Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Girls in heat? Is their behavior THAT different?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Ok, so here I am again - since we've moved the piggies downstairs and I now watch their behavior a ridiculous amount - I have a new behavior question.

Girls continue to cycle, right? I'm wondering if, like females of several species, they don't start to cycle together when they live in close quarters, especially when there's only 2 of them.

I've compared my girls to two little grumbly old ladies who love each other but won't stop crabbing at the other one. Well, today that behavior seems A LOT worse. Both are rumbling up a storm, Ziggy's been kicking her hind legs out at Cuddles, and Cuddles grumbled for so long and so slowly coming up behind Ziggy that she actually managing to steal her peppers this morning. An unheard of thing in this house - Ziggy Pig earned her name.

It's funny to watch, but I wondered if this was how they might act when in heat and if they might cycle together?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I have experienced in all my girls, but particularly with Inga and Freyja. Inga would get EXTREMELY bossy and mounted/rumbled/chittered her teeth at everyone and no-one. Freyja just becomes a total troll when she's in her cycle, she will push Frigga out of bed, chase her round the cage but then stop short of actually touching her if Frigga stops running, rumble very loudly and show us her cooch. It happens about every 10 days or so.

For the most part I found it settled down as pigs got older, but Inga was like it until the end. Waffles was also a real rumbler, but she was so small she didn't make -any- impact with the others. If she tried to mount them she would just fall off XD

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have had only one sow and everyone in the house (including her neutered cagemate) knew when she was in heat. I once commented to my partner that Maya was acting like she had PMS. The night before she went into heat, she would be touchy, nip at Chester, and be a real diva.

Her first cycle after coming to live with us was a show that I wish I had recorded. Chester had zero libido with being neutered. Maya would chase him around the cage and actually mount and hump him. That first day she carried on like this for hours. Chester at first interpreted it as a play for dominance, but later realized that this was different. They were both exhausted from the chase and the poor little man had to find himself a corner where she couldn't get to his bum.

It was as if she was saying, "Comeon, Chester.....I'll show you what to do. The behavior lessened as she got older......probably realized that she just couldn't seduce Chester. I do think that he finally had some idea of what it was about because I caught him trolling her occasionally.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have had only one sow and everyone in the house (including her neutered cagemate) knew when she was in heat. I once commented to my partner that Maya was acting like she had PMS. The night before she went into heat, she would be touchy, nip at Chester, and be a real diva.

Her first cycle after coming to live with us was a show that I wish I had recorded. Chester had zero libido with being neutered. Maya would chase him around the cage and actually mount and hump him. That first day she carried on like this for hours. Chester at first interpreted it as a play for dominance, but later realized that this was different. They were both exhausted from the chase and the poor little man had to find himself a corner where she couldn't get to his bum.

It was as if she was saying, "Comeon, Chester.....I'll show you what to do. The behavior lessened as she got older......probably realized that she just couldn't seduce Chester. I do think that he finally had some idea of what it was about because I caught him trolling her occasionally.

Sounds like you needed to be a better piggy mommy to Chester.....maybe give him a copy of Pighouse? ;)

Sorry, my smartass is in full swing tonight for some reason.....

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you needed to be a better piggy mommy to Chester.....maybe give him a copy of Pighouse? ;)

Sorry, my smartass is in full swing tonight for some reason.....

Oh, I was trying to think of a good one, but there we go! That's funny [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]!!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
My girls aren't in sync most of the time, once in awhile they line up but not typically.

Odeta gets even bossier than she already is, and mounts the others some. Mostly there's a ton of rumblestrutting and rubbing her rear around.

Theo is in heat much more often than Odeta. Like, she's feeling randy probably half the time, and while I love her, it's pretty gross. Like, "I have to be very careful picking her up so she doesn't slime my hand" gross. When she hits the really intense part of her cycle, she turns into a raging jerk, mostly towards Bitters but sometimes she also attempts to mount and bully Odeta. Odeta sticks up for herself though so after some chattering Theo backs down. She also attempts to eat mouthfuls of her cagemates' fur, and for some reason they often let her. She also used to try and eat my hair, before I cut it. She's lucky she's so cute.

Bitters going into heat is barely noticeable, she just gets a little less tolerant of Theo bullying her and likes to non-aggressively follow Odeta around. She's a sweet baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Theo is in heat much more often than Odeta. Like, she's feeling randy probably half the time, and while I love her, it's pretty gross. Like, "I have to be very careful picking her up so she doesn't slime my hand" gross. When she hits the really intense part of her cycle, she turns into a raging jerk, mostly towards Bitters but sometimes she also attempts to mount and bully Odeta. Odeta sticks up for herself though so after some chattering Theo backs down. She also attempts to eat mouthfuls of her cagemates' fur, and for some reason they often let her. She also used to try and eat my hair, before I cut it. She's lucky she's so cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok first, despite being a woman, eww. Second, ok, sounds like my girls aren't so bad with each other. lol No mounting, just a lot of rumbling, chattering, buck/kicking out, occasional chasing, but they usually end up right where they were before lol. And no less sweet to me, although it sounds like even Theo is a sweetie-pie to you when she's being really, really b***** to everyone else.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I lied - there are attempts at mounting but it's coming from the less dominant pig so she's not getting anywhere, LOL.
[MENTION=39335]wigglemish[/MENTION] serious piggyvision lollollol

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I lied - there are attempts at mounting but it's coming from the less dominant pig so she's not getting anywhere, LOL.
@wigglemish serious piggyvision lollollol

Yup, sounds about right, it's very comical to watch XD Dear Waffles would try and try, do her very best stalking and rumbling and trying to mount all "I'm the boss!" but just end up falling off and rolling over sideways XD It was hilarious! And then after her epic failures she would popcorn away as if she'd really achieved something haha!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Yup, sounds about right, it's very comical to watch XD Dear Waffles would try and try, do her very best stalking and rumbling and trying to mount all "I'm the boss!" but just end up falling off and rolling over sideways XD It was hilarious! And then after her epic failures she would popcorn away as if she'd really achieved something haha!

lol Poor Waffles! Ziggy may have weight on Cuddles, but C has height so she doesn't fall when she gets kicked.
And oh the popcorning! I haven't really seen it before. Maybe once or twice, but now I have popcorning pigs all over the place!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
lol Poor Waffles! Ziggy may have weight on Cuddles, but C has height so she doesn't fall when she gets kicked.
And oh the popcorning! I haven't really seen it before. Maybe once or twice, but now I have popcorning pigs all over the place!

She was a very derpy pig XD

Aaaw, enjoy it! Wait until they do it so hard they fall over, that's a laugh a minute. Freyja will do this and then look so shocked as to how she ended up on the floor hehe

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
She was a very derpy pig XD

Aaaw, enjoy it! Wait until they do it so hard they fall over, that's a laugh a minute. Freyja will do this and then look so shocked as to how she ended up on the floor hehe

I love what a stalker Cuddles is being about it, she walks really slowly, rumbling but again a slow rumble, going around things to creep up on Ziggy - only to get nailed in the face by Ziggys hind feet!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I love what a stalker Cuddles is being about it, she walks really slowly, rumbling but again a slow rumble, going around things to creep up on Ziggy - only to get nailed in the face by Ziggys hind feet!

Haha she will learn eventually XD Has Ziggy sprayed pee in her face yet?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I don't think so... the girls aren't fond of being picked up, but both are "required" (Ziggy wants attention all the time) to have daily interaction and she doesn't smell like pee.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I don't think so... the girls aren't fond of being picked up, but both are "required" (Ziggy wants attention all the time) to have daily interaction and she doesn't smell like pee.

Aw hopefully she's not a sprayer.

Artie will spray pee on Luna's face if she aggrevates her too much. Some of our past girls have done this too, it's a real 'push off' signal XD

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, if you've got one in heat half the time, you probably need to have her evaluated for ovarian cysts. A normal heat cycle happens every 14-16 days and lasts a day or two.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The vet says she probably does have cysts, especially since her nipples are also extremely tender, though we haven't taken an ultrasound to confirm and she couldn't palpate any. However Theo isn't a good surgical candidate due to her weak lungs. I intend to take her back to get confirmation and possibly hormone treatment as soon as I can afford it, which should be soon. Unfortunately Odeta's recent bladder stone and some personal things cleaned me out pretty good. Thank you for your concern. :)

Jandthepigsquad

Cavy Slave
I have two female pigs and their behavior completely changes when they are in heat. My cute little relaxed piggie becomes a little brat and tries to mount the more dominant sow all of the time. So, Bubbles sprays Biscuit in the face with her urine for two days and tries to get her to back off until her cycle ends. It is unsettling to see their personalities flip flop like that. But then, when I start to panic, and assume it will never end; it all stops abruptly, and things settle down to the way they were before heat started. Oh, the joy of pig life! :) And, I do mean that. Now, that I know what to expect, it isn't as scary and it fun to watch their different behaviors. Good luck and best wishes!

Gizpig

Cavy Gazer
I have a trio of girls and one of my females that about 5 weeks ago had a baby, now she is rumble strutting and trying to chase my other girls and if she gets near my peruvian and starts rumbling the peruvian makes a very startling almost like a high pitched scream, they weren’t doing this while she was pregnant could anyone explain maybe what could be happening and if there’s anything i can do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's in heat. There's nothing you can do.

Except break your posts up into sentences! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.