Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towels My towels under the fleece get really damp! please read more

May09

Cavy Slave
I am using fleece with two blankets and I have to boars. they pee A LOT or something! the first day of changing bedding and their blanket is already wet! is there something you could suggest? I am guessing this adds to the smell that I am not appreciating haha

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I have used about half a billion things for my boys and I swear towels are the worse. I find that puppy pads work really well under the fleece, or waterproof crib liners work well also. The liners can get pricey, but they work. I also have heard of using wood pellets under fleece and that they last for like six weeks with no smell. You really just have to rotate between stuff and find what works best for you. I hope I helped!

May09

Cavy Slave
I have used about half a billion things for my boys and I swear towels are the worse. !
yeah the blankets are awful I am finding out! what do you think about uhaul pads will this just have the same outcome?

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Towels are pretty bad. They can only soak up so much because they aren't very thick.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ive used different things as well. I used towels, pretty stinky. Ive used wood pellets, pretty heavy and hard to spot clean and super hard for a whole cage change. Carefresh is just too expensive with three 2x6 cages at the time. Im currently using uhaul pads. They are reasonable, about 7$ each and I fold in half to have a double layer. There ok. I find doubled over soaks through to the vinyl liner underneath, don't smell as bad as towels. But because it doesnt seem quite as absorbent I do put a single layer of towels under the uhauls. Only some spots are wet through to towels.
I agree, just switch around and see what works best for you. I have a 2x1.5 kitchen area that is fleece and uhaul as well. That works better as they do a lot of their business in there and it is small enough I can change out every couple or three days.

Good luck

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I have yet to try uhual padding/pads but I have heard they work miracles! I have heard some stories about piggie parents who have switched from towels to uhual padding and claim it is amazing. I am probably going to end up getting some myself being that the puppy pads add up compared to a one time fee. I would definitely go for it! There are quite a few threads about uhual padding on here, I would for sure check them out.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of switching to uhaul pads, I currently use towels and while they aren't horrible, I am looking for something better. I've heard the wood pellets are amazing, but I have a 2X5 with a 2X2 extension, and I'm wondering how expensive that will slowly add up to be?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lord Pigwidgeon, my cage is larger than yours, and I spend about $7 every 4-6 weeks on pellets.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
Oh, wow! Not expensive at all!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I know pretty much the whole forum haaaates towels as absorbent layers but I honestly can't complain about them. I use a layer of fleece, three to four towels, and a baby crib pad which is on the bottom (and never, ever, gets wet or damp.) I think the only issue with them is that you have to use a lot of them, which obviously would be a hassle for some people considering how long they take to dry once washed etc.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
I don't mind them, but it's a hassle for laundry because there's so many towels hahaha. I'm wondering, even though wood pellets don't get changed but once a month, you still wash the fleece at least once a week, right?

pawner69

Cavy Slave
yeah the blankets are awful I am finding out! what do you think about uhaul pads will this just have the same outcome?

I use Uhaul pads with my fleece and my cage never smells unless I get lazy and don't clean it. I can usually go a week to 10 days before I have to change anything and that's with twice day sweeping poops. I use flippers so I can go probably 3 full weeks before having to do a full cage clean. The flipper under their beds usually only lasts a week or so because that's where they spend most of their time. Lazy piggies! LOL

Oh and FYI...my cage is about 6 inches from my dining room table to smell is NOT an option. ;) I have a 2X5 with 3 ADORABLE girls. :love:

One more thing....the Uhaul pads I am currently using are approximately 2 years old and have been used over and over. Very cheap investment if you take care of them. I wash them same as I wash my fleece and have not had any issues. They are starting to break down a bit now so I will probably have to replace them soon. But one pad costs $8 and it will fit my whole cage.

May09

Cavy Slave
oh wow that sounds great! so with them do they get soaked and damp lie towels do because i have two boys and they pee so much! i am not sure if they do more than girls but i am just curious

McKenna Pickles

Cavy Slave
I have 4 females and they don't pee that much...I say why not trying putting newspapers and towels?

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
I used to do newspapers, towels and fleece on top. Newspapers are STINKY! They aren't absorbent at all. So I switched to uahual and fleece. I did a complete change on Saturday and I have a kitchen area that I change several times and just changed that Tuesday and it smells in here today. Smells like elephants!! LOL Thats what I told them this morning that they smell like a bunch of stinky elephants, they through me a dirty look. I think its peed on hay.
But I got rid of the newspapers and use folded over uhauls and I do put a single layer of towels underneath as I didn't think the uhaul alone doubled over wasn't cutting it. My boys are big pee'rs.
Im still trying to find the right combo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.