Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Is this u haul?

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
I know but they don't send to my country and that's why I have searched in other place.
Thank you so much for the answer.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You don't need uhaul to make a liner. If you could find cotton batting, they will work for liners.

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
I know but most people says that u haul it's better.
But I will try. Thank you.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Uhaul is mostly preferred because it's very inexpensive. If you have to ship it across the country, it's not that worth it.

Edit to add:
Uhaul pads are made of denim materials, so they are not much different than cotton batting.

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your explication. Now I understand better the difference. Thanks again.

Novabean

Cavy Slave
I live in the States but I opted to go with the cotton batting. I did a lot of reading/research and for the long run I believe the cotton batting will hold up better and last longer then the uhaul. I agree w/ Lissie above that more people use the uhaul cause it's cheaper.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
If you're going for cheap, try wood pellets (there's a whole thread about it on here, just search "wood pellets" in the search box above). From what I've heard, they do a much better job at controlling odor. Owners say they last anywhere between 8-10 weeks, so about 2 months. Yes, you have to keep buying it, but it does seem to last a while and I heard it's cheaper than u-haul.

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your suggestion @CavyTV but no, all I want is the best for my girls. I have 2 fleece with u haul and i need more because I want to extend the cage, but are very expensive, not to mention the shipping cost and the custom taxes here. That's why I preferred to buy and make them myself.

Alison Archer

Cavy Slave
If I put my uhaul pad into something to shrink it will it stop it from falling apart in my machine thus avoiding the HUGE mess inside my MACHINE.?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
As a point of information, my liners are now about 5-6 yrs. old and are just now wearing out, both inside an out. I can tell that the uHaul middle has disintegrated to a degree because it is leaking onto the coroplast underneath. The fleece is also beginning to fray a bit from using too much bleach.

The push to make new liners is also coming from the fact that no matter how I care for the liners, they have a residual odor to them.

I know it works for some people to use the uHaul without it being encased in fleece, but I simply wouldn't do it. It will likely fall apart much sooner and disintegrate in your washer. The uHaul pads must be prepared by washing in hot water and drying on "HOT" at least a couple of times before sewing them because they shrink quite a bit. After doing this, I then iron/press the pad to get it to lie flat so that I can see what I have to work with.

Alison Archer

Cavy Slave
Won't they start to fall apart in the washerror if the aren't in side something?

Alison Archer

Cavy Slave
I just don't want to wash it to shrink it and have it come out all tattered with bits everywhere in my washing machine.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
As a point of information, my liners are now about 5-6 yrs. old and are just now wearing out, both inside an out. I can tell that the uHaul middle has disintegrated to a degree because it is leaking onto the coroplast underneath. The fleece is also beginning to fray a bit from using too much bleach.

The push to make new liners is also coming from the fact that no matter how I care for the liners, they have a residual odor to them.

I know it works for some people to use the uHaul without it being encased in fleece, but I simply wouldn't do it. It will likely fall apart much sooner and disintegrate in your washer. The uHaul pads must be prepared by washing in hot water and drying on "HOT" at least a couple of times before sewing them because they shrink quite a bit. After doing this, I then iron/press the pad to get it to lie flat so that I can see what I have to work with.

Well here's my duh moment of the day. Never even thought to iron them to get them flat. 🤦🏼‍♀️

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The uhaul won't just instantly fall apart after washing it. You need to wash it and dry it at least once before you sew it together so it can shrink.

Just empty the lint trap on your dryer after and you will be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.