Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth front tooth overgrown

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
3 year old piggie
One of her front top incisors is very long. The other front tooth is not. It hangs down and out of her mouth a little. We mostly noticed this because she tilts her head to the side to drink from the water bottle, and dribbles a lot of water out of her mouth. I bought a chew tunnel hoping she'd gnaw it down on her own but she doesn't seem to be working on that at all. Should we do anything? Will it eventually break , in a good way?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Dental issues like overgrown teeth need a vet visit asap! This will eventually stop her from eating, and you may have to step in and syringe feed her. She may already be having issues if she is dribbling water from her mouth. A vet will be able to trim her teeth back and hopefully that's all there is to it. I would get her to an exotics doctor as soon as you can.

What kind of diet does she have? Does she regularly have things to chew on?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs to see an exotic vet with experience in rodent dentistry. Front teeth that aren't the same length are almost always caused by a problem with the molars, and that needs to be fixed. The molars can overgrow and trap the tongue, keeping the pig from swallowing.

She doesn't necessarily need things to chew on. Some pigs will chew, some won't. But it's the grinding motion of the molars that keeps the front teeth trimmed, not the things they can chew on.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
She needs to see an exotic vet with experience in rodent dentistry. Front teeth that aren't the same length are almost always caused by a problem with the molars, and that needs to be fixed. The molars can overgrow and trap the tongue, keeping the pig from swallowing.

She doesn't necessarily need things to chew on. Some pigs will chew, some won't. But it's the grinding motion of the molars that keeps the front teeth trimmed, not the things they can chew on.

Is that why my pigs ¨chew¨ on nothing?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I dunno. Mine chewed water, which I thought was weird. It sure didn't do anything for their teeth.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I dunno. Mine chewed water, which I thought was weird. It sure didn't do anything for their teeth.

Haha okay, I am going to chew on water from now on. My front teeth literally look like a guinea pigs! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.