Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General can I leave them alone for a few days?

audizzy

Cavy Slave
my family are planning a four day trip, and it happens to land on the same weekend as my in-laws trip, they?re the pet sitters. So idk what to do. Would my four piggies be okay if I leave extra hay and another extra water bottle? We would be leaving on a Friday morning, and coming back on a Monday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
my family are planning a four day trip, and it happens to land on the same weekend as my in-laws trip, they?re the pet sitters. So idk what to do. Would my four piggies be okay if I leave extra hay and another extra water bottle? We would be leaving on a Friday morning, and coming back on a Monday evening.

I would find someone willing to take care of your guinea pigs I don't know where you live but in the Chicago area there's a shelter called cat nap for the heart which you can go to and they were house your guinea pigs for a couple of days while you're away

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

audizzy

Cavy Slave
My mother-in-law is the only one that I would trust and she will also be gone that weekend :/

I live in Germany, and I wish there was a place I could leave them.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
My mother-in-law is the only one that I would trust and she will also be gone that weekend :/

I live in Germany, and I wish there was a place I could leave them.

Is there anyone (maybe a friend?) That could just check on them and make sure they are okay?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

audizzy

Cavy Slave
No, sadly we have no one else.

I?ll just have to figure out some other time to go.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave them that long. Water bottle can leak, or the pigs can play with them and drain them, or they can get blocked.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave them that long. Water bottle can leak, or the pigs can play with them and drain them, or they can get blocked.
Something can happen, they could get sick. No, I wouldn’t leave them alone for days. Get someone to Che k on them at least twice a day. If not that, at least once to give them fresh water and check on food. Drop daily veggies.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Four days is a long time. the longest I ever left mine was from Friday night to Sunday night, which is essentially 48 hours. And the result/smell wasn't very pretty, though they seemed fine.

I'd try to find someone who can come on the third day to at least check their food and water. Tidying up the cage would also be ideal. I'd make use of a hay rack so that they have a "reserve" of hay that they can't pee on (don't pack it too tight because they might yank it all out). Add an extra water bottle as a redundancy in case one goes down.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have 1 gp and I don't leave her alone 1 night. When my friend is unable to help I board her at a gp rescue or with her vet. I'd be too worried about something bad happening.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
4 days is too long to leave them alone. Too much can happen. Water bottles leak, they need fresh veggies each day, hay can run out - they need unlimited access to it. Pigs can get hurt, stuck, sick. Not to mention the daily cleaning that needs to happen. I know you would feel awful if you came back after 4 days to find that something had happened that could have been prevented had someone been there.

As a rule of thumb, I never went away more than overnight if I didn't have someone to check on them at least daily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.