Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior What can I do to make my guinea pigs less bored?

sprunkles

Cavy Slave
So I've got two male guinea pigs (they don't fight they're very calm with each other thankfully) and they love to lay in the sun and popcorn around the cage at random hours of the night lol
Unfortunately, I've noticed they've gotten a bit bored with their scenery and one of the stinkers seems to relieve this by pushing the waterbottle off it's hinges and onto the floor... And proceeds to squeak and hide in his hidey-hut until I reattach it back on. Oh brother :(

I'm saving up some extra money to buy them some new toys and hidey-huts for them to enjoy, but I'm just totally confused what to get! They currently have two hidey-huts, apple sticks (which they don't use besides just throwing around ugh), a dried timothy hay toy they absolutely destroyed rip, and a couple of treats. Do you all have any suggestions that I can buy on Amazon or get physically?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Oxbow has a nice line of toys - https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/enrichment/

I got these tunnels for my boys recently, and they're crazy for them. I would recommend getting them also - (broken link removed)

My boys don't really play, but when they do it's throwing around a particular toy or trying to stack their empty food bowls.

sprunkles

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I'll definitely pick up some of their products (the tunnels look PERFECT!) soon! :D

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't think too hard about toys most pigs don't even like toys and the ones that do you could easily pass off a paper towel roll as a toy. Stuff some veggies and hay into a paper towel roll and suddenly new toy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=46209]4boipigs[/MENTION] about the tunnels. I picked up a couple myself and they arrived just a few days ago. Simon and Leo are bonkers about them!

My boys don't have much in the way of toys, they are happy with each others company, the myriad of hideys, stools, houses and fleece cups to play in and out of. Their hay is two big piles so that's a toy all on its own, and of course toilet paper tubes. These are fun to chew and toss over their head.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Rearrange the hideys, food, and water each day for mental stimulation. Guinea pigs memorize routes to food and to escape, so they will do a few walk-throughs to make sure they can get to safety in a hurry.

Try putting fresh veggie pieces in a baseball-sized wiffle ball. Cut pieces so they fall through the holes and your guinea pigs will learn to roll the ball to get the veggies. Try putting pellets in a cat treat ball like this one: (broken link removed)

sprunkles

Cavy Slave
Ohh got it! I'll try that!

sprunkles

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I rearranged their setup this morning at that seemed to relieve alot of the boredom :)

sprunkles

Cavy Slave
I see! I'll definitely invest in some tunnels for them!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Another way to add some activity is a snuffle mat. I made one out of fleece. It's just a square of fleece with strips of fleece sewn on the top. I hide veggies in it so my guinea pig has to forage to find the treats. Here's a link to an Instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIAMm_5Fz5q/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.