Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How Old Is/was Your Guinea Pig..AVERAGE AGE!

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave
Hello, so I know that everywhere I look people say that the average guinea pig lives 4-8 years. I was wondering what experiences everyone else has had with past guineA pigs or how old your guinea pig now is. Please also include where you got them and gender,breed and maybe even the type of cage (C&C,Store bought) This should help me understand the typical guinea pig age better and not such a large range. Thank you,I look forward to seeing your responses! :rolleyes:

• if you had a guinea pig that lived considerably older or longer than your others please tell what you did differently.

Attachments

image.jpg

mdodge

Cavy Slave
My oldest just passed she was 9.she passed from old age I've had others who passed around 5-6 yrs of age but it was due to illnesses

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I have some as old as 9. One of my boys passed away around 10. I've also had those that passed away for no particular reason as young as 4 months. A set of brothers, one lived to be 7 and the other passed away before a year old. They were treated exactly the same.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
My oldest right now are just under 4 years.

Previously I had a single pig growing up, he lived until 6.5 years but we ended up having him put to sleep. In his last few months he had a terrible time with his teeth and regardless of how many filings or Xrays he had he never seemed to improve. We decided it wasn't fair to him amymore and euthansia was the most humane option. He was purchased from a pet store as a baby and lived in an extra large pet store cage (just under 7 sqft). This was about 8 years ago when I was a young teen.

Although my pigs care could have been much worse my girls that I currently own receive excellent care. We have had some health issues with them regardless of how well I take care of them but I'm hoping they live long healthy lives.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Ikarus (male) and Freya (female) are from the same litter and are both 12 days away from being 7 months old! They were both supposed to be females, but there was a mix up. The litter they are from had 2 boys and 2 girls, one of the boys and one of the girls were twins and we accidentally got the boy twin. That's okay though because we love him! :) We got them from a very nice woman on craigslist because she couldn't keep them due to not having enough time for them (she has horses, dogs, bearded dragons, and the mom and dad of our piggies). We still keep in contact with her and send her updates on them :) We built a C&C cage and I'm still adding onto it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My oldest was 9.5 years. She was a breeder pig that was surrendered to our rescue with her neutered mate. She loved other guinea pigs and I think her doting disposition might have been what kept her alive so long. I have I have one that's about a year old, two that are going to be two, one that will turn 7 on July 19 and a neutered male that's probably around 7. I got him 6 years ago this month and he was an adult that was listed on Petfinder for a long time before I decided to go adopt him and have him neutered since I had all females.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I have one 3.5 year old & two 5.5 year olds, and I can see some signs of age in one of the older ones.

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave
I have some as old as 9. One of my boys passed away around 10. I've also had those that passed away for no particular reason as young as 4 months. A set of brothers, one lived to be 7 and the other passed away before a year old. They were treated exactly the same.

The ones that passed away around 9 & 10, were they from breeders or pet stores or rescues?

Svenandolaf

Cavy Slave
I have two male pigs. I believe one of my pigs is almost 1 and the other one is older so I'm not actually sure. I had another pig but he only lived till 2 because he passed away from URI:(. Both of my boys are short haired pigs. I got them from a lady who's two boys weren't taking care of them like they were supposed to. I have two Midwest cages.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The ones that passed away around 9 & 10, were they from breeders or pet stores or rescues?

Well, I am a rescue. Many of the guinea pigs I get are owner surrenders, and the ones from the local shelters are usually surrenders, too (although more and more they are finding them as strays). I would assume that most of them originally were from pet stores, since there are 7 of the big box ones within 30 minutes of me.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Darwynn is probably four, Juarez is 3 1/2, and Pho is 1.

gpigsrock

Cavy Slave
Well, the oldest pig we've had was 6 years old, I think, and he was a male we got from PetSmart back in 2005. He lived in a couple different cages: a small store-bought cage, a store-bought cage that was up to standard in terms of size, and a 2x5 C&C cage with two (maybe three?) other males. For about a year he lived on wood shavings, but I couldn't say what type of wood it was, and for the rest of his life he lived on CORN COB because my mom could get it locally really cheap and we all thought it was a good bedding at the time??? I was just a kid then, and none of us knew it was wrong.

Currently, my oldest guinea pig is a 3.5 y/o female named Guinea. She was also gotten from Petsmart, and she lived in a small store-bought cage (the same one I mentioned a moment ago, haha) for 3 years, and is now living in a 2x5 C&C cage with two young females. Guinea used to live on shredded paper with newspaper lining her cage, but she now lives on fleece.

My other female pigs are Velvet (6 month old) and Roxie (1 year old), and they also lived on shredded paper with the newspaper. Velvet had the up to standard store-bought cage, and Roxie we adopted, so she came with a SuperPet cage from the previous owners. They now live with Guinea in the 2x5 fleece-lined C&C. I got Velvet from a local pet shop, and Roxie was adopted and also presumably came from a pet shop.

piggsters

Cavy Slave
My oldest is currently 2 years old.

crittercorner

Cavy Slave
I have many guineas over the years (all boars) raging from under a year to almost 10 and each and everyone I spoil rotten it depends really on the piggy and health some piggies no matter how well you may take care of them some just have health issues raging from simple allergy to chronic stones. But the idea is to give the best life to each piggy you can offer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.