Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

piggie_momma

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I am Biscuit's momma - we just got him for Christmas as a present for my girls.:):love: We have a 2 level closed cage as we have cats and dogs. I have used wood pellets under the fleece on the bottom level and a crib mattress wrapped in fleece for the upper level. I also have a litter box for the kitchen/bathroom area. :eek:. Biscuit uses both levels very well and mainly poops in the litter box, which has made clean up rather easy so far. I just vacume each day. I am still tweeking the cage but love it so far. Thanks for all the posts to this forum as it really helped me figure out what would be best for our family. The girls love that he is in their room. I used an old coffee table that I found in our basement for the base of the cage and it has worked very well as I can store things underneath, but is very sturdy as the cage I think is rather heavy with the wood pellets. I have 2 layers of fleece over the pellets and the cage is very quiet when he popcorns and runs. I used an old bath mat for the floor to the ramp.

Can't wait to add more items for him to play with. We love him! :love: IMG_1492.jpgIMG_1489.jpgIMG_1498.jpg

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Cute cage and adorable cavy, [MENTION=33908]piggie_momma[/MENTION]!

I do have one question, however. Does Biscuit have a friend to share his pad with?

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great! And Biscuit is adorable!! I do agree that a friend would be nice.

HeresTheSkinny

Cavy Slave
Here's my new MW cage! I'm really excited about it. Thanks to you guys, it's a lot different than the guinea pig cages I had growing up! I sewed all my own liners and sleeping bags. Let me (and Hippo and Dermis) take you on a tour.

20150103_101552_zpsb7abddf8.jpg
Here they are in the kitchen area! Dermis is still a little too small to reach the waterbottle without stretching, so I put a rock under it to catch drips and allow him to reach. You can see them enjoying a special treat- a carrot!
20150103_101635_zpsac469afd.jpg
I covered the ramp from the kitchen to the living area with fleece because they kept sliding! It also continues under the ramps, because they like to hide under there.

20150103_101629_zpsfb57f465.jpg
Here's the living area! The igloo is filled with strips of fleece to burrow into. Dermis really like that. The hay nest used to be a rolling ball, but I flattened it and secured it so that it's now not rollable. It's made of timothy hay, so they like to chew on it while they sit in it. There's also several fleece pockets for them to snuggle into- it's cold and they're hairless! The light you see is a low heat reptile heat coil that is earthquake secured to the table so that it cannot fall. Because of their hairlessness, they need a little extra warmth during the winter.

Thoughts? Advice?

Attachments

20150103_101629.jpg 20150103_101552.jpg

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Here's my new MW cage! I'm really excited about it. Thanks to you guys, it's a lot different than the guinea pig cages I had growing up! I sewed all my own liners and sleeping bags. Let me (and Hippo and Dermis) take you on a tour.

View attachment 71587

Here they are in the kitchen area! Dermis is still a little too small to reach the waterbottle without stretching, so I put a rock under it to catch drips and allow him to reach. You can see them enjoying a special treat- a carrot!
View attachment 71588
I covered the ramp from the kitchen to the living area with fleece because they kept sliding! It also continues under the ramps, because they like to hide under there.

View attachment 71589
Here's the living area! The igloo is filled with strips of fleece to burrow into. Dermis really like that. The hay nest used to be a rolling ball, but I flattened it and secured it so that it's now not rollable. It's made of timothy hay, so they like to chew on it while they sit in it. There's also several fleece pockets for them to snuggle into- it's cold and they're hairless! The light you see is a low heat reptile heat coil that is earthquake secured to the table so that it cannot fall. Because of their hairlessness, they need a little extra warmth during the winter.

Thoughts? Advice?

Your skinnys are adorable!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Finally, my cage! I have yet to deck it out with fleece, but here it is!
picture060.jpg
The food bowl was being washed, along with the water bottle. The pigs were playing and the top wasn't on! :D

Add the food (Unable to see it in the pic), lid, water, and pigs!
picture061.jpg
Much better than their old cage!
picture010.jpg

I love the space of my 2x3.5 C&C cage! My boys get along fine. :D

AbbeyRoad77

Cavy Slave
We finished DD's upgrade today for her piggies. Now with stand and kitchen loft. We found a good use for a discarded political sign - a piggy ramp! Lol She even started decorating for Mardi Gras with some garland. Finishing touch was their names on a heart over the cage. [emoji175] These cages are addictively adaptable!

She even set up her old iPhone and downloaded a baby monitor app so we can watch them away from home. We caught them both eating hay at the same time which used to never happen as they aren't very good sharers. Two of everything in the kitchen!

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
Here is my cage for the girls, recent upgrade.
qzF6LEk.jpg

I've since added a grid and sign up top.
esgx9qO.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
We finished DD's upgrade today for her piggies. Now with stand and kitchen loft. We found a good use for a discarded political sign - a piggy ramp! Lol She even started decorating for Mardi Gras with some garland. Finishing touch was their names on a heart over the cage. [emoji175] These cages are addictively adaptable!

She even set up her old iPhone and downloaded a baby monitor app so we can watch them away from home. We caught them both eating hay at the same time which used to never happen as they aren't very good sharers. Two of everything in the kitchen!

Very cute cage and pigs.

There's a warning about the hay bag you have. See this thread on Guinea Lynx.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Everyone's cages look awesome! Can't wait to get my fleece in a week or so! :D One question, however. If you are adding on to your cage, how would you attach the coroplast? With tape? Or do you need a whole new sheet?

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
Yes, use tape! Just make sure it's covered or on the outside so the pigs can't get to it.

LitaLovesCavys

Cavy Slave
CavyMommie: Couldn't agree more! None of the fleece in my cage matches. I think it's fun...and my boys don't seem to notice lol Great cage btw :)

AbbeyRoad77

Cavy Slave

AbbeyRoad77

Cavy Slave

My daughter and I have been drooling over your cage. Simply amazing. I think it's bigger than her whole bedroom LOL!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@pigger123 Why does your cage look so much bigger than mine?! Mine is also a 2x6 but yours seems huge. It's driving me nuts...lol. I wonder if the "kitchen" is what makes mine visually look smaller. Grrrr.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
@pigger123 I LOVE your cage! It looks awesome.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=30060]pigger123[/MENTION] Why does your cage look so much bigger than mine?! Mine is also a 2x6 but yours seems huge. It's driving me nuts...lol. I wonder if the "kitchen" is what makes mine visually look smaller. Grrrr.

I think kitchens do make cages look smaller. I used to have a 2x1.5 kitchen, and the cage looked shorter. That was also before I added the basement level. It may also just be the photo angle. In person, it really does not seem huge. :)

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
@pigger123 I always love looking at your cage! Compared to my 2x4 your cage is a palace!

Harriet Marlow

Cavy Slave
Very new to this, so it's a pretty simple one. Getting lots of ideas from this thread though!

10342907_10152611097746969_8187072995967974488_n.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.