Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Best Guinea Pig Pellets?

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I was wondering what type of pellets were the best for a 9 and 4 month old guinea pigs?
I am looking into the Oxbow but all I could find were adult and some young pellets?
As of now I am using Kaytee Pellets.

Thanks,

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Oxbow or KMS hayloft are the only pellets we recommend. KMS is only available in the US and can only be bought online, the cost of the pellets is low but the cost of shipping will vary depending on your location, but it is important to add the shipping and pellet cost together and then figure out the price per pound, and then do the same for any other pellets you are looking at to be able to compare which is acutally better value for money.

Guinea pigs over 6 months old should be given adult pellets. The main difference between young pellets and adult pellets is the calcium content. Young guinea pigs need extra calcium for their growing bones (but you can also give them extra calcium by feeding them high calcium vegetables/herbs), whereas if extra calcium is given to adults it can increase the chance of them forming bladder stones or urinary sludge.

So given you have one guinea pig over 6 months and one under what you can do is feed both of them adult pellets, and take the younger one out once a day and hand feed them a high calcium vegetable/herb such as a couple sprigs of parsley.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I personally use KMS hayloft pellets for my girl, and the only other pellet I would recommend is OxBow.

I switched them from OxBow to KMS several months ago because I was looking for the healthiest option.
One of my girls has a chronic illness and I try to give her only the best to keep her healthy. I do not recommend kaytee pellets and never will. It would be best to switch them off those pellets as soon as possible.

Hope this helps!

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
I got the Oxbow Adult Pellets and planning to feed my younger one some parsley until he is 6 months.Thanks

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
Quick Question.
Should I get Italian Parsley or Curly Parsley for my 4 month old?
Thanks Again.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Either one you (and he) prefer.

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
Okay Thank You So MUCh

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
One last question. sorry about all the questions. but how much parsley should my 4 month okd have. Right now I just gave him 3 leaves (the stalks included as well)

Last edited:

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If you are buying parsley in a bunch just take off the tie/elastic band, take out 1 or 2 of the precut lenghts (you will find some lenghts will have more leaves than others, so if you get one with a lot of leaves just the 1 will do, if you get some that only have 3 or so leaves on them you could feed him 3 of them) and feed him that stalk and all. It isn't an exact science, so you mostly just have to eyeball it and estimate.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
I personally use KMS hayloft pellets for my girl, and the only other pellet I would recommend is OxBow.

I switched them from OxBow to KMS several months ago because I was looking for the healthiest option.
One of my girls has a chronic illness and I try to give her only the best to keep her healthy. I do not recommend kaytee pellets and never will. It would be best to switch them off those pellets as soon as possible.

Hope this helps!
I also feed my GP's kaytee pellets and I know they are not the best kind,but I swear my guinea pigs love them. They get very little maybe 3x or 2x a week on top of a regular heathy gp diet.

I have tried to switch them to heathier brands but my piggies just don't seem to like them very much and barley eat any if at all what should I change?

I know they love these because some weeks (after they have gained some weight I take it off their diet all together or offer it once a week) and their weight is back to normal. (1200ish grams for Oreo and 1400ish grams for Peanut Butter.)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Loving the pellets isn't the most important thing. Far more important is that all pellets in this country except Oxbow and KMS Hayloft are made with limestone as the calcium source, and are high in calcium. You're running the risk of giving your pigs bladder stones, which are painful for them and expensive for you.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I ditto bpatters ! They may love them, but its flat out bad for them. Its like giving a baby ice cream for dinner. Will they love it? Yes. Is it good for them? No. Guinea pigs are very sensitive to diet an the repercussions for an improper diet are huge!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Kms is the only brand I get. Timothy hay for adults and alfalfa hay based for babies. Mooshy loved it and my baby Bella Rose loves it too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.