Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece getting rid of crusty stains?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That looks like it might have been nibbled a few times by pigs, as well.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
That looks like it might have been nibbled a few times by pigs, as well.

As I said, they don't nibble/chew/pick at/tug on the liners. That is purely destruction from bleach!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The liners also have areas of destruction on the flat part of the liners. I doubt that the boys could have managed to gain enough leverage to pick up the liner to chew on it. I simply didn't take a pic of the other areas. I wanted to prove my point with the part of the liners showing the most destruction.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's weird. My nieces first got pigs nine years ago, and I let them pick out their fleece. One picked white, which long ago got pitched out because it was so stained. The other has a soccer ball print on it, and has been washed in hot water, bleach, and strong detergent every time it's been used. It still looks just like it did the day I bought it.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It is odd, it really looks like the fleece liners have caught on something and torn. Usually with fabric that is chemically damaged the damage will look more like circular holes not big tears, also usually with chemical damage the fabric will feel different around the edges of the damage.

Is it possible it is not the bleach causing the damage, but rather the washing machine or clothes dryer itself?
This page has good list of possibilies to go down for washing machines causing holes https://www.superpages.com/em/clothes-come-washer-tangled-torn/
And this one has a good list of possibilities for clothes dryers causing holes https://www.partselect.com/Dryer+dryer-tears-clothes+repair.htm

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It is odd, it really looks like the fleece liners have caught on something and torn. Usually with fabric that is chemically damaged the damage will look more like circular holes not big tears, also usually with chemical damage the fabric will feel different around the edges of the damage.

Now THAT is an interesting consideration. I'll read through your links and perhaps reevaluate. My first instinct is to say that both washer and dryer are relatively new and "I doubt it". However, I have to consider that my white piggy towels are being destroyed as well. Is it because they too are generously bleached.........which likely is weakening the fabric?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In my experience, unless it's poured directly on fabric, bleach doesn't eat holes in it like that. It's a more general weakening of the whole structure of the fabric.

New doesn't mean anything with washers and dryers. A small manufacturing defect could leave a rough spot somewhere that the fabric is catching on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.