Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Two males and two females together?

Newberry

Cavy Gazer
I have a little girl and two new bonded boys. The boys fight and the girl acts crazy if they see each other. Currently I will be keeping the two boys intact until I can find a vet to neuter them. My plan is to neuter them then introduce them carefully to the girl. Keeping them in a pig pen style room just for them but divided until I get another girl or two. Why another girl? I keep seeing that two boys can be in the same pen or cage if they have enough room and more then one female.

I'd intro the female first and then the male to the new one after the neuter.

Advice???? Ya y or nay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't put multiple males with females, even if they're neutered. I don't know where you're seeing that you can have more than one male with females, but it isn't correct. I've known of only two cases where that has succeeded, and both times, it's been with a huge herd and free range guinea pigs.

Your best bet is to get another female to go with the sow you have, and keep two cages. You may have to put the cages in different rooms if the presence of the sows drives the boars crazy.

Newberry

Cavy Gazer
Not sure the site but it was a pet one where I saw it on a few posts on Google. I would probably just give them an enclosed area as large as a small room and divide it. The room I have for them that I am working on fits a ton of stuff I'm removing so I could just make a divide in the middle once I set them up there. I clean the cage on a regular basis so a room I could just treat like a bed (fleece) being clean vs a cage may be easier. Do you think this would work? Do piggies smell females in heat from far away? When I brought them in they were right next to her and didn't notice she was there for quite a while vs my cats when they met so I figured they would be OK if I had them inthe same room.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
A divider will not keep an in-tact male from a female in heat. A determined male has no problem climbing over dividers. You need separate cages with a locked lid on the female cage

Newberry

Cavy Gazer
Thanks!! I thought they could not climb... Now I know. I don't want him hurting himself or her if the big one decides to do that so I'll be looking for something to cover the pen with.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
You can't put multiple males with females, even if they're neutered. I don't know where you're seeing that you can have more than one male with females, but it isn't correct. I've known of only two cases where that has succeeded, and both times, it's been with a huge herd and free range guinea pigs.

Your best bet is to get another female to go with the sow you have, and keep two cages. You may have to put the cages in different rooms if the presence of the sows drives the boars crazy.

Yeah, that's right, the males will fight over the females. If you want a happy guinea pig family, that won't work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.