tube of triple antibiotic. Apply to same way as the antifungal, but be SURE to rub it in well. You don't want to get it in his mouth. And you don't want him to be able to get it on his paws when he's cleaning himself and then lick his paws.

Just because I'm "new to this," doesn't mean I don't know what ringworm looks like. That's why I said I'm not qualified to give medical advice. So sorry I made a mistake

Is the fur hard and stuck together with a white-ish substance? It looks like it could be boar glue to me, one of my boys gets boar glue on his nose all the time and will sometimes accidentally pull out some of his fur while he is trying to clean it off.

@SpootyBooty, I didn't post that because you didn't know what ringworm looked like. I posted it because you recommended antibiotics for a fungal infection, which is the wrong thing to do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.