Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Discussion regarding unsafe 8x8 grids

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have two 2 x 4 cages on a stand, so it is four grids high, four grids long, and two grids wide:

45916-too-tall-will-wobble-429764_4974115263566_1370777161_n.jpg

I'm tall so I don't have any problem reaching the top levels, but shorter people may need a stool. And yes, if your coroplast isn't high enough on the edges the piggies will kick everything out of their cage and onto your floor (but this is true for any height of cage).

I zip tied at every point- but my cage is supported in the middle. The lack of support on your cage will likely cause it to wobble unless you find a way to secure the bottom.

Why are the guinea pigs on the bottom level in such small spaces?

Last edited by a moderator:

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Re: Too tall? Will it wobble?

Why are the guinea pigs on the bottom level in such small spaces?

I'm modifying the cage still. Another level is going to be added so they can have the same space everyone else has :) They are both still babies.

pinky

Cavy Slave

I'm modifying the cage still. Another level is going to be added so they can have the same space everyone else has :) They are both still babies.

It looks like 8 space across grids so they can strangle. Even if you use 9 space across grids, cages need to be baby proofed for babies.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

Funny, I didn't ask for advice on my cage. Thank you for your help but I assure you that my cavies are safe.

pinky

Cavy Slave

Funny, I didn't ask for advice on my cage. Thank you for your help but I assure you that my cavies are safe.

ouch...... just voicing concern for your guinea pigs. 8 space grids are NOT safe.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

ouch...... just voicing concern for your guinea pigs. 8 space grids are NOT safe.

It is when your guinea pigs are larger than the average pet store pigs. Their heads do not fit through the grids.

You just seemed a little preachy to me- hence my response. I apologize if I seem snarky but I really wasn't looking for cage advice.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Have you seen this link? (broken link removed)

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

Have you seen this link? (broken link removed)

Yes. I have been using these grids for over a year and have not had any problems. The smallest pig's cage is completely reinforced ("baby proofed"). The remaining pigs are too large to fit their heads into the cubes.

pinky

Cavy Slave

It is when your guinea pigs are larger than the average pet store pigs. Their heads do not fit through the grids.

You just seemed a little preachy to me- hence my response. I apologize if I seem snarky but I really wasn't looking for cage advice.

You said they were babies. 8 space across grids aren't even safe for adults.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

I said two of them are babies. One of the babies is four months old. The base of her head is larger than the grid hole. It could never fit. She still has a "baby-proof" side because there are boars next time her and I didn't want anyone to get any bright ideas. The other IS baby-proof because she is much smaller and her head could conceivably fit through.

None of my guinea pigs stick their heads through the grids. They are not going to suddenly drop dead after living in the same style cage for over a year.

pinky

Cavy Slave

I said two of them are babies. One of the babies is four months old. The base of her head is larger than the grid hole. It could never fit. She still has a "baby-proof" side because there are boars next time her and I didn't want anyone to get any bright ideas. The other IS baby-proof because she is much smaller and her head could conceivably fit through.

None of my guinea pigs stick their heads through the grids. They are not going to suddenly drop dead after living in the same style cage for over a year.

Guinea pigs have strangled in cages made with 8 spaces grids. Just because you think their heads couldn't fit doesn't mean one can't squeeze its head through and be unable to get it back out. You're lucky none of yours have gotten their heads caught up to now but you're putting them at risk in a cage with 8 space grids. I'm not trying to be argumentative but they are NOT safe. You should double up the grids or replace them with 9 space ones. Some guinea pigs have died from living in cages with 8 spaces grids and I imagine their owners never thought that it could happen.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

Does anyone actually have any documented cases of a guinea pig dying or is this just something you're using to support your claim?

I haven't had a problem yet. I'm modifying the cage anyway so will add coroplast walls that reach high enough to prevent them from getting hurt. Thank you for your concern.

pinky

Cavy Slave

Does anyone actually have any documented cases of a guinea pig dying or is this just something you're using to support your claim?

I haven't had a problem yet. I'm modifying the cage anyway so will add coroplast walls that reach high enough to prevent them from getting hurt. Thank you for your concern.

I've had a guinea pig get it's head caught in a very small hole in a box when I was doing a transport for the rescue I volunteer with. The shelter boxed the pups for me and while in transport, my kids noticed one stuck its head through and strangling. What was frightening was that we couldn't free it by pulling its head back out or pushing it. I had to rip the box apart to free it. Had they not seen it, I have no doubt it would have died. There are cases of children getting their head caught in between spindles of stairs that supposed to be safe. Grids are made of metal. You can't cut or rip it apart metal grids once they force their head through it...... If they get their head caught, they're doomed. You can't get their head back out again.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

But that doesn't support your claim about the grids. Are there any cases that this is known to have occurred?

pinky

Cavy Slave

But that doesn't support your claim about the grids. Are there any cases that this is known to have occurred?

The spaces are large enough that they can stick their head through. If they squeeze it through, can't get free and struggle, they will strangle. I'm not willing to risk the lives of mine but I can't speak for you so I can only warn you about putting your guinea pigs at risk. A box of grids 9 space grids is a pretty cheap way to keep your adult guinea pigs safe. A cage with 9 space grids should still be baby proofed for pups.

doganddisc

Cavy Slave

The spaces are large enough that they can stick their head through.

But they can't because their heads do not fit. I know where the guinea pigs came from and what their lines are- they have large heads. The size difference between my pet store pig and my other pigs is extreme. The only pig in danger would be the pet store pig (who, like I said, has been with me for over a year without any issue).

If they squeeze it through, can't get free and struggle, they will strangle. I'm not willing to risk the lives of mine but I can't speak for you so I can only warn you about putting your guinea pigs at risk.

Thank you for the warning.

A box of grids 9 space grids is a pretty cheap way to keep your adult guinea pigs safe. A cage with 9 space grids should still be baby proofed for pups.

But I wouldn't need just a single box! I would need three boxes. And for something that I am certain is unnecessary, that just seems like a waste of money. My baby cages ARE baby proofed (see the photo).

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

@pinky , @doganddisc - the both of you need to knock it off! You are both adults. It's time to act like it! Neither one of you started this thread but it seems you both feel like it's your job to monopolize it with your bickering. One or both of you needs to be a grown up enough to just walk away. Enough is enough!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], [MENTION=22122]doganddisc[/MENTION], ditto to everything CavyMama said. Unless you want to be caged, you need to both step back and calm down.

pinky

Cavy Slave

[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], [MENTION=22122]doganddisc[/MENTION], ditto to everything CavyMama said. Unless you want to be caged, you need to both step back and calm down.

I'm under the impression that 8 space grids are unsafe. If that's incorrect, please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.