Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is she pregnant? Was told she was spayed!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
I resently adopted two female piggies and was told they where both spayed. I noticed that Snow has been gaining weight, alot of weight! So i have tried to find a scare indecating that she was spayed but I haven't found anything on either girl! Now I'm worried she's pregnant. Please help me.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
How old are they? It looks like she might be, but I'm not an expert. You might have to wait a little longer to see if she gets any bigger. You could also take her to a guinea savvy vet to see what they think.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Snow is 8 months and her female cage mate is 1 year old. I got them both on the 3rd. Snows belly was flat but in such little time she's gain ed that much weight.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
It definitely sounds like she could be pregnant. Do you know if your piggy has already had a litter or not? I would take her to a vet as it sounds like you were lied to about your piggy (possibly both piggies) being spayed. A vet would be able to confirm whether or not your piggy is expecting. I'm not a guinea expert as there is still a lot that I don't know, but maybe someone with a little more experience here in the group can give you more advice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

I don't think a vet visit is necessary unless you've just got money to burn. Take her buddy out of the cage a couple of times a day so you can give the pregnant one some extra calcium, such as sprigs of parsley. And if she'll eat them, give her some extra pellets at the same time. That's better than picking up a massively pregnant pig. Supplement her with some vitamin C.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

I don't think a vet visit is necessary unless you've just got money to burn. Take her buddy out of the cage a couple of times a day so you can give the pregnant one some extra calcium, such as sprigs of parsley. And if she'll eat them, give her some extra pellets at the same time. That's better than picking up a massively pregnant pig. Supplement her with some vitamin C.
Ok I'll give Snow some parsley and extra bell pepper when I take her buddy (BabyGirl) out of the cage to be brushed. Thank you

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
Kale is also a good source of calcium as is alfalfa hay. I've been giving both to my piggy as I'm sure she is pregnant as well. I make sure that all of my piggies get bell peppers and cilantro regularly (almost every day for both) so that they all have plenty of vitamin C.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Kale is also a good source of calcium as is alfalfa hay. I've been giving both to my piggy as I'm sure she is pregnant as well. I make sure that all of my piggies get bell peppers and cilantro regularly (almost every day for both) so that they all have plenty of vitamin C.
Thank you I have been givin her that as well

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Little update on Snow:
Snow has gained a little more weight and is enjoying her sprigs of parsley while BabyGirl is out of the cage. I also have given her some Oxbow young guinea pig pellets and she eats those right up. Today I was checking her over and felt some tiny little pops just above her flanks. Is this the pups kicking? I also checked her pelvic bone and noticed her private area is swollen making it almost impossible to measure her.
I checked BabyGirl as well, her private area is not swollen at all and I could easily fit my pointer finger between her pelvic bones. Should I be worried about Snow's private area or is this normal? Should I be keeping an eye on BabyGirl as well?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Who exactly told you they were spayed? Where did you adopt them from? Spayed females are rare, let alone finding two of them. Looks and sounds pregnant.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Who exactly told you they were spayed? Where did you adopt them from? Spayed females are rare, let alone finding two of them. Looks and sounds pregnant.
I got both girls from Crazy Cavies. They told me that spayed them personally so i shouldn't worry. I'm just glad I didn't put them with one of my intact males (Gizmo) like I told them I was going to. I asked for some more information on both my girls a couple weeks ago by email and they never got back to me. So, other than what they told me (that they where spayed by them, that they where from a hoarder house, and that Snow is 8months old and BabyGirl is 1year oldand that neither of them where cage mate before we adopted them I know basically nothing else. I felt horrible about suspecting them of lying but Snow comes before my feeling.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Don't worry about her. If she's pregnant, there's nothing you can do but wait on the babies to be born. If you are worried about that, line up an exotic vet ahead of time in case she has trouble delivering. But at eight months, she should be ok. You can also read https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html.

I will definately read those pages tonight and thank you bpatters I was so worried about her age being a problem. I called my exotic vet he has a alert on Snow encase anything happens and we are saving money in a jar so if she needs emergency help we can pay for it!
Should I be keeping an eye on BabyGirl since her pelvic bone is spread so much for is that just normal at her age (1 year old)?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I got both girls from Crazy Cavies. They told me that spayed them personally so i shouldn't worry. I'm just glad I didn't put them with one of my intact males (Gizmo) like I told them I was going to. I asked for some more information on both my girls a couple weeks ago by email and they never got back to me. So, other than what they told me (that they where spayed by them, that they where from a hoarder house, and that Snow is 8months old and BabyGirl is 1year oldand that neither of them where cage mate before we adopted them I know basically nothing else. I felt horrible about suspecting them of lying but Snow comes before my feeling.

Good. There aren't many rescues around the country that routinely spay, but I would trust what they told you. Keep weighing and charting regularly. Trust, but verify. :)

scoottie

Cavy Slave
As a former breeder of guinea pigs she does look pregnant to me but early in her pregnancy

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
As a former breeder of guinea pigs she does look pregnant to me but early in her pregnancy
Thank you I've had her about 30 days now

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Update Photo of the belly:

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Snow is enjoying her parsley snacks

Fay

Cavy Slave
To me she doesn't look pregnant, some guinea pigs are just very pear shaped. One of mine looked just like that and she was definitely not pregnant. I guess either way you will find out soon enough whether they are or not, it'll just be a waiting game.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.