Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips How much bedding would I need?

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!!

So I currently have a 4 by 7 cage for my six girls. I?m using fleece and u haul pads for my bedding but I?m getting very frustrated with fur, hay, etc gets stuck on the fleece plus my girls love to burrow and it gets messy. Anyways after reading about alternatives I want to try out using horse stall pellets as the bedding but my question is how many pounds/bags would I need? I have six girls and a pretty big cage and they have their preferred corners to do their business. I just don?t know exactly how much to buy or how often I would need to do a complete bedding change?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll need 3-4 bags of pellets to get good coverage. Here, pellets are about $7-8 per bag.

They'll last forever. I'm coming up on a year in my cage without changing them, but I do keep mine covered with a layer of fleece because its much easier to get the poop out when the pellets are fresh or after the pellets have been stirred.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
You'll need 3-4 bags of pellets to get good coverage. Here, pellets are about $7-8 per bag.

They'll last forever. I'm coming up on a year in my cage without changing them, but I do keep mine covered with a layer of fleece because its much easier to get the poop out when the pellets are fresh or after the pellets have been stirred.

What?s the average size of a bag? Do you buy your bags from a local store or is there a website where I can order some for that price?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pellets come in 40 pound bags. They're so heavy you really don't want to buy online because the shipping is a killer. Look for a farm/feed store in your area. Make sure the pellets don't smell strongly of pine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.