Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rest in Peace Chester <3

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I lost my abbysinian piggy a couple weeks ago. I saw him throwing up one day and the next night, he was gone. I never knew what the feeling of emptiness was until he passed away. He was the most friendly pig I've ever met. I cried all night. I couldn't figure out why God let him die...then I realized. I wasn't trusting Him, and God had to get my attention. But I couldn't stop asking Him, "Why Chester?". Now I am trying to trust Him, and when I read Ecclisiates 3:19-21, I knew I would see my Chester again. Love you boy, never lose hope, I'll see you one day...:love: Rest in Peace Chester <3Rest in Peace Chester <3Rest in Peace Chester <3

I'm so sorry you lost him.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Guinea pigs don't throw up. I wonder if he might have choked on something and was trying to cough it up. If food seemed to be coming out of his mouth, he might have had tooth issues and couldn't chew properly.

I'm sorry you lost him. Ditto @pinky -- guinea pigs don't throw up. But a vet might have been able to help him.

No, he wasn't choking, it was clear and he seemed just sick....I couldn't pay for a vet, I barely can pay for my pets anyway. Even if I had taken him to a vet, they wouldn't have been able to help. At least I got to say goodbye and let him pass in my arms...

UPDATE: I still miss him, and I keep having dreams about him. I believe he is actually there in my dreams to visit me...last night I had a dream that he was there, and Coco was playing with him. I got to hold him and he ran up to me. He was my best friend, I will never stop missing him. I can't wait till the day when I can see him again! Sometimes I go to his grave and talk to him. I give him dandelion leaves and lay roses by him. I planted carrots, which were his favorite treat, near him, and some fresh grass above his grave. I bring Coco to visit him sometimes. I know that she too misses him, and I think she actually understands that he is really gone...I think my parents are beginning to understand that Coco is lonely...if I ever do have another guinea pig, it won't replace Chester, it will be a friend of his.

Rest peacefully, Chester. I am so sorry you lost him.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( losing your pet is like losing a family member.

I would highly recommend saving up money for if something happens to your pets again. It really helped me in the past! Unfortunately guinea pigs need an exotic vet not a normal small animal cat & dog vet because they aren't trained to treat guinea pigs, but they're more expensive. If you can try to save up about $1.5k and look into exotic vets near you. A vet might have been able to help but you have to respond quickly because pigs go downhill fast.

I hope you can get Coco a same-sex or neutered friend because guinea pigs get depressed when alone and aren't as happy or healthy that way but you need to make sure you can afford medical care for them both.

Do you have any idea what might have made Chester sick? Did he have access to anything that could've been poisonous? Like a plant in your garden or is the grass treated with something? Are there seeds in their pellets? What kind of veggies did you feed them before the symptoms? Did he have other symptoms? I would just double check everything in case it could cause the same thing to happen to Coco. I've never heard of a guinea pig 'throwing up' so it seems extremely unusual and I'd check to make sure their environment/food is safe.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for what happened. If there's anything we can do at all let us know. We're here for you.

I'm sorry but I haven't checked this tread for a while. I actually think he was choking. Clear fluid was coming from his mouth, but I can't think of anything else it could have been. Now I have three pigs: Coco, Marilyn, and Essy. Marilyn and Essy are 5-7 years old, and Marilyn has bladder stones problems, and a bacterial infection around her bottom, so I am trying to but antibacterial cream on her bottom, and I am going to schedule an exotic vet visit to Avian & Exotic Medical Center soon. Essy's bottom is losing hair, so I might schedule a visit too if it continues to get worse. I have a 2x5 C&C cage now with a hay loft. Marilyn and Essy also have lice, which I am also treating. Coco still has mites(hair loss on her back but no lice). I feel bad that all my pigs are sick or have parasites, but I am doing everything I can to help them. Thank you @Fay for the encouragement.
~PiggieLove13, Coco, Marilyn, and Essy <3

Clear fluid coming from the mouth is a sign that the lungs are filled with fluid, either from a severe respiratory infection, a tumor, or congestive heart failure.

I'm sorry you lost him. But you need to set aside a vet fund for your animals. Part of responsible pet ownership is providing medical care. Food and bedding aren't enough.

I guess it was a respiratory infection, because he had been sneezing ever since I got him, but I thought he was just allergic to something. I wished I had paid more attention, though they are very good at hiding sickness...I've been trying to sell some pictures(I love photography) but every website takes too long to even sign up. I petsit, but not that often. My parents think I should to house-cleaning to earn more money, since I also have three fish tanks. LOL
~PiggieLove13 , Coco, Marilyn, and Essy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.