Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Whatever happened to the word "petted?" Or "definitely?"

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
What's frustrates me sometimes when writing is all of the auto-correcting that software does now. It can totally change the meaning of your message.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I know. As a person who has read more words than anyone else in her school in Elementary, I see people in Honors (The highest class you can get) Language Arts who spell "Pancacks". It personally drives me nuts when people use improper grammar. Seriously. If I see a typo on my test, I have to correct it. I can't concentrate until I do. Sometimes is amazes me... even my LA teacher spelled "Pilot" wrong, she made it something like "Piolet". Ah, you could say I'm a reading nerd, and I'm proud. I have a trophy that says "Congratulations! Over 3,000,000 words read", and a gift card for winning 2nd place in the spelling bee to prove it. I personally think I read faster than most people in my class, I prefer reading books over socializing.

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
Don't get me started on the difference between "there", "their", and "they're" . . . goodness I know I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar but c'mon! The "to" and "too" thing can get to me as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've got a t-shirt that says "There. Their. They're not the same." I get a LOT of comments about it when I wear it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's an example from that grammarist site:

He likes to pet the cat.
He is petting the cat now.
He petted the cat yesterday
He will pet the cat tomorrow.
The cat likes to be petted.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I have a college degree and I didn't pass an English class after first semester of 9th grade. lol I got shoved through the lower grade equivalents without completing assignments. However, I have always done far more reading than speaking with people. My only detentions were for reading books in other classes when bored. I type much the same as what I read with only a small amount impacted by the internet. Not that I can't do some text speak when I have to, but I will take the time to tap out longer contractions on my phone if I don't feel the substitute is good enough. A chatroom I go to tried to block all img links and ended up blocking "i", "m", and "g". We had to get creative and type without 3 letters for a couple hours. Then there's some of those non English speakers on forums that don't even seem to care if they try. There are times people have pointed them to translation software and spell checking without any of it seeming to sink in. Someone like that just went on rants across all the sections of a forum I'm on, said they were leaving, and appeared again to repeat it after a few days. Unless it's a short, quick post or I'm in a chatroom I do also read things over several times to check the flow and spelling. I can't say I'm anywhere near perfect but all my literacy is self taught.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I've got a t-shirt that says "There. Their. They're not the same." I get a LOT of comments about it when I wear it.

I need that shirt!!

Also, I've worked at a shoe store for the better part of 7 years. The shoes fit you, you do not fit the shoe . As in "How does that size feel?" Answer: "I can fit it." No, it fits you.

pinky

Cavy Slave
But pet is not the past form of peet. Maybe I'm just dense tonight.

I never said it was. I just think people use a word a lot and then associate it with another word and don't think it through. That was my point.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
pigmommy89, google for a Signals catalog. I'm pretty sure that's were I got it.

They've got another one I'm going to get someday It says:

Eat Grandma.
Eat, Grandma.
Commas save lives.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
They've got another one I'm going to get someday It says:

Eat Grandma.
Eat, Grandma.
Commas save lives.
@bpatters, lol. My family regularly uses that phrase... it's a pretty funny one.

I take pride in writing legible English. I love creative writing, and it's probably my best subject. It's very irritating to me when people write something like, "I went a cat to pet on" or something like that. How did people get to this point? Is it carelessness? Or real ignorance of how to write?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I have a friend who thinks men take her for granite.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
From where I sit, some of the teachers are overworked and don't have enough time to grade papers/give mostly multiple choice tests so the kids do little writing/can't write or spell themselves. I'm not saying it's all the teachers' fault, by any means whatsoever. But I know the two kids who live in our house get much less feedback from their teachers than I got in a small rural school in Mississippi that had combined grades because there weren't enough classrooms. They grade each other's daily papers with about as much accuracy as you'd expect from that system. Many of the tests are downloaded from some site that the school system subscribes to, and I couldn't tell you how many times I've complained because the questions don't even make sense. You can't tell what they're asking for.

In fairness, the teachers have a lot more committee work and paper work than my teachers did, and they're working hard from the time they get there until they go home. They have heavy workloads. But a lot of things that are required of them could go by the board, as far as I'm concerned, and they could spend more time with the kids and their work.

But occasionally, the teacher just can't cut the mustard. When our older kid went to her fourth grade classroom the first day, the teacher had nicely decorated the room and had written all sorts of things on the chalk and white boards. I counted four grammatical errors and three misspelled words that first day. How the hell can the kid get it right if the teacher can't get it right? And this is a VERY highly rated school district in Houston.

And NOBODY pays any attention to spelling!

ETA: @MLT2007, that one drives me up the wall.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
"Your" and "You're" are probably the most irritating to me, followed by "then" and "than." I also hate when people say supposebly instead of supposedly. Great thread @bpatters. I needed a good place to vent!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I have a friend who thinks men take her for granite.

Lol Does she have granted countertops?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Seeing people type "I seen" and similar errors is worse than nails on the chalk board to me.

I saw a funny Facebook meme about this very thing. It was, "When you say, 'I seen', I assume you don't mean the inside of a book"

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
This is a funny topic. English is not my native language and even I get a bit cranky at some of the mistakes. I usually check where the poster is from and more often than not they are native English speakers/writers.

I have been seeing a lot of "alots" lately.
https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.nl/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

A while ago I read some fanfiction that used "apart of" instead "a part of." It did my head in and I could not finish the story.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I have been seeing a lot of "alots" lately.
https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.nl/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

A while ago I read some fanfiction that used "apart of" instead "a part of." It did my head in and I could not finish the story.

I remember in High School, in one of the joint English/Maths room they had all these little sayings around the room to remember spelling and grammar (not that much of it stuck with me over the years), but one that did was written in bold and all it had was 'A lot is two words'. All these years later and it's stuck like glue in my head which is especially amazing considering how everything else likes leaking out! And don't even get me started on fanfic. Ugh. I occasionally wander into fandoms (JAG, Stargate, Harry Potter, Ballykissangel are the main ones) and for every well written story there are 10 that make me want to toss my computer across the room. One word that always, ALWAYS gets me is...skiddish. And then skiddered. What are they teaching in schools these days? (To paraphrase The Professor from Narnia!)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think what bothers me the most is the constant use the words "seriously" and "whatever." There are still people who can't say a single sentence without the use of "like." "Bwahaha" also drives me crazy. In my mind, writing a letter is different than a quick message or comment. Gross errors bother me but typos that are made in a comment don't annoy me because I think that written comments are meant to be a quick exchange of ideas and not a necessarily a novel. It's more of a casual exchange.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.