Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting How do I go about rehoming our guinea pig, Angelina.

Dashmo

Cavy Slave
You have to understand. We had a gp before. He was amazing, without a partner, from a baby age. I thought maybe most adjust. I am seeing now, that it is not true. We can not get another pet at this time, or I shoudl say, that is not the right decision for us. So is it better to jsut let it live life alone, of course not!! She is only liek 8 months old. She has a long life to live, and nothing would make me happier then to see her running with other pigs.

Not to be harsh, but if your previous pig lived its entire life alone it was not happy, or at least not as happy as it could and should have been. It probably acted very happy around humans because it was the only interaction it got, but when you were out at work or sleeping it was likely miserable being alone. You were happy, it was not. It was likely too depressed to vocalize its desire for attention, whereas your current pig is more persistent.

You have a large enough cage to add another guinea pig, and the financial difference this makes is negligible. The pig you have now would be happier and likely quieter as a result, which eliminates the issue it's causing with your husband's work (which by the way, as someone who mostly works from home, I completely understand). If you are unwilling to do this, please ask a rehoming fee as bpatters said so your guinea pig isn't used as a feeder for some idiot with a snake.

You knowingly adopted a herd animal and are now dissatisfied with it for showing it's nature. Rather than give the animal what it needs to thrive, you are instead discarding it.

jayval

Cavy Slave
Not to be harsh, but if your previous pig lived its entire life alone it was not happy, or at least not as happy as it could and should have been. It probably acted very happy around humans because it was the only interaction it got, but when you were out at work or sleeping it was likely miserable being alone. You were happy, it was not. It was likely too depressed to vocalize its desire for attention, whereas your current pig is more persistent.

You have a large enough cage to add another guinea pig, and the financial difference this makes is negligible. The pig you have now would be happier and likely quieter as a result, which eliminates the issue it's causing with your husband's work (which by the way, as someone who mostly works from home, I completely understand). If you are unwilling to do this, please ask a rehoming fee as bpatters said so your guinea pig isn't used as a feeder for some idiot with a snake.

You knowingly adopted a herd animal and are now dissatisfied with it for showing it's nature. Rather than give the animal what it needs to thrive, you are instead discarding it.

I really dont feel like being bashed at the moment. If I wanted to discard the pig I could drop it off at any pet shop. We can not get another pig, and honestly it would cost at least $60 more a month in food, hay, and bedding. Anyway, please do not discuss my prior pig. We were very close. That pig was never that vocal, even as a baby, and was content and happy. He never ran from my voice, except the first month. Also, I am a stay at home mom, so the pig was always around us. I am on here trying to see if someone would care for the pig, as I woudl love to follow her thru her life! I understand pigs should have companions, but I know some pigs that are purely content on their own. I am not saying our pig is wrong at all, I just want a better home for her, as we can not provide her another pig at this time. She is young, and happy, except for being alone, so she would make a great companion for another female piggie. Also, a 2x3 IMO is not that big for 2 pigs, though I know it works. I find it small, because the house in the middle takes up space.

If anyone is interested please contact me, we are in Middlesex NJ. We would charge an adoption fee, and would send over an application, but we would also give you the entire new cubby system and cage for free. I just purchased it in February. I would like to stay in contact with the adopter to see her grow! :)

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
You have to understand that as a member of this forum, you completely ignored all of the advice given by owners with decades of experience with hundreds of pigs because you felt you knew better about pigs and companions. And then when it turned out that the decades of experience trumped your assumptions, you decided the easiest route was to just put the pig on the saturated adoption market.

I understand that family expenses can be tight. But I'm not sure how you are coming up $60/month in extra expenses for another pig. I don't spend that amount for my 2 combined. Vet fees may go up, but with a young healthy pig you may not need a vet for many years. (fingers crossed)

I hope you don't feel like you are being bashed and I apologize if my post comes off that way. There are many threads where folks have tried to re-home pigs owners on here due to changing family situations or other things that are somewhat out of the family's control. However this situation reads like you just don't want a skittish-natured pig and would rather give up on the pig than do what is necessary to bring the pig out of its shell. There are many stories on this forum of folks who get a companion for their skittish pig only to find out that the personality of the pig really comes alive with the companion. That is even for elderly pigs who have a companion for the first time.

If you are convinced that you don't want the pig, then I thank you for at least trying to give her to a suitable home. At least that is the 2nd best thing you can do for her.

jayval

Cavy Slave
You have to understand that as a member of this forum, you completely ignored all of the advice given by owners with decades of experience with hundreds of pigs because you felt you knew better about pigs and companions. And then when it turned out that the decades of experience trumped your assumptions, you decided the easiest route was to just put the pig on the saturated adoption market.

I understand that family expenses can be tight. But I'm not sure how you are coming up $60/month in extra expenses for another pig. I don't spend that amount for my 2 combined. Vet fees may go up, but with a young healthy pig you may not need a vet for many years. (fingers crossed)

I hope you don't feel like you are being bashed and I apologize if my post comes off that way. There are many threads where folks have tried to re-home pigs owners on here due to changing family situations or other things that are somewhat out of the family's control. However this situation reads like you just don't want a skittish-natured pig and would rather give up on the pig than do what is necessary to bring the pig out of its shell. There are many stories on this forum of folks who get a companion for their skittish pig only to find out that the personality of the pig really comes alive with the companion. That is even for elderly pigs who have a companion for the first time.

If you are convinced that you don't want the pig, then I thank you for at least trying to give her to a suitable home. At least that is the 2nd best thing you can do for her.

I understand. I am also kind of perfectionist, so this is not something I would usually do, and we are still unsure if we will do it or not. Its not like she will be in a foster home, she is with us. If we find someone than it works out. I spend alot on one pig as it is, as I dont use fleece. We spend alot on bedding, hay and food. Point being our family doesnt want 2 pigs. We had such a nice time with Twix, I guess we didnt realize that all pigs are different, and this pig seems to really really need a companion. If we wanted 2 pets, then we would have acquired 2 pigs to start with. Lesson is learned, and instead of dragging out her life, living as a single, we thought it would be better for her that if someone was looking for a young female, then its a win win for everyone. I dont think she will be phased going to another home. As it is, she really doesnt like me. Not sure why. I have given her so much attn since day one. She sometimes let me pet her, but for the most part runs to front of cage for food, then when she hears our voice, she runs and hides. I just want her to be happy, with another piggie.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I understand. I am also kind of perfectionist, so this is not something I would usually do, and we are still unsure if we will do it or not. Its not like she will be in a foster home, she is with us. If we find someone than it works out. I spend alot on one pig as it is, as I dont use fleece. We spend alot on bedding, hay and food. Point being our family doesnt want 2 pigs. We had such a nice time with Twix, I guess we didnt realize that all pigs are different, and this pig seems to really really need a companion. If we wanted 2 pets, then we would have acquired 2 pigs to start with. Lesson is learned, and instead of dragging out her life, living as a single, we thought it would be better for her that if someone was looking for a young female, then its a win win for everyone. I dont think she will be phased going to another home. As it is, she really doesnt like me. Not sure why. I have given her so much attn since day one. She sometimes let me pet her, but for the most part runs to front of cage for food, then when she hears our voice, she runs and hides. I just want her to be happy, with another piggie.

I think your estimate of $60 more per month is pretty steep. I have 5 guinea pigs and don't spend anywhere near $300 a month on them. I don't even spend $40 a month on bedding and I always buy my veggies on sale or at the lowest price around here. I have two 2x5 cages and one 2x4. If you shop carefully, you can vegetables for close to nothing in the summer. Just ask a grocer to save you whatever they cut off the lettuces. You can grow vegetables, too, and get free corn husks. I use half fleece and half bedding in my cages which cuts the cost in half.

It's really hard losing one you really cared about but this one isn't even a year old yet so she hasn't had a chance to really get to know you. The kitchen, dining room or living room would probably be a better place to keep her where she'd be in the middle of the household activities and would become more social. It takes time. One of the ones I have now was very antisocial when we got her. It took quite a while but she's really sweet now. She lives alone because she's aggressive with other guinea pigs but she's active and healthy. I have had singles that have had very good lives here. We just pay a lot of attention to them.

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
@surlypiggy, if you're in Dallas, why not try Texas Guinea Pig Rustlers in Lewisville? They've got plenty of pigs available. www.theguineapigrescue.com

Oh, I know. They're great. I'm not in a hurry to adopt. I really want a Grey female abby, so I am content to wait until one comes up.

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I really dont feel like being bashed at the moment. If I wanted to discard the pig I could drop it off at any pet shop. We can not get another pig, and honestly it would cost at least $60 more a month in food, hay, and bedding. Anyway, please do not discuss my prior pig. We were very close. That pig was never that vocal, even as a baby, and was content and happy. He never ran from my voice, except the first month. Also, I am a stay at home mom, so the pig was always around us. I am on here trying to see if someone would care for the pig, as I woudl love to follow her thru her life! I understand pigs should have companions, but I know some pigs that are purely content on their own. I am not saying our pig is wrong at all, I just want a better home for her, as we can not provide her another pig at this time. She is young, and happy, except for being alone, so she would make a great companion for another female piggie. Also, a 2x3 IMO is not that big for 2 pigs, though I know it works. I find it small, because the house in the middle takes up space.

If anyone is interested please contact me, we are in Middlesex NJ. We would charge an adoption fee, and would send over an application, but we would also give you the entire new cubby system and cage for free. I just purchased it in February. I would like to stay in contact with the adopter to see her grow! :)

I truly wish I could take her. I will be in NJ next month, but I'm driving up with 5 kids and there will be no room to bring her back with us. :(

I also agree the extra $60 a month is pretty steep. I might be around that much on two boars total. But I don't have to buy bedding because I made fleece liners. I can't recommend that enough if you are looking to save some money. Even wood pellets are only like $5.00 for 8 weeks worth. The picture looks like you are using carefresh? That's a pricey option, and though it works for some, for me it was one that required more attention and caused odor quicker. I started using fleece months ago and have never had an issue with that since.

You said you are a stay at home mom? Have you reached out to some of your kids friends moms? Sometimes that is a great way to find a good home, they may be interested in adopting and getting a friend for her. I adopted a pig that way myself.

jayval

Cavy Slave
I truly wish I could take her. I will be in NJ next month, but I'm driving up with 5 kids and there will be no room to bring her back with us. :(

I also agree the extra $60 a month is pretty steep. I might be around that much on two boars total. But I don't have to buy bedding because I made fleece liners. I can't recommend that enough if you are looking to save some money. Even wood pellets are only like $5.00 for 8 weeks worth. The picture looks like you are using carefresh? That's a pricey option, and though it works for some, for me it was one that required more attention and caused odor quicker. I started using fleece months ago and have never had an issue with that since.

You said you are a stay at home mom? Have you reached out to some of your kids friends moms? Sometimes that is a great way to find a good home, they may be interested in adopting and getting a friend for her. I adopted a pig that way myself.

It is not just the money, but yes, with Carefresh which I love, but it is pricey. I really don't like the idea of fleece. Yes, with hay, and bedding, and food I am basically paying almsot $60 a month now! But, getting another guinea pig is not right for our family at the moment. None of her friends have pigs, and I woudl rather adopt out to someone who already has a pig or pigs. Too bad you wouldnt be able to pick her up. if you change your mind let me know. I can have you answer some questions, etc. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.