Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Boar Anatomy

arod18007

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So I am the new owner of a boar - my first one (no worries, he is separated from the girls in a different room). My fiancé and I are calling local vets to get him neutered as we want him and Blossom to be a pair. However, I am unfamiliar with boar anatomy and after examining him all over last night (finding lice unfortunately) I think his genitalia might be...not good? I'm not sure. It doesn't necessarily look like what I've seen on guinealynx and other sites. I was wondering if I could post a pic on this thread to see what others think. We can't get him in with our vet until after the holidays (she's booked out til next Monday) so I figured I'd come here. I'm not overly worried because he has been urinating with no pain or anything like that. I just know nothing about boar genitalia.

Also, he is a texel I think so I am having a hard time finding that little patch thing on his lower back. Anyone else have a male texel that can give me grooming advice?

I'm currently at work so I wouldn't be able to post a photo until I get back home, if anyone did want to try viewing a photo and helping out that way. I would describe it, but I don't think I can.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sure, you can post a photo. There are a jillion pictures of guinea pig privates on this forum! You can also take a look at www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for more pictures.

Don't worry if you can't find the grease gland. If/when it gets gunky, you'll know where it is.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
What are you talking about with "that little patch thing"? I can help with grooming.......I have a pure breed Texel......female, but grooming isn't gender specific.

The grease gland.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Here are the pics. First is him cause he's so sweet. Second is when I push gently on his abdomen, it looks normal to me like that. The second one is harder to tell but that's without me pushing anything. That's just me moving the hair out of the way. Is it normal to look like that? With the hair growing out on top? I hope you can tell by the pic. It was hard to take the photo, he was moving about so much!
Boar AnatomyBoar AnatomyBoar Anatomy

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Also...I went to clean his cage today and there was a white blotch on the fleece. Is that...boar glue?

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
he does look different than my guinea pigs boy parts.... it might be normal, but id get it checked just in case there could be something wrong

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
Also...I went to clean his cage today and there was a white blotch on the fleece. Is that...boar glue?

Could be calcium deposits (which my piggies have despite my best efforts) or boar glue. I haven't found any glue on my fleeces so I don't know what it would look like, but I did find a glob once in my female's cage when they sort of got along. It reminded me a lot of dried up rubber cement. Same color (maybe cloudier) but squishy with a hard center.

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
Ugh mine gets boar glue allele over the fleece luckily thats the only place though!! It looks like white patches that are dried up or if its fresh its yucky to touch I guess I'm not that good at explaining it but if I find some tomorrow ill post a pic if you like

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
Calcium deposits and boar glue are significantly different, so most likely yes. (Good luck getting it out, it's not called "Boar glue" for nothing).

You're going to want to trim the fur around his genitals regularly to prevent infections and urine scald.
His genitalia looks normal to me.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's def. not calcium deposits, as I've seen those before with my females. So, likely boar glue...ew lol. Well, the perks of having a boy I guess! I'll be taking him to the vet anyway so they'll have a look and see if he's normal. I do plan to get him neutered but he's not old enough. But he's having no trouble urinating, or anything so that's good. Thanks all. If anyone else wants to add in, that'd be great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.