Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance I'm not sure I should leave them together

equinox96

Cavy Slave
Hi, I need any help and advice you can give me. I have a little female that I'm fostering from this rescue I help out from time to time. They deal more in cats and dogs so they bring me the piggies.

This little piggie was said to be 6-8 months old but I think she is much older, she has thick yellow nails. They've also been told that she's always been alone and didn't get along with other GPs.

I took her in and kept her in her little cage until she got used to us. She is in my office downstairs and my herd of 4 is upstairs. I thought I would give her a friend until she got adopted hopefully to someone who already has one. This weekend I built a brand new 2x4 then added my foster and a 8 month old baby from my herd who is very laid back and at the bottom of the totem pole.

Well it's not working out as I had hoped and now I'm thinking of separating them but I need your expertise and advice.

The foster is super dominant and super territorial towards my baby. At first she lunged at her, showed her teeth, she huffed and yawned a lot and wouldn't let her go anywhere. Now 3 days later and my baby is almost forced to stay in a corner, sleeping most of the time because the foster still won't let her roam around. My baby is super calm and submissive about the whole thing with a lot of whimpering and gurgling. It's just that she seems to be loosing all quality of life. As for the foster, she's popcorning all over the place when she's not peeing on baby's cushion or lunging at her or mounting her or rumblestrutting all over the place. When the foster finally quiets down, she'll go lie right next to baby.

Should I leave them together, there's been no blood? Will it get better or will my baby just suffer or get depresse? Is the foster just learning how to dominate even more and it will make it harder for her to find a partner?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd leave the foster by herself and reintroduce the baby to the normal herd. Sounds like the baby isn't enjoying this at all.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
thanks @bpatters , the baby is back with Mom, neutered Dad and Old Auntie and all is great.

Now for the foster, I would very much like to get her adopted as a duo, in your opinion, is this still possible? What should I like for? Or is it too late for her and she's destined for a solo life? Now that she's all alone, she's hunched in a corner... :(

She is a great little girl, super smart, loves to be pet in her cage and in our arms. Doesn't struggle too much when we go to pick her up. She gives lots of kisses and is very curious and adventurous.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you take her to a rescue and see if she'll pick out her own buddy?

I've got one that doesn't like to live alone but can't live with another pig. She just annoys the hell out of any pig she's with. I've tried her with two different ones, and they've both lost so much I had to separate them again. She did pretty well with just a divider down the middle of the cage. But my other pig died, and now she's really a solo pig.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
thanks again @bpatters for all your help.

We don't have guinea pig rescues around here unfortunately. That's why this rescue contacts me when they get one, which is not very often. I really would like to affiliate myself with them and open up a GP specific rescue. So this little girl is kind of on a trial basis.

I will be doing all the interviews and answer questions from potential families and choosing where she will go. If it works out and we are happy about the results then we will go ahead and advertise as a rescue for Guinea Pigs.

I could find a GP on Kijiji which is sort of like Craigslist but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I've done a bunch of introductions and helped a lot of people with theirs, even helping them go back a few steps and trying over and having a successful pairing. But this little girl has really got me stumped.

She's not happy to be alone either, now that she knows what it was like bossing someone around because ever since I've removed my baby, she's been "pouting" (for lack of a better word) in her fleece tunnel all hunched up and not lying with her foot out like she normally does.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It's a hard situation. Is there a possibility you could move her so she shares a divided wall with your pigs? That way she still has some interaction, but it's safe for everyone.

I also have a very cranky and bossy sow who I can't pair with anyone. She's drawn blood on 3 separate occassion, all with different girls. I finally decided it wasn't worth putting everyone and myself through the carnage. She happily shares a cage wall with my other girls now.

As far as getting another one, you could, but would need to be prepared for any possible outcome. There's a chance that she would be too bossy over another pig and then you're left with another solo new one that you or the rescue would need to find something to do with. If you do check out kijiji, I would think a baby female would have the best chance of working out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.