Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Guilt about having one piggie :(

iMayfair

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I love reading posts on this forum, it's my number one place to get infos about piggies. So, all over this forum, people keep saying "get a friend for your piggie" when you happen to only have one. The thing is, I don't live on my own so it's not my decision unfortunately. I cannot have a second piggie but Chewie seems so happy nonetheless. He shows all the signs of happiness. So I'm sure he's doing fine but you guys make me feel guilty LOL. Maybe in a few months I can convince my parents (let's be clear I'm an adult so there isn't the issue of whether I am responsible or not :)). I spend all of my free time with Chewie but I work 7 hours a day. Will he be ok in the long run? Because so far he's doing great but I sometimes feel guilty anyway! Thanks for any advice!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ya know, I had that same train of thought before I brought home my second piggy. I looked at Shammy and thought, "He seems pretty content by himself. He doesn't seem lonely." But I'll tell ya, as soon as I introduced him to Peppy, he made noises that I'd never heard him make before. The two were inseparable and hit it off right away.

BestBuds.jpg
Here they are, two buddies (Peppy on the left, Shammy on the right). Both have since passed but I'll never forget how much they seemed to enjoy hanging out together.

Please don't feel guilty that you aren't able to bring home a second pig just yet. It's not your fault that it's not solely up to you. One day, you will be the one to make that decision but until then, just give your pig extra cuddles and attention. He will be okay for now.

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
Agreed Princess was happy when i first got her to live by herself for a couple of weeks.
But once I found Petunia and introduced them they've both been going nuts playing together.
As well as sleeping in the same Pigloo.....
Like CavyMama said about her's, They are joined at the hip. :crazy:

iMayfair

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the comforting reply @CavyMama. Your piggies were adorable. Your message made me feel so much better :) If it was up to me, I would have gotten Chewie a friend already. Don't worry about spending time with him. Like I said, all my spare time goes to spending time with him and taking care of him. I rarely watch TV anymore (and I'm a movie collector so that's saying a lot LOL), all I do is spend time with him. I had to struggle for weeks to get him but now my parents are in love with him (especially my mother, one time I caught her saying "I didn't want him home in the first place but now I wouldn't want it any other way"). Anyway, all I can do at the moment is do everything I can to make him happy! Again, @CavyMama, thanks a lot for responding :)

jayval

Cavy Slave
I feel like that too...But I am a new piggie owner, and I just dont have the space for a second, another would mean a lot more Carefree bedding and expenses...AS it is, this pig is costly us a lot, in veggies alone..LOL...I dont like the fleece....So far my piggie seems extremely happy...He prances around, makes the cute squealing noises, and purrs..I do stay at home with home though..He seems more quiet during the day, but goes nuts at night...

iMayfair

Cavy Slave
@jayval Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling that way :) Chewie costs me a lot too but that is totally my fault because I go crazy in pet stores LOL I haven't tried fleece yet, I bought puppy pads, I still need to get fleece. Chewie is crazier in the evening too!!

jayval

Cavy Slave
Imayfair, I use the Carefresh bedding Ultra..Love it..So cozy...so easy to clean....
Not sure if you get that there...I spot clean it every day, and then o totl cleaning replcing all of it every week

iMayfair

Cavy Slave
@jayval I use a french brand for bedding, hay and pellets. It's 100% natural, no dust. The brand is Hami Form, the people who make those products have a guinea pig farm and they don't add anything. My piggie loves their products! I used Carefresh in his litter at first but stopped for now.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Hi @iMayfair! Welcome to the forum!

Have you had a serious conversation with both your parents about adopting a second guinea pig? Explaining all the reasons and the importance? Perhaps you need to try talking to them again. Guinea pigs are social animals, but if it's entirely impossible for you to adopt a second guinea pig, Chewie will probably be alright.

iMayfair

Cavy Slave
@sdpiggylvr I have quickly mentioned getting a "brother" for Chewie but they really don't want to (which I can understand). I had to seriously explain my reasons for wanting to get a guinea pig so they would agree - took me 3 weeks LOL - (I am an adult but I still live with them so out of respect I would never get a pet without their consent). When I have a place of my own, I will get another piggie but for a lot of reasons out of our control, I can't move out at the moment - the situation will probably stay the same for a year or two -. I'm afraid, as of now, it is impossible to get a second guinea pig. Chewie seems really happy so that's a comforting fact. Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I think it's more important that you are caring for your pet in the best way possible. Sure, in an ideal world you may get another someday but for now if you have in a good size cage and feeding him well and socializing with him every day then you are doing your best and I wouldn't stress about it ;)

iMayfair

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot @RubyRain, your message really comforted me. Chewie has a 2x4 c&c cage all to himself (I'll post pictures of my cage in the Photos section tonight). He gets plenty of floor time and lap time, he has fresh veggies every evening, unlimited hay, pellets, toys and more importantly my love :) Thanks again for your reply @RubyRain, it helps a lot :)

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
yeah i feel i should find a friend for cocoa but at the moment having a dificult time trying to find a adoptable female. When she is the cage she doesnt make any sounds but when i pick her up squeking and making all kinds of sounds.
costs to much to nueter a male so im looking for a female

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi @iMayfair ,

welcome to the forum, I am glad you posted this thread. I too have a single pig, and have spent very many days replacing the utter love and joy I have with him, by feeling guilty from what I've read on the forum about the wonderful bonds that form between piggies. I think the forum has made me realise just how much they benefit from others of their own kind, while at the same time informing that some pigs do not ever bond, even when several piggies are tried as friends. In my case I foster a single pig for a friend who left the country, she finances him as we can't manage right now with our situation, and 4 other animal children (2 horses, 1 cat and 1 dog). As soon as the circumstances evolve we will have other choices open to us and then we can choose what we'd prefer to do, and have more than one piggie. Until then we have the choice of how we feel about what is.

Over the months I've realised that feeling guilty for doing the best that you can is not right. Looking at your piggie while feeling guilt is also not fair on the piggie, because they pick up our emotions and respond to them. Our emotions effect our piggies behaviour. To look at piggie and feel just love and adoration, lets piggie feel that warmth of caring. While one species can never measure up to another we can develop an extra ordinary bond, which you seem to be doing also by the way your piggie has you choose to spend what time you do have in his company. I am like that with Maximus von Lichtenwalder. I would love for him to have forever company of his own kind, until then I'll just love every moment I'm given of being his company.❤️

Last edited:

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
I feel you... RIP my other piggie, still getting over it.

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I've had a single pig, Rosie. She was an amazing piggie. Finally I got a male, but she didn't get to lie with him, she got to see him, and they'd communicate though. Honeslty, I think if you're doing what you can (And I'm sure you are) then don't feel bad. As an adult caring for two parents, and not 'on my own' it's hard. I totally understand. By boys were a present from my mother, my father was against it, but she looked at him and said, "For all she does, giving her the one thing she wants isn't that much to ask." I was shocked. Of course my mother wanted them too lol.
Anyways, my long winded point is, just keep doing what you're doing. It's not your fault, I totally get it, and if you never need an ear, just message me. I don't know your situation, but I can relate to parts I'm sure. Chewie is very lucky, and as for TV, he's probably enjoy it! Mine do lol. Well George at least, he just sets here and watches tv with me lol.

MissNikki930

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I took a look through this thread. My husband and I recently adopted a little guy. My husband has already become so attached that he does not want another. Now, I'm thinking we need another. However, I am worried that he will fight another male, and I do not want to breed. How exactly do you introduce two males? I do not know how old our guy is, but I know he is on the younger side.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you have a reputable rescue in your area, take your little one there and see if they can find a good match for him. They easiest way to find a buddy is to let them pick who they want.

QUOTE=MissNikki930;576187]I'm glad I took a look through this thread. My husband and I recently adopted a little guy. My husband has already become so attached that he does not want another. Now, I'm thinking we need another. However, I am worried that he will fight another male, and I do not want to breed. How exactly do you introduce two males? I do not know how old our guy is, but I know he is on the younger side.[/QUOTE]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.