Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Candles/incense in a different room?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
We live in an apartment that is about 100sq feet. The piggies are in the living room. They are on the far side of the living room, across from the bedrooms. We use one of the rooms as an office and my fiance wants to start using incense in there when he is working. Is this safe? I know burning something in the same room as the pigs isn't a great idea but if it's in the other room and the door to that room is closed would it be okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not safe for the pigs OR for him. (broken link removed)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I'll tell him not to do it until we move and he is on a separate floor from the pigs then. But as for as it not being healthy for him I don't buy it. Burning incense once a week in a well ventilated room is very unlikely to do him any real harm. We can get cancer a million different ways and worry about every single thing that could MAYBE give us cancer is silly.

As far as the pig side goes thank you for the information!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
That link just goes to the google search page...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CritterSlave, and the second step on that page says "Press the Search Button."

LyssaAnnette

Cavy Slave
The original subject said candles/ incense and only incense were suggested as unsafe. I'm wondering if candles and wax warmers are unsafe as well. We stopped using air fresheners like Febreeze way before we adopted a piggy but we have two dogs and a piggy now in our 3 bedroom apt and sometimes we need some candle scent going :/ we have some candles from Bath and Body Works that we use but we only ever burn one at a time in the living room. The guinea cage is in the living room right beside our couch. We don't notice/mind usually but when company comes over we will burn a candle in our kitchen or use a wax warmer. Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Almost anything that gets burned can be carcinogenic -- the higher the temperature, the worse it is. As just one example, grilled steaks can be carcinogenic if you eat enough of them.

Some people get around that by putting a few drops of essential oil in a pot of boiling water. The smell isn't as intense, but it's a much safer way to use them.

As always, it's your choice. But lungs are fragile, and while some of the aroma-producing companies aren't completely honest about their products. For me, I'd rather inhale things like the smell of baking bread, or something edible that's roasting in the oven rather than risking any damage from inhaling burning chemicals.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Also don't forget about the number of house fires started every year by candles and incense. If anyone does decide to use them remember to have it on a stable surface so it can't fall over and never leave it unattended while lit.

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave
I don't know about all that, but I do know instead of doing something like burning stuff with wax you can turn the stove on and put a pan with warm water and something like cinnamon sticks or other spices in it and it smells delicious and the smell spreads through the house if you have open doors

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.