Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats homemade treat recipe

khw10

Cavy Slave
hi! here is a easy homemade treat recipe:

1. about 1 cup of dry food (depending on the amount you wan't to make)
2. 1/2 an apple ( just the flesh)
3. 1/2 Tsp of Honey
4. 3 crushed vitamin c tablets

put all the ingredients into a mixer and beat until it is smooth. Then put it in a container and put in the freezer, And freeze them until hard then feed them frozen they love them!

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Mmm.. Sounds like a yummy summer treat. I've seen ice cube tray popsicles for piggies on youtube.

KimmiA

Cavy Slave
Yum! Thanks for sharing! Since my girls had a little sludge problem a few weeks back, I'd probably omit the Vit C in the recipe.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Yum! Thanks for sharing! Since my girls had a little sludge problem a few weeks back, I'd probably omit the Vit C in the recipe.

Vitamin C isn't what cause sludge issues, calcium is, so you wouldn't need to leave out the Vit. C.
If anything, I would leave out the honey or at least make it a smaller amount.
A teaspoon of honey has about 17 grams of sugar in it, which is more than the fruits listed on the nutrition chart have. That, added with the sugar from the apple, seems like too much sugar to me.
It would be a much healthier treat for them if you used just the apple and no honey. They would probably like it just as much, too.

That being said, I really do love the idea of this treat! :)

khw10

Cavy Slave
but you can't keep it together with JUST apple :)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
but you can't keep it together with JUST apple :)

I was just thinking that the pellets and juice from the apple would hold it together by themselves by making it have a sort of cookie dough-ish texture. lol

kimmaurizio

Cavy Slave
hi! here is a easy homemade treat recipe:

1. about 1 cup of dry food (depending on the amount you wan't to make)
2. 1/2 an apple ( just the flesh)
3. 1/2 Tsp of Honey
4. 3 crushed vitamin c tablets

put all the ingredients into a mixer and beat until it is smooth. Then put it in a container and put in the freezer, And freeze them until hard then feed them frozen they love them!

i wonder if these could be baked to make them shelf stable ? or maybe if using a dog bone recipe but replacing the flour with ground pellets and baking those would work as a good treat ?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Honey is a problem in the recipe. Treats for guinea pigs are best as a more natural food that they don't get very often. Perhaps a chunk of watermelon, or a few blueberries, maybe a slice of strawberry.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Personally, I love to give my girls seedless grapes as their treats. They can't stand apple, or pear, or most fruits really! Neither of them are in to anything high in sugar, they aren't even that excited over red pepper! So when I realised they love grapes, I made it a weekly treat that they get one grape each on a Saturday :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Mine get cherry tomatoes sometimes. I find I have to puncture the skin initially so they can start to eat it but they do love it - at least the less picky of my two boys does LOL

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Mine devour cherry tomatoes. They love them! :love:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CavyMama, I think they've got you buffaloed. Puncturing a tomato skin for those razor knives in their mouths? No way!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
LOL the one of my boys who is the less picky of the two, is nearly 6. He loves his cherry tomatoes but he's not the brightest of pigs so I sometimes have to start it for him. Most times I'll cut one in half and give one half to each pig. Perhaps you are right - maybe they have me snowed and are just being lazy little punks LOL

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
is the vit. c tablets nessesary? i only have Vita Drops that I put in her water. 2 drips per ounce. would that work?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
is the vit. c tablets nessesary? i only have Vita Drops that I put in her water. 2 drips per ounce. would that work?

Vitamin drops that you put in water are useless. The vit. C in them will degrade far before the pig drinks enough water for it to make a difference, and it usually changes the taste of the water which can make the pig drink less than they should.
As long as you're giving enough veggies they should be getting enough Vit. C without needing anything extra such as drops. Bell peppers are great sources of Vit. C.

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
okay, green bell peppers,right?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
okay, green bell peppers,right?

The green ones can be fed daily. You can also feed yellow, orange, and red. I would feed yellow/orange about 2-4 times a week and red once or twice a week as they're higher in sugar.

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
The green ones can be fed daily. You can also feed yellow, orange, and red. I would feed yellow/orange about 2-4 times a week and red once or twice a week as they're higher in sugar.

Okie. I went to walmart today and got Pookie a green bell pepper. how much should i feed them everyday?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Okie. I went to walmart today and got Pookie a green bell pepper. how much should i feed them everyday?

I give my boys 1/8 slice each every day, though sometimes I give them a little bit more than that since they're both crazy about peppers. lol

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
lol Pookie loves them too! and btw i stopped using the Vita Drops.... ten bucks, down the drain.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.