Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Unknown discharge- Diarrhea??

Alyssa Wolf

Cavy Slave
When I wake up in the morning I clean up Casper's cage of poos and then give him some cuddles. This time when I picked him up I felt something wet and thought he may be peeing. When I looked at my arm there was some different smears of what is pictured below on me and his belly. Since this stuff was on his belly I cant tell where it came from. I also did not notice anything like it any where else in his cage and his poos were normal. Casper has been eating and drinking the way he normally has. And the discharge does smell faintly of poo, but so does his belly.

036.jpg

Please help us. I really need specific and factual information from experienced owners!​

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please don't make multiple posts about the same problem. One is sufficient. And keep all your medical posts about a pig on the same thread -- it will make it easier for people to respond.

How old is he? And did the stuff dry really hard, or is it still soft?

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
That appears to be the same stuff that our Roger has with his poo every once in a while. I asked the vet and she said his was just mucus and is normal for him.

Alyssa Wolf

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry about the multiple posts, I don't know how to work this website yet... I posted and it didn't say I posted so I tried again out of fear it wouldn't post and I wouldn't get help.

Casper is about 1 year old and his poos are naturally moist and are not any different then his normal.

Alyssa Wolf

Cavy Slave
Bpatters upon rereading I realized I answered your question wrong. When I get home I will see how it dried.

Alyssa Wolf

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the multiple posts, I am unsure how to work site still. I just checked and it dried crusty like. Casper is about 1 year old!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
That appears to be the same stuff that our Roger has with his poo every once in a while. I asked the vet and she said his was just mucus and is normal for him.

Usually mucus in the stool is not normal. Has Roger had digestive problems before?

Alyssa, if it dries really hard, it's most likely "boar glue", which is ejaculate. If it's very soft and comes out with his poops, it's most likely mucus, and a cause for concern.

Edited to add that boar glue dries extremely hard, like cement.

What's his diet?

Alyssa Wolf

Cavy Slave
It did dry hard! It is just hard to tell if it came from his bum because it was found all over his stomach area!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's most likely ejaculate, then, which comes from his penis.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I agree that it sounds like boar glue which seems gross and a pain to clean, but all quite normal in the life of a male piggy!
It will dry totally hard and impossible to get off of fleece except to cut it off! I still have some spots on my fleece that are permanent fixtures.

If you can wipe it off when it's wet-do so quickly!

Just wait until it sticks to their hair! Oh Lordy is that a mess and generally takes a while to wear itself off or can be cut off if the hair is long enough.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy , I should have given a longer explanation as to Roger's mucus. Yes, Roger has had intestinal issues but the mucus in his stool was clear and "normal" for Roger. The vet did check it along with a poop sample, to see if there was any signs of overgrowth of bacteria. Happy to report that everything was good and Roger had gained back most of the weight he had lost during his tummy troubles! The vet said as long as it's clear I shouldn't panic about it but if it ever changes color or has blood in it to bring Roger back in ASAP. The mucus helps the poo move along the intestines smoothly. The clear mucus started after we got his health back on track and is not an every day/week thing.

Last edited:

Alyssa Wolf

Cavy Slave
Not to be disgusting but is it normal for boar glue to look that color? This is the first experience I have had with him and boar glue so I don't want to ignore it and have it be something else. Is it normal for it to be found as a gooey ball? Almost as if you rolled it up with your fingers?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not usually colored, but can be. The sure sign of boar glue is that it dries hard as a rock, and you can't get it off of whatever it's stuck to, be it fleece, pig, or anything else.

If it doesn't dry that hard, then it's something else. Could be a bit of mucus. A little is nothing to worry about, but if it continues you might want to address by adjusting his diet and/or a vet visit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.