Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pigless but getting close...just 2 questions.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
European vets do neuter at a younger age than is common in the US. I doubt you'd find a vet here that would neuter a three or four week old male.

Houndkeeper

Cavy Slave
@Houndkeeper , there are several excellent cavy rescues in your area -- please don't buy pigs from Petsmart. Go over to Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Shelters, Veterinarians - Guinea Pig Zone and search for adoptable pigs. Contact the rescues close to you even if they don't have any pigs posted -- most rescuers are very busy and often don't have time to keep websites current.

Pigs of either sex can be separated from their mothers at three weeks of age.

No worries bpatters!!! I am not......I have an old high school friend that brought home 2 females in December both of whom were unknowingly pregnant. I am adopting 2 of those.:) I volunteer for basset hound rescue, I am alllllll about rescue adoptions. :cheerful:

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
I can only speak from own experience, I had two boys that were separated from their mother at three weeks. They were wonderful boys. I unfortunately lost one due to a URI. When that happened I looked into getting the other neutered so that I could put him in with the girls. The vet wouldn't do it until he was more than 600 grams. Which he's still not at 6 months old. So I got him a friend instead. I adopted another boy piggy who was quite young and had been housed with his "father" from 3 weeks on. He's definitely the more wild of the two, which I don't consider helpful. Seems like all his dad taught him was how to freak out! I don't think it's necessary to keep them with an adult and I certainly don't think that it will hurt anything to get them 3 weeks. Good luck @Houndkeeper

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
European vets do neuter at a younger age than is common in the US. I doubt you'd find a vet here that would neuter a three or four week old male.

I live in the UK and most vets i know of will not neuter until a pig reaches and weighs in at a good adult size

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I find this discussion most interesting because all three countries involved are outside of the US. I know most of us here in the USA have the same common beliefs but other countries may have different views on proper animal care. Anyway, I had nothing of great importance to add to this, just that I find the extreme varying difference in other countries "proper" care intriguing since we usually only see the US/Canada view points vs another country.

No aggresion intended (as it may sound that way) but whats diffferent about my view to somebody in the US?

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
No aggresion intended (as it may sound that way) but whats diffferent about my view to somebody in the US?
No aggression was perceived, not by me anyways :) Just found it an interesting discussion to have other cultures chime in and how things widely vary as acceptable, since we usually preach the "US/Canda" way is "best", which of course has been backed up by years of research and presented to us in a logical and thoughtful way which is why we choose to base our viewpoints on what is taught on this forum. I only refer it to it as "US way" just because the mass majority as well as the founders of the site (to my knowledge) all are from the US/Canada, only reason really.

Actually your viewpoints and those of many of us in the US are the same from what I have seen :) But like I mentioned, different cultures have different standards and widely varying (sp?) ideas of what proper care is. As we've seen a few times, many in Australia (not all of course) think it's okay to house outside and I've seen much more from European countries who also agree to allowing their piggies to be outdoors as a proper environment. I know the actual rules for this site state what we believe in and trying to convince us otherwise is not going to be warmly welcomed, but for issues that may be more grey rather then black and white, I find it interesting and see nothing wrong with trying to understand others viewpoints and maybe learning something new along the way.

It could of course just be my Flu meds talking and me being stuck in bed all day however lol!

ETA: Hope this makes sense...I hate being sick :(

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
No aggression was perceived, not by me anyways :) Just found it an interesting discussion to have other cultures chime in and how things widely vary as acceptable, since we usually preach the "US/Canda" way is "best", which of course has been backed up by years of research and presented to us in a logical and thoughtful way which is why we choose to base our viewpoints on what is taught on this forum. I only refer it to it as "US way" just because the mass majority as well as the founders of the site (to my knowledge) all are from the US/Canada, only reason really.

Actually your viewpoints and those of many of us in the US are the same from what I have seen :) But like I mentioned, different cultures have different standards and widely varying (sp?) ideas of what proper care is. As we've seen a few times, many in Australia (not all of course) think it's okay to house outside and I've seen much more from European countries who also agree to allowing their piggies to be outdoors as a proper environment. I know the actual rules for this site state what we believe in and trying to convince us otherwise is not going to be warmly welcomed, but for issues that may be more grey rather then black and white, I find it interesting and see nothing wrong with trying to understand others viewpoints and maybe learning something new along the way.

It could of course just be my Flu meds talking and me being stuck in bed all day however lol!

ETA: Hope this makes sense...I hate being sick :(

Ahh I see :) Yeah, you're right I suppose. Especially about pigs living outside. Unfortunately people here think that's an okay thing to do....of course, you get the piggy fanatics that preach that pigs shouldn't live outside, like myself, but it's widely considered 'okay' for them to live outside. I do think people's views are slowly changing though, for example C&C cages were never heard of here a couple of years ago. Now people are still pretty confused by them and think the rubbish hutches pet stores sell are big enough, but not as many are baffled by the 'c&c movement'. I think ideas from the US are creeping over, slowly.

Thankfully I learnt all my piggy knowledge here before getting mine, which is probably why my views are the way they are. The again, a lot of UK pig lovers are the same, it's just whether or not people do the research and take it seriously.

PS: Hope you feel better soon!! :( I have a feeling this post didn't make sense either but that's cos I'm eating lunch at the same time....food :love:

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Ahh I see :) Yeah, you're right I suppose. Especially about pigs living outside. Unfortunately people here think that's an okay thing to do....of course, you get the piggy fanatics that preach that pigs shouldn't live outside, like myself, but it's widely considered 'okay' for them to live outside. I do think people's views are slowly changing though, for example C&C cages were never heard of here a couple of years ago. Now people are still pretty confused by them and think the rubbish hutches pet stores sell are big enough, but not as many are baffled by the 'c&c movement'. I think ideas from the US are creeping over, slowly.

Thankfully I learnt all my piggy knowledge here before getting mine, which is probably why my views are the way they are. The again, a lot of UK pig lovers are the same, it's just whether or not people do the research and take it seriously.

PS: Hope you feel better soon!! :( I have a feeling this post didn't make sense either but that's cos I'm eating lunch at the same time....food :love:

Lol, thanks.

As you said, our viewpoints are just that, they are viewpoints. You do your research, take advice from others and form your own conclusions as to what you want to believe (ideally anyway). I happen to fully believe in what this site represents, some don't, which of course leads to it's own set of drama.

The topics that I find interesting are all these issues that aren't so clear cut, like spaying/neutering at a younger age in Europe then here. If it's safe there, why not here? Rhetorical question btw everybody, I know how I feel about it. And even things like the carrot tops discussion, to seeing some really awesome C&C alternative cages some overseas members have made. Or one I brought up awhile ago, if your aren't continuing to keep piggies, what do you do with your single older one? Again, rhetorical, please nobody answer as I've hijacked this thread enough.

Anyway, @Houndkeeper , I apologize for derailing your thread and will bring it back to topic.

I would recommend, when the babies are born spending time with each of them and seeing which ones you seem to bond with. I think we all have encountered pigs that have stolen our hearts at first site and you may just find the pair that steals yours, whether they be male or female. :love:

Houndkeeper

Cavy Slave
Lol, thanks.

Anyway, @Houndkeeper , I apologize for derailing your thread and will bring it back to topic.

I would recommend, when the babies are born spending time with each of them and seeing which ones you seem to bond with. I think we all have encountered pigs that have stolen our hearts at first site and you may just find the pair that steals yours, whether they be male or female. :love:

No worries!!! I am reading up and learning more each day. Thank you!!

clcurnock1901

Cavy Slave
We have 3 girls and two boys ! The girls are more cuddly and the boys are crazy won't sit still lol

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
For me personally, I'd say I got lucky in getting a female for the sole reason that I can't imagine having to deal with the anal sack cleanings and goo and such. I admire those who get males for that reason. Otherwise every pig is individual so one can't say if a female is cuddlier or a male. I have a female who after over a year of forced taking out of the cage for cuddle times, still doesn't care for it but will settle in for maybe 1/2 hour or more if she's sleepy all the while mostly chattering or nipping on my shirt her dislike. Such is life but I accept that's all I got and love her to death anyway.

Spend a decent amount of time with the pigs, see which one you connect with.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Personally for me, my boys where much cuddlier than my girls, but gender doesn't have a lot to do with their personalities. Like @Artista says, girls are easier than boys in a few respects such as boar glue, anal sac cleanings, and they don't require quite as a big a cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.