Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Taming Adopted Piggies?

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone I am going to adopt a bonded pair of guinea pig girls tomorrow and I am SO excited!
The old owner was a great owner and I met her here on this forum so I know the girls had a wonderful life with her! They will have a c&c cage which I am buying from the old owner along with toys, fleece, cozies, ext, as well :)

Now most of their things wont change, but obviously the environment and voices will be completely new to them so I am planning on giving them 2-3 days to just settle in without any handling. Now my question is after this settling in period what would you advise me to do from there?
Which steps should I take to make them comfortable with me? I just want them to be happy piggies and of course I know it will take time for them to adjust to the new environment and me. I just want to be sure I take the appropriate steps and make our interactions as comfy and stress free as possible!
Any advice, personal experiences, opinions are gladly accepted!

Thank ahead of time! :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Take steps to make them associate you with good things (and for piggies, that usually means delicious treats). Liberal hanging out of favorite veggies and a limited amount of fruit bits should get them on the road to bonding with you.

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
@mufasa so I should definitely give them that settle in time and then do some hand feeding with them?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Feed them their snacks while you hold them on your lap.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I handled my girls from day 1, and don't think it did them any harm. I figure the quicker they get to you know the better, and if they're already used to handling (which it sounds like they are), it might be more of a shock to just be left alone. I'd try to keep their routine as much the same as possible. So if they're used to ample floor and handling time, I'd say give it to them!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
@mufasa so I should definitely give them that settle in time and then do some hand feeding with them?
Yes, as [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] said, laptime is a great time for hand feeding. Then they associate you very closely with good things.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Try lap time with a cuddle sack and veggies at first, that way they feel safe in the cuddle sack but get used to your hand and associating it with yummy veggies.

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Giving them a few days to adjust is a good idea if they seem stressed. If not, since they are used to handling, I would right away start giving them treats and playing with them.

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone! They seem ok with getting petted although they arent too sure about being carried yet so I'm just gonna give them a few days to settle in :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.