Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Timothy Hay vs Oat Hay vs Orchard Grass

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I'd like to know people opinions on what they feed their pigs for hay. I have been looking at Timothy hay, oat hay and orchard grass. I have allergies to Timothy hay and was also wondering if anyone found the other hays less reactive towards their allergies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any long strand grass hay is acceptable. The most common kinds are timothy, bluegrass, meadow grass, orchard grass, and brome. Timothy tends to be the most allergy producing. Several people I know of who are allergic to timothy hay do OK with bluegrass or orchard grass.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Wondering, have you had allergy testing done to confirm what you are allergic to? I was recently in the same dilemma. I had testing and it turns out I am only mildly allergic to Timothy, moderately allergic to Orchard and bluegrass, and strongly allergic to some molds that grow in hay that is harvested too soon. So I was trying different hays, but couldn't figure out what was causing my issues. I honestly would have never figured out that it was the mold. So I am on a quest to find timothy hay that has been harvested and baled at the correct moisture level and hopefully that will resolve my issues. So just consider that you may also have a mold allergy instead of/in addition to a pollen allergy.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I have. I'm mostly allergic to bluegrass

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wondering, have you had allergy testing done to confirm what you are allergic to? I was recently in the same dilemma. I had testing and it turns out I am only mildly allergic to Timothy, moderately allergic to Orchard and bluegrass, and strongly allergic to some molds that grow in hay that is harvested too soon. So I was trying different hays, but couldn't figure out what was causing my issues. I honestly would have never figured out that it was the mold. So I am on a quest to find timothy hay that has been harvested and baled at the correct moisture level and hopefully that will resolve my issues. So just consider that you may also have a mold allergy instead of/in addition to a pollen allergy.

I'm curious how they tested for the different molds. Did they actually give you a list of molds by name? I've been tested and was told that I'm most allergic to mold but they never told me what type.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Yes @pinky I did get a list with all the scientific names. For example, I am allergic to Cladosporium, Penicillium(common in hay), Helminthosporium, Alternariam, and Aspergillus (common in hay). So i went home and Googled each one to see if it's in hay. I had the test where they have 4 grids of 8 pokey things and each tip is rubbed with the allergen and they poke your forearm with it. It had a bunch of different specific pollens and animals too. So I got tested for 31 specific things (the 32nd poke is a control anti-histamine).

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@CavyChrissy those poke allergy tests seem like torture if you're allergic to anything, and I'm allergic to everything (except guinea pigs). But it's totally worth it for getting the types of allergens that trigger you narrowed down.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Both me and my piggies have problems with the dust on timothy hay. The size, brand name and quality of the grass didn't matter. The storage method didn't matter. It gave me red, watery, swollen eyes and aggravated my eczema. Now I buy Oxbow orchard hay and all my symptoms have disappeared. One guinea pig had crusty eyes but they have completely cleared up. I know this is anecdotal evidence but my girls love orchard hay, so everyone wins.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
@CavyChrissy those poke allergy tests seem like torture if you're allergic to anything, and I'm allergic to everything (except guinea pigs). But it's totally worth it for getting the types of allergens that trigger you narrowed down.

Agreed! I was pretty itchy for a while. I was allergic to about 23 of the 31 things. But you're right, it was worth to help me figure out what was causing my newer symptons.

Dracneya

Cavy Slave
I suggest Bermuda hay. I had an allergy to Timothy and wasted a lot of money trying Orchard grass, Meadow grass, and Botanical. Bermuda is the only one I've found besides alfalfa that I have no problem with. Since alfalfa isn't good for adult piggies, I am sticking to Bermuda :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Because Bermuda hay is a warm-season grass, hence more bugs, it's often grown with a lot of pesticides. I'd try to find a northern timothy instead. There are some good hays available online -- Small Pet Select, KMS Hayloft, Sweet Meadow Farms, American Pet Diner. I think you can also get bulk Oxbow by special order.

Lorna08

Cavy Slave
Hi! in the past I fed Timothy Hay but then I developped allergies and now I have been feeding them Orchard hay for about 6 months. I haven't tried any others yet. I used to buy whatever brand at the pet store then I tried Oxbow and now I order from Small Pet Select.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
All hay makes me sneeze when I mess with it, no matter what type. I think it's mostly the dust. I'm also allergic to mold, so it's interesting to hear that can be a factor with hay allergies. I use Timothy hay most of the time, but if I run out I usually grab a bag of orchard grass hay and my girls like it almost as much. Actually, Zelda loves lying on it more than eating it! I also tried bluegrass one time, but it was kind of a disaster. They would pull it all down looking for something better and then avoid the hay pile they created. The lesson here is: Don't buy a 9 pound box of a new type of hay before you know if your pigs will eat it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.