Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Question on Reglan dosage

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
I just came home with Reglan for my guinea pigs and she prescribed .4 mL every 12 hours. The concentration is 5mg/5mL. Does this sound right? I've looked all over the internet including guinea lynx. .2 to 1 mg/kg of body weight, but I don't believe that applies to the concentration the vet gave me.

Would Reglan cause diahrrea?

Please help.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
I gave it to both Kohaku and Moo yesterday afternoon and they both seemed to respond to it. Started eating their pellets and hay. Last night was when I noticed some poo streaks on their blankets. So I gave each of them acidophilus and Ko responded to that, but didn't touch her pellets. Moo didn't poo at all. This morning I gave them more reglan because there were no poop at all. Ko started pooping, not squishy, but Moo's poop is very squishy. I know now to stop with the reglan as I'm sure it must be causing the diarrhea in Moo. (They have been off of baytril since last Wednesday and haven't been the same since.) I did the CC, acidophilus, benebac(not at the same time) and their poops were very tiny and didn't really eat any of their pellets and would casually munch on their hay. I don't know what else to do....

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
Just checked on Moo and right now her stools have hardened up and taken shape. They aren't what they're supposed to be, but better than the squishy poops I found earlier. It seems to come and go with her. Ko's poop is more rounded instead of tic-tac shaped. Still, any advice?

Last edited:

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Bumping this up

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Bumping means getting the thread on the main page again. :) Basically, it's so more people see it.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
Bumping means getting the thread on the main page again. :) Basically, it's so more people see it.

I thank you very much! Between this site and Guinea Lynx I think I have it covered.

Lynx suggested going with the lower end dose of .2 as the concentration is 1mg/1mL I'll be giving them their next dose soon. I fed them critical care and acidophilus this afternoon and wasn't until a few hours ago did they become more active ie: eating/drinking and their poop is looking better. I do hope they are on the road to recovery.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That sounds like progress, I hope they get better fast!

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
They are on the mend now!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.