Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! First time owner

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Aww! The April is super cute! I hope she settles in and the others are right, the tunnel can be dangerous because of the ingredients. I would suggest maybe just a little fleecy area where your guinea pig can snuggle but remember to clean the poop out or they are sitting in it. I hope she's all healthy! Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean fleecy area? I?ve seen pictures of corner huts with fleece over it. How would I make that or buy that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Does anyone use the Guinea Habitat Plus? I?m thinking about getting that but I?m not sure about the bottom of it? Is it solid or if it overhangs will my husband have to put a board down to support it? I think it?s by Midwest.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@AprilsMom, please don't put duplicate posts on the forum. Most people who read this site read all the new posts, and there's no need to post in two places.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=42133]AprilsMom[/MENTION], please don't put duplicate posts on the forum. Most people who read this site read all the new posts, and there's no need to post in two places.

Ok, I?m sorry. There is so much on here that I posted about something than I found a thread for it. I?m still trying to navigate my way around.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
I?ve been reading a lot about what food pellets to give April. I bought the Kaytee fiesta and I?m sorry I did. But after reading about the Oxbow pellets, I was curious if my local pet store carried it and they do!! Thankfully, I live close to the Drs Foster and Smith warehouse! So tomorrow I?m going and getting her a bag of good food. Since she?s only about 8 weeks old I?m going to get the pellets for young guinea pigs. That with the Timothy hay and different veggies with some fruit should be a good, healthy diet for her, right?

Today was the first day that I took her out of her cage. I would pet her and talk to her so she gets used to me but today I held her for about 20 minutes or so and she seemed to like it. She started warbling and I think I could have put her to slept just petting around her face! Then I put her in her playpen, which didn?t go over real good first time, so I could clean her cage up. I?m going to start handling her a little more each day!

CAVY LOVER222

Cavy Slave
April is soo cute! I know you'll love guinea pigs!

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
@bpatters can you make this April?s thread please? Thank you.

Kimicub

Cavy Slave
I?ve been reading a lot about what food pellets to give April. I bought the Kaytee fiesta and I?m sorry I did. But after reading about the Oxbow pellets, I was curious if my local pet store carried it and they do!! Thankfully, I live close to the Drs Foster and Smith warehouse! So tomorrow I?m going and getting her a bag of good food. Since she?s only about 8 weeks old I?m going to get the pellets for young guinea pigs. That with the Timothy hay and different veggies with some fruit should be a good, healthy diet for her, right?

Today was the first day that I took her out of her cage. I would pet her and talk to her so she gets used to me but today I held her for about 20 minutes or so and she seemed to like it. She started warbling and I think I could have put her to slept just petting around her face! Then I put her in her playpen, which didn?t go over real good first time, so I could clean her cage up. I?m going to start handling her a little more each day!

Put some fresh veggies in her playpen and some tunnels she'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Put some fresh veggies in her playpen and some tunnels she'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I did put some veggies in and I thought she was going to find them but she decided to hide instead. Lol

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the family, Kristina! You're pig is absolutely ADORABLE! She's is great, she is quickly getting used to her surroundings, it is amazing that she let you pet her a day after you got her! Mine still doesn't let me touch him too much and I've had him for over a month! And again, I LOVE you?re pig. I hope you guys have a great future together!​

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the family, Kristina! You're pig is absolutely ADORABLE! She's is great, she is quickly getting used to her surroundings, it is amazing that she let you pet her a day after you got her! Mine still doesn't let me touch him too much and I've had him for over a month! And again, I LOVE you?re pig. I hope you guys have a great future together!​

Aww...thank you and April thanks you (she?s blushing right now, lol)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't overdo the fruit. It's got too much sugar to be given often to guinea pigs.

Did you actually read the links I recommended to you? There's lots of good information about diet in there.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Don't overdo the fruit. It's got too much sugar to be given often to guinea pigs.

Did you actually read the links I recommended to you? There's lots of good information about diet in there.

Yes I read them! I said veggies and SOME fruit, in other words, some meaning once in a while. I?m sorry but why does it feel like your attacking me with everything I say?

Just so you know, I?m learning, I make mistakes but I?m not dumb and April is a happy, healthy little girl. She?s been running and popcorning off and on all day so I must be doing something right by her!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nobody's attacking you, but nobody can read your mind, either. We have no idea whether you know how much fruit can be given. "Some fruit" could mean half an apple a day, or a slice once a week. If you're a little more careful about saying what you mean, we'll know whether what you have planned benefits your pigs or hurts them.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Nobody's attacking you, but nobody can read your mind, either. We have no idea whether you know how much fruit can be given. "Some fruit" could mean half an apple a day, or a slice once a week. If you're a little more careful about saying what you mean, we'll know whether what you have planned benefits your pigs or hurts them.

Fine. But you also have to read what I write. When I said I didn?t think a plastic igloo was good for her I meant I wasn?t going to get one because I didn?t think it was good for her. You didn?t have to tell me not to get one. I already said that. Or maybe I do have to be more literal with my words so you understand them.

I haven?t had a problem with anyone else understanding what I mean.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Aww...thank you and April thanks you (she?s blushing right now, lol)

Aww! April, you are so sweet!!!! You are the sweetest guinea pig ever!

MrsDarling

Cavy Slave
Sooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookiesandcreme

Cavy Slave
April is adorable! Just a big fluff of cuteness.

Also, if you're able to, Amazon carries Oxbow online in case you can't purchase it at the petstore. Small Pet Select also sells through Amazon as well as Sherwood.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
April is adorable! Just a big fluff of cuteness.

Also, if you're able to, Amazon carries Oxbow online in case you can't purchase it at the petstore. Small Pet Select also sells through Amazon as well as Sherwood.

Thanks! April thanks you too! Lol

I was able to get the Oxbow pellets and I picked up a bag of the Oxbow western Timothy hay. April is doing great! Today she even ate some radicchio and red leaf lettuce while I had her out and on my lap. I think she?s starting to trust me.

I do have one question, if I?m standing up with her and I?m supporting her bottom and she?s tucked close to me, she seems to tremble when I pet her. Is this just nerves? She doesn?t make a sound it?s just a ?vibration? I feel. She doesn?t seem to do it when I?m sitting with her. Afraid of heights maybe?

thecuteness

Cavy Slave
She really is adorable :)
But I recognize that cage and ramp, and I know they were too small (which I know you've previously said you will upsize, and trust me I went through the week of regret not knowing better myself)
I know nothing about the health affects of that little hidy hole , but I was suggested when I purchased that cage that the ramp itself would give them the the special protection they need. The hidey hole decreases a lot of the actual floor space that they definitely needed all that floor space they could get. Their baby legs to had issues crawling up the ramp at first so I'd drape a little wash cloth or something towel over to give them extra coverage to hide behind as well as a more stable way to walk up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.